Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jocko CLOWN talks in the Argus

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Mark McGhee today admitted he should have ended his love affair with Albion before he was forced out.

But the man sacked as Seagulls manager in the early weeks of 2006/07 insists there will be no hard feelings when he returns to Withdean as Aberdeen boss tomorrow The former Newcastle, Celtic and Aberdeen goalgetter was harshly dubbed Mid-Table McGhee by some fans when he arrived as Albion boss early in 2003/04.

He answered that by leading them to promotion via the play-offs on the back of a rock solid defence built around Guy Butters and Danny Cullip.

The Seagulls then achieved an even greater feat by staying in the Championship for a year.

However key man Adam Virgo was sold to Celtic for £1.5million in the summer of 2005 and Albion went down without too much resistance a year later.

The manager survived calls for his dismissal in the summer of 2006 but Dean Wilkins was promoted to be his assistant.

After opening the League One season with two wins, McGhee saw his tenure ended on the back of three straight defeats with Wilkins taking over, initially as caretaker.

Now, as he brings his current side south, McGhee said: “Brighton were tenth in their division when I joined them in the October (2003).

“My brief was to rebuild the team and keep them up but we got promoted, via the play-offs, instead.

“We took 30,000 fans to Cardiff for the play-off and beat Bristol City 1-0, so everyone was delighted with that.

“It meant going from playing in front of 6,000 fans some weeks to going to places like Leeds and West Ham and the big crowds they attract.

“We knew it would be tough the following season. Against all the odds we managed to stay up but then I was told I had to sell my best players.

“Brighton needed the money to help fund plans to build a new stadium and pay the higher wages the players got because we had been promoted.

“I probably should have left the club then but I was persuaded to stay because they weren’t worried if we slipped back, they had a long term plan and saw me as part of it.

“Then there was a change on the board and my relationship with the directors wasn’t so good so I felt it was best to leave.”

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Must have been when Coppell left we were top then, but even so he took us from an automatic spot to the play-offs!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So he got it wrong big deal. Deffo get a round of applause from me.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What the hell did he have to rebuild when he arrived? Coppell had put a promotion team together that he managed to scrap through the play offs with

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
"My brief was to re-build the team and keep them up but we got promoted via the play-offs instead"

Why dont you just try and rewrite history then Mark? That team would have needed some serious fuckin rebuilding to have struggled that season!

God i cant stand this prick!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
"My brief was to re-build the team and keep them up but we got promoted via the play-offs instead"

Why dont you just try and rewrite history then Mark? That team would have needed some serious fuckin rebuilding to have struggled that season!

God i cant stand this prick!

Really?

The previous season we had been relegated, and during the summer we lost

Beasant
Blackwell
Brooker
Zamora
Ingmarrson
Simon Rodger
Kitson

So rebuilding was required. Coppell did an excellent job in the summer, we got lucky with Leon, but we lost 3 matches on the bounce when he took the Majedski shilling.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Mcghee gave me some my best moments as an albion fan....beating Palace away, Swindon playoff game, Bristol Playoff final and of course staying up the next season aswell wasa great feat.

In regards to people slagging him off and the insults, heres one for you....why dont you all fcuk off!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Sorry, didn't he get us promoted after Coppell left?

And then keep us up on a tiny budget when we were dead certs to go down the following season?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Should have left after after the Stoke match which was a complete joke.
But he will get a good response from the majority of fans tomorrow as overall he did a good job for us, only the nobs will give him a hard time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We were top when Coppell left. Booker had a couple of games, after his last game we were second.

The teams below us then played their games in hand, which led to us dropping down to fourth for McGhee's first game.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
People seem to forget that after Coppell left we lost 3 under Booker so when McGhee took charge we had won 8 and lost 5. On league games under him we won 14 and lost 8 so he carried on the momentum.

So in short we weren't 10th but we were not top either not by a long shot so wind your necks in and give Mark a standing ovation tomorrow.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I beg to disagree Al. We need concrete evidence of exactly where we were well McGhee had his first game. I think 5th.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Mcghee gave us all some good times and some not so good but on balance I would say he was good for the Albion, remember while he was here he had some very difficult individuals to deal with and all in all I think got the best any one could out of an average team.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don't know how you can call him a Jocko clown El Pres when the other day you banged on about him giving us our highest league placing in 17 years and raked in a load of money. You defended him against TCB comments.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I would suggest that taking over a team going well mid-season is not without its own problems. If you get promoted, big deal, they were going to anyway, if not, it's all your fault.

Keeping that squad in the Championship first season up was an achievement given the gulf in resources between us and many of the sides in the division, so I'll be applauding him on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here