Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Joao Pedro - How good is he?..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was worried a struggling big 6 team might come after him over the summer, but not even any serious murmurs that I saw, certainly no saga. Hugely positive as it shows he’s happy here and not agitating to get out after his breakout season (unlike certain no Marcs).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It irritates me when a striker scores goals and someone says oh, but it includes penalties. This isn’t personal DJ NOBO because many people do it.

Goals are goals regardless of how they go in, from the spot or a wicked deflection off a defender’s bum.
Here's a scenario for you TB.

A player scores 10 EPL goals 3 seasons in a row, but took 6 pens a season, scoring 5 of them each year.
That player gets a move to Liverpool, where Salah is on pens. They score 5 goals per season for 3 years in a row (0 pens).

Just looking at the goals, regardless of opportunity to score pens or not might lead to a false conclusion that they were twice as good before the move?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Here's a scenario for you TB.

A player scores 10 EPL goals 3 seasons in a row, but took 6 pens a season, scoring 5 of them each year.
That player gets a move to Liverpool, where Salah is on pens. They score 5 goals per season for 3 years in a row (0 pens).

Just looking at the goals, regardless of opportunity to score pens or not might lead to a false conclusion that they were twice as good before the move?
It shows a reliable striker capable of scoring goals with confidence. The scenario I’m referring to, is people denigrating a player by writing off the penalties.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
He's a good player. The £100m future £100m doesn't happen if he doesn't improve his non-penalty goal scoring, and that doesn't happen if he doesn't improve his decision making. He still has lots to learn about when to pass, when to dribble, when to shoot and when not to.

Think he is developing in the right direction and he seems to have right mentality to be able to fulfill his potential.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's a good player. The £100m future £100m doesn't happen if he doesn't improve his non-penalty goal scoring, and that doesn't happen if he doesn't improve his decision making. He still has lots to learn about when to pass, when to dribble, when to shoot and when not to.

Think he is developing in the right direction and he seems to have right mentality to be able to fulfill his potential.
It worked for Harry Kane. I don’t know his ratio of open goals to penalties but I imagine it’s close.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It irritates me when a striker scores goals and someone says oh, but it includes penalties. This isn’t personal DJ NOBO because many people do it.

Goals are goals regardless of how they go in, from the spot or a wicked deflection off a defender’s bum.
A player doesn't need to make a clever run, beat a defender, or get on the end of a cross is the point.
Which situation do you think you would have the best chance of scoring from, a penalty kick that someone else won, or a through ball from Dunk, you have to run onto, hold off the defender, and beat a keeper rushing off his line?
If you are in a team with Zaha picking up penalties for you in the championship, you might score more than Messi in a season, as Glen Murray did, but which one would you say is the better player? If you can't afford Messi, but can afford either Murray or Zaha, do you want the bloke that puts the penalties away, or the bloke that gets the penalties awarded at twice the rate of anyone else?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Georginio Rutter 😉
Rutter couldn't finish off a cheeseburger. Not his strongest asset.

The £100m valuations are just NSC getting silly again. He's a decent player, but he would need more to his capabilities to reach that valuation. Unless you are Chelsea. of course.

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
A player doesn't need to make a clever run, beat a defender, or get on the end of a cross is the point.
Which situation do you think you would have the best chance of scoring from, a penalty kick that someone else won, or ...
Nobody appears to be giving JP any credit for having "won" a fair proportion of the penalties himself!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here