Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting Is Not Hacking It

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
yes hes not the quickest in the world, but im sure he can finish excellently.

shearer was hardly speedy but he wasnt bad.(no im not comparing him to shearer, just pointing out pace isnt everything)

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
yes hes not the quickest in the world, but im sure he can finish excellently.

shearer was hardly speedy but he wasnt bad.(no im not comparing him to shearer, just pointing out pace isnt everything)

Thats the thing about Gatting, he's strong, good in the air and can lay the ball off well but his finishing isn't that great. I think that is the one thing that will hold him back from making it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought that the reason for bringing him on for Robinson was that both Wilkins and White were getting frustrated with jake at the amount of possession he was losing in and around the centre circle by trying to go on runs and either getting dead -ended or losing the ball. They were yelling at him to hold the ball up rather than go mazy with it.

The thing with gatting is that I think he does hold the ball up well - however last night, his one error could have been costly. But it wasn''t so i for one am happy to give him some :clap: :clap: for the good things he did when he came on.

Wilkins knows him as well as anyone at the Albion. I'm sure it is a confidenc ething, if that header had gone in rather than hit the post on satdi or one goes in off his backside in a league game, he will flourish. I'm CONFIDENT

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
It's definately a confidence thing - once he had scored against Northwich he seemed to have a spring in his step and showed some nice touches and set up one of the goals. Look how consistently jakey and Coxey have performed once they started finding the net

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's only just starting his career, he needs time to learn the professional game. Wilkins is doing a fine job with him, and in the next few seasons we'll see what he's really about.:)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
North Stand Nutter said:
He's only just starting his career, he needs time to learn the professional game. Wilkins is doing a fine job with him, and in the next few seasons we'll see what he's really about.:)

......in the meantime of course the twats will have a field day slaughtering the lad for the crime of not being Rooney and Pele rolled into one.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Gatting was obviously a first class striker at youth level now he needs to learn the game at a senior competitive level. Not may forwards who go on to be great goalscorers score goals in their first few seasons at a senior level (granted im sure there are some high profile exceptions!).

We have a great young team at present with bags of potential to become a truely great albion team in the future possibly better than anything seen since the early nineties but we cant help but find some negative comments on a kid who's 18, playing with other kids trying to get to grasps with senior footy! :shootself

Last edited:

Simster said:
I see no problem with criticising ANY of our players on this discussion forum. Far better than moaning and booing them when they get on the pitch.

But what if the former leads directly to the latter? For me, threads like this embolden those who are in two minds about barracking a player they don't like. Another example of where I don't think it's a case of "it's just a messageboard."

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Tom shouldn't voice his opinion if he genuinely believes it, just that those views (and those of others like him) do have consequences.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So why not loan him to Aldershot or somewhere like that. It certainly didnt do Jake any harm - albeit you could argue he matured at bit later.

When he played in youth football, he scored a lot of goals because his physique enabled him to play a targetman. Now thrown into adult football, he has lost that advantage. But at 19 he is hopefully still growing and developing - and if he can work on his movement, I think he can develop into a Steve Howard-type forward who can be very useful for us.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
When he played in youth football, he scored a lot of goals because his physique enabled him to play a targetman. Now thrown into adult football, he has lost that advantage. But at 19 he is hopefully still growing and developing - and if he can work on his movement, I think he can develop into a Steve Howard-type forward who can be very useful for us.

Exactly. Whilst a strapping lad at youth level coming up against experienced 6ft 14stone centre backs is a different thing altogether!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here