Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jobs...

to be fair, theres a culture thats been fostered by this government that a degree is a magic ticket to instant emplyment. never mind that theres 50000 other graduate each year and employers wont real skills rather than theortical fluff, students are led to believe they will walk into a related job upon graduation.

Very true, Mr B

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Work out who you would like to work for; get a shortlist together.

Phone them up and offer to volunteer for nowt to gain some experience. Work your bollocks off, do a good job, make yourself invaluable and you will get an opportunity when a paying job comes along that you are interested in.

Oh, and don't shag your boss's girlfriend
:blush:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Nobody will "give" you a job. Companies do not "give" jobs.

They will employ you if, and only if, they think you can help them solve their problem.

So step 1, work out what a company's problem is. Step 2 explain to them how you can solve or help solve it.

Over-simplified of course, but true nevertheless.

Sometimes it's a matter of mindset and "gissajob" is the wrong mindset.

Now I'm not saying this is what you are saying, but it may be what the companies are hearing.

Absolutely right. As an employer, it's always impressive in interviews if someone's taken the time to find out about your company and also ways in which they can improve it.

I don't owe anybody a living. But if someone can bring value to my business, then I'll always be interested to talk with them.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Thanks everyone, the advise is well received. First off though:

My degree is probably one of the fastest expanding businesses around at the moment. Things like Google Earth and location based technology (like GPS) are massive. Also the "real world" applications of it are like you said in mapping. You tell me how a national/regional/multi national company can operate withough consulting some sort of map, they can't. It has one of the highest employment rates of any degree, it's just a bugger there's not much entry level stuff around here at the moment.

Thanks for the advice the rest of you though..

p.s we were knows at the GISers as uni which was nice....

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Thanks everyone, the advise is well received. First off though:

My degree is probably one of the fastest expanding businesses around at the moment..... It has one of the highest employment rates of any degree, it's just a bugger there's not much entry level stuff around here at the moment.

one. spell advice correctly.

two. a degree is not a business.

three. stop lying.

Well ... I can understand why public authorities might benefit from employing someone who understood GIS.

Back in 2003, I put together a bid for government funding for a GIS-based database system that would be useful to small transport operators in East Sussex. The project won a grant of £574,000 from the Department for Transport, but implementation has been stalled for years - basically because there was no-one around East Sussex County Council who could understand how it might be useful.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
What ever happened to people getting proper jobs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
haha, I was bloody lumbered with those 2 kilos of coke for a week before I could find anyone who wanted them... you bastards:lolol:
Have you considered the Colombian jobs market ?:lol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What ever happened to people getting proper jobs.

No idea? when I started work it was all about picking your trade, starting at the bottom and working your way up. Now it's all about education, getting degree's and trying to walk into top jobs. I know which way i prefer it.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
No idea? when I started work it was all about picking your trade, starting at the bottom and working your way up. Now it's all about education, getting degree's and trying to walk into top jobs. I know which way i prefer it.

Same here,although i couldnt have survived now on my YTS wages.:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here