Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

job personality test

poke

Oct 19, 2003
has anyone had one of them personality tests when applying for a job (forgotten the name for it).
ive got one on friday, was wondering what sort of things they ask

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
stupid things mainly . . .I think theyre also designed to see if you lie, the questions are similar so as to show up any inconsistencies.

Its not so much a test of whether your capable, but it does show that the employer is incapable of making personal jusgements and hiring the right people . . . .my advice . . . .treat with caution!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Psychometric testing

Designed to give the company an idea of what sort of a person you are (team player or miserable trouble-making loner).

Very difficult to cheat the system as most of the tests are very cleverly worded. My advice (seriously) is to try and take the test seriously and use the one-to-one interview to convince them to give you the job.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The one I had consisted of pairs of completely unconnected statements like

(a) I sometimes feel pressured when asked to work to a deadline
(b) I enjoy carp fishing on Wednesday evenings

and for each pair I had to tick the one that applied more to me.

Then they asked me some questions about the results, which were even more strange and confusing. I think it's designed to make it impossible to cheat, as there's no way you can try and work out what they want to hear from questions like that.

All rubbish, most job interviews are decided within the first 30 seconds of meeting anyway.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
These personality tests are total junk. They may as well ask you for your star sign because they are about as valid scientifically.
Nevertheless, if they are stupid enough to think they are important you should take it seriously. They usually try and get at whether you are outgoing vs introverted, teamplayer vs loner, analytically vs intutitive. Depending on the job you're going for you should answer appropiately. For example, if it's a sales job you probably want to come across as outgoing. If it's banking/accounting type job you'll want to come across as analytically.

poke

Oct 19, 2003
edna krabappel said:
The one I had consisted of pairs of completely unconnected statements like

(a) I sometimes feel pressured when asked to work to a deadline
(b) I enjoy carp fishing on Wednesday evenings

and for each pair I had to tick the one that applied more to me.

Then they asked me some questions about the results, which were even more strange and confusing. I think it's designed to make it impossible to cheat, as there's no way you can try and work out what they want to hear from questions like that.

All rubbish, most job interviews are decided within the first 30 seconds of meeting anyway.

im worried now, cause i dont go carp fishing so therefore i feel presured when asked to meet a deadline which isnt good.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Over here (Canada) you get questions like

Why are tennis balls fuzzy

Why are man hole covers round

Why are dinosaurs extinct

etc.....

Expected answers

So you can tell when they are worn out

So they can not fall in (square ones can)

They failed to adapt...

Something like that.

Sounds like you will get questions like

If you are put on a team and one of your coworkers is doing drugs on his break would you

1) Tell your boss
2) Do nothing
3) Approach your coworker and ask him to stop
4) Join him

I don't know the right answer but I'm pretty sure its not #4

Cheers,

David

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have done a few over he years and frankly, they are nothing but a load of toss. Any employer who relies on them should be avoided.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Has anyone on here been subjected to a graphology test. Fortunately, I haven't (my handwriting looks like an ancient runic script transcription of Serbo-Croat) but I hear that they're increasingly popular.

Sounds like even more bollocks than psychometric testing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here