Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Gatting Is Not Hacking It

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would suggest a loan to a Conference side for 3 months in January in order to get more games against a lot of ex league players who will toughen him up. We get the benefit when he returns in March for the last couple of months.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Barnham Seagull said:
I think your right albion dan I was one who critised Robinson, I dont think its right to write gatting off yet maybe in two years time once his matured a bit and learnt the pro game.

so right give the lad a chance he clearly lacking confidence at the moment :clap: :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
Current managerial thinking seems to be 'hey, we're two goals up , or six goals up, let's throw Joe Gatting on. What's the worst that can happen?'. Sorry, but it don't wash.
:

Trying to build up his confidence, which must be tough with an almost audible groan when he comes on, presumably with you joining in the South Stand Sigh :lol:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Tom Hark said:
Are we allowed to be a bit critical after a damn fine win? No? Oh well.

Much as I love the new wizzy Albion 'scoring for fun' regime, I draw the line at Joe Gatting. Current managerial thinking seems to be 'hey, we're two goals up , or six goals up, let's throw Joe Gatting on. What's the worst that can happen?'. Sorry, but it don't wash. The bloke looks sluggish, he doesn't attack the ball like he should, and Cox, Revell and Jakey all look more full of running after eighty minutes than Gatting does after five minutes. It's a bit like when Chris McPhee came back from that extended injury. He never picked up the pace again.

No way to go, Joe :nono:

Don't agree at all. I believe JG will come good, he needs to adapt and learn, of course he does, but I put my faith in Deano on this one, he knows him best.

The fact is that we need to invest in youth, and some of them will take longer to get where they need to be than others. It's not as if decent strikers are falling over themselves to join us.

In my opinion, your comments are wide of the mark, you don't just wake up one day and find yourself to be a top striker, you have to work at it, get given the chance, make some mistakes and deal with it.

I'd personally be happy sacrificing our league position a bit, so that we can blood some youngsters, who are the future of our club, whether they stay, or sold on for much needed cash!

larus

Christ. I never ceased to be amazed. How many games has he played (if you add his total time on the pitch)? 2, 4, 10?

Suddenly, the wise sages of NSC with their wealth of experience know so much more than the management of Brighton who work with the players week-in week-out.

So, he's 19, scored shit loads at youth level, and because he hasn't come in and been outstanding, he's suddenly crap.

We get it on here all the time such as people were saying Jake would never make it (too light-weight), Revell is crap, etc. Same happened with the slagging off of Ian Bell, who is gradually becoming a very good test player.

Give him a season or so, then make a judgement. I would happily accept DW's judgement on this, over the opinions that we can form from seeing him play such a small amount of time.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
larus said:
Christ. I never ceased to be amazed. How many games has he played (if you add his total time on the pitch)? 2, 4, 10?

Suddenly, the wise sages of NSC with their wealth of experience know so much more than the management of Brighton who work with the players week-in week-out.

So, he's 19, scored shit loads at youth level, and because he hasn't come in and been outstanding, he's suddenly crap.

We get it on here all the time such as people were saying Jake would never make it (too light-weight), Revell is crap, etc. Same happened with the slagging off of Ian Bell, who is gradually becoming a very good test player.

Give him a season or so, then make a judgement. I would happily accept DW's judgement on this, over the opinions that we can form from seeing him play such a small amount of time.

Completely agreed!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Looks a bit out of his depth, not yet ready to make a major contribution. See Robinson the last couple of seasons. Give him time. If he isn't hacking it in two seasons then moan about him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
He's really shy and maybe this is contributing to what have been some rather inhibited performances. His style of play is very hussle and bussle so it might be worth sending him out on loan until he builds up his strength and learns to play mens football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see no problem with criticising ANY of our players on this discussion forum. Far better than moaning and booing them when they get on the pitch. And there is clearly no excuse for moaning at an 18 year old when he comes on.

Personally, I'll trust DW on this one. If he sees something in Gatting, then who are we to argue? He's got a decent crop of kids playing very well by the sounds of it.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Simster said:
I see no problem with criticising ANY of our players on this discussion forum. Far better than moaning and booing them when they get on the pitch. And there is clearly no excuse for moaning at an 18 year old when he comes on.

I don't object to THPP coveying his views, I just think he's wrong!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Watch the Northwich goals again.. Rents and Coxys last two (I think). Gatting was involved in both and did well to provide those goals as well as scoring. Ok its a non-league side but 1, he hasn't had many other opportunities and 2, we're all quick to praise Jake's hat-trick against em.

Who knows how good he is? He did very well when dropped in the deep end last season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
give him a bit of time, very difficult to make a impression and get a bit of form when you are getting 10/15 mins here and there.
As said a loan deal would be good for him come January as long as we have cover our selves. You don't score goals all the way through your development and then suddenly become a bad player. What did people expect another Rooney or Owen if he was that good he wouldn't be here. Just give him a bit of time and I think he will become a very good player

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
Darius Henderson played like a statue for us. Never chased a ball.

----

He was the reason Leon Knight scored so many goals early season. As soon as he left Leons goal tally dropped

wcnige

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
plymouth nige said:
Darius Henderson played like a statue for us. Never chased a ball.

I read somewhere that when he played for us he wasnt fully fit? I could be wrong.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
jakes right boot said:
It was exactly the same as Jake last year. Totally useless some of you were saying. Give him time.

dont forget we are mid table in the 3rd division though

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Simster said:

Personally, I'll trust DW on this one. If he sees something in Gatting, then who are we to argue? .

That's a bit revolutionary! Trusting the manager.

:)

Couldn't agree more. DW rates Gatting. All the players rate him as "the best finisher at the club". They all see a lot more of him than we do, and let's face it, know more about the game than we do. Who are we to argue?

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's a confidence thing. When it clicks - and, unfortunately it hasn't clicked just yet - I think it'll click with a vengeance.

Although - with Mssrs Cox, Robinson, Revell, Hammond in such ripe form - we don't actually NEED another goalscorer. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here