Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jocko CLOWN talks in the Argus

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I beg to disagree Al. We need concrete evidence of exactly where we were well McGhee had his first game. I think 5th.

4th October 2003 - Coppell's last match, a 3-0 home win over Blackpool. We are top.
25th October 2003 - Last match before McGhee takes over, a 1-0 home defeat to Stockport County. We are second.
28th October 2003 - McGhee is appointed. Barnsley win 2-1 at home over Wrexham and leapfrog Brighton in to second. We are third.
1st November 2003 - McGhee's first game in charge. We draw 2-2 at Peterborough. We slip to fourth.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Booker's last match in that run
Sat Oct 25th v Stockport left us 2nd

McGhee Appointed Oct 28th 2003

On Tuesday 28th, Barnsley beat wrexham to leapfrog us into second place, forcing us down to third.
On Friday 31st October Colchester also beat wrexham to leapfrog us into third place, pushing us down to fourth.

Table as of Fri 31st October
Colchester United | Match | Table
Colchester's fixture list that season
Colchester United | Match | Fixtures | 2003

McGhee's first match in charge Sat November 1st v Peterborough 2-2 we stayed 4th

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The most shocking thing is that the Argus reporter didn't even check the Argus archives when McGhee said that the club was 10th when he took over. He should have been confronted with the gap between his recollection and the reality.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm not going tomorrow as I simply cannot be arsed with friendlies, but if I was I'd give McGhee a hearty round of applause as he walks towards to the dugout. He did an excellent job at the Albion, got us promoted and kept us in the championship against all the odds. Sadly after the Bristol City game it really was time for him to go as his position had become untenable with both fans and board.

I personally find the over the top attacks on McGhee pretty distasteful considering what he achieved here, and we are currently trying to scrap our way back to the heady heights of the championship with considerably more resources and stability than he had at his disposal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hated getting promoted via the playoffs, I was nearly apopleptic that we survived a season in the Championship. I was delighted when Knight made the Jocko clown sell his best players the following season. I have revelled in watching the shittest football we have played since early Gillingham for the most of the time since he left.

Why the f*** did we ever employ the twat, must rate as the worst Albion manager ever, how dare he take us to our highest position in over a decade :mad:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The most shocking thing is that the Argus reporter didn't even check the Argus archives when McGhee said that the club was 10th when he took over. He should have been confronted with the gap between his recollection and the reality.

Maybe McGhee meant 10 in binary but the reporter thought he meant decimal.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Really?

The previous season we had been relegated, and during the summer we lost

Beasant
Blackwell
Brooker
Zamora
Ingmarrson
Simon Rodger
Kitson

So rebuilding was required. Coppell did an excellent job in the summer, we got lucky with Leon, but we lost 3 matches on the bounce when he took the Majedski shilling.

All about opinions i guess, yes we did lose some good players in the summer but Ingmarrson was only ever on loan and Kitson hardly ever played anyway!

We still had two excellent goalkeepers in Kuipers and Roberts, a very solid defence with Watson, Mayo, Butters, Cullip, Jones, Hinshelwood, Harding and Pethick to choose from. Carpenter Oatway and if we are including loanees Rehman amongst the midfielders. Up front we were a bit light but whether you consider us to have got lucky with Leon or not he was still here.

Coppell managed to get that team playing some good football and were indeed sitting top of the table when he left, so i wouldnt say there was too much rebuilding to be done, and seeing as the only players involved in the play-off final that were not here before Mcghee took over were Paul Reid and Chris Iwelumo, It wouldnt seem that Mcghee thought so either despite what he says now!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Mcghee gave me some my best moments as an albion fan....beating Palace away, Swindon playoff game, Bristol Playoff final and of course staying up the next season aswell wasa great feat.

In regards to people slagging him off and the insults, heres one for you....why dont you all fcuk off!

I wouldn't go that far but I don't have a problem with a bloke who had to rebuild a team (that was punching above it's weight) on a shoestring.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I never took to mcghee. I think because he needed the play offs when I felt Coppell was looking at comfortable automatic promotion, and a good shout, though not necessarily definite 1st place.

I was more impressed that he kept us up than I was that he got promotion.

But his constant picking of Henderson despite him repeating the same point-costing mistakes, and seemingly giving up on the league sooner than he should have frustrated me.

Having said that, I would give him a round of applause if I was going, regardless of my personal feelings toward him and his time, the facts are he got us promoted, kept us up for an extra year which itself brought in more money, as well as his friendship with strachan getting over the odds for Virgo, bringing in vital money to help the club keep ticking over.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
All about opinions i guess, yes we did lose some good players in the summer but Ingmarrson was only ever on loan and Kitson hardly ever played anyway!

We still had two excellent goalkeepers in Kuipers and Roberts, a very solid defence with Watson, Mayo, Butters, Cullip, Jones, Hinshelwood, Harding and Pethick to choose from. Carpenter Oatway and if we are including loanees Rehman amongst the midfielders. Up front we were a bit light but whether you consider us to have got lucky with Leon or not he was still here.

Coppell managed to get that team playing some good football and were indeed sitting top of the table when he left, so i wouldnt say there was too much rebuilding to be done, and seeing as the only players involved in the play-off final that were not here before Mcghee took over were Paul Reid and Chris Iwelumo, It wouldnt seem that Mcghee thought so either despite what he says now!
I thought Robberts retired after the final?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mcghee was highly underrated when he was with us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mcghee was highly underrated when he was with us.

His biggest mistake was following Coppell who is the best manager this club has had since I first went in 1975. Promotion and a season in the Championship still wasn't good enough for some.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
he really should have left after that stoke debacle. things turned unpleasant the season after, he lost the plot and started to sound a bit poisonous.

one thing i really didn't like about him was his constant talking down of the club. used to bang on about how crap withers was and then used that as an excuse when we either lost at home, or he was unable to sign a player he wanted. thing is from a pr perspective, it was hardly conducive or helpful when trying to A attract fans or B generating some atmosphere at home games when the manager keeps banging on about how rubbish the ground and fans are.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Must have been when Coppell left we were top then, but even so he took us from an automatic spot to the play-offs!

Yep you're right - Booker took over for a few games and we slipped down a tad... Though we would've been Champions if Coppell stayed I think...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm not going tomorrow as I simply cannot be arsed with friendlies, but if I was I'd give McGhee a hearty round of applause as he walks towards to the dugout. He did an excellent job at the Albion, got us promoted and kept us in the championship against all the odds. Sadly after the Bristol City game it really was time for him to go as his position had become untenable with both fans and board.

I personally find the over the top attacks on McGhee pretty distasteful considering what he achieved here, and we are currently trying to scrap our way back to the heady heights of the championship with considerably more resources and stability than he had at his disposal.

Agreed!The nasty remarks about Mcghee made by some on this forum are well out of order.
Get a grip on your sad little lives and whilst you are trying to do that get a sense of perspective as well!:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here