Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jo Yeates' life was only worth 20 years

Tabak guilty of Yeates murder - Yahoo!

tabak6.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And will the perv be out before then, or transferred to a cozy (far more liberal) Dutch prison?

He shouldn't be let out until he is an old man. As well as the killing, the Yeates family will be destroyed forever by his sick and selfish deeds.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It's not a swap deal, you know. It's a court of law. It might be that the judge knows what he's doing.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
The sentance was life imprisonment as this is the only sentence that can be given for a Common Law offence.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I'm glad that sick **** is behind bars. Should have been double that though! If I had my way, i'd have him hung, drawn and quartered.

The incident took place directly opposite my mates bedroom window and every time i go there, the area has a strange atmosphere. Possibly due to the fact I went to the same school with the poor girl. Even though she was 3 years older than myself, the school was so small that everyone knew each other. At least now the family have some sort of closure on the matter.

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
Hope he rots in prison. I don't agree with capital punishment but sentencing in this country is a sick joke- this disgusting excuse for a human being should never be allowed out.

Jo Yeates family will have to relive this hell all over again as he eventually reaches the possibility of of being released.........this is wrong

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I prefer he has to go to prison than capital punishment, his life will not be worth living once word spreads what he did in a Category A.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Hope he rots in prison. I don't agree with capital punishment but sentencing in this country is a sick joke- this disgusting excuse for a human being should never be allowed out.

Jo Yeates family will have to relive this hell all over again as he eventually reaches the possibility of of being released.........this is wrong

nearly everyone will be having a good time this xmas with family and friends, the poor family will only know this now for the day that their daughter was found.

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
nearly everyone will be having a good time this xmas with family and friends, the poor family will only know this now for the day that their daughter was found.

i didn't think about that. I just can't imagine their pain and ongoing suffering.

solitary confinement for life would still be too good for such a piece of scum.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Vincent Tabak has been found guilty of the murder of Bristol landscape architect Jo Yeates and sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in jail.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm glad that sick **** is behind bars. Should have been double that though! If I had my way, i'd have him hung, drawn and quartered.

Yeah, the family said that they wished capital punishment had been an option.

The paradox of that of course is that he wouldn't have been convicted of murder if capital punishment had been an option. There probably would have been a hung jury or possibly an acquittal.
It was only a 10-2 majority as it was, given the widely recognised reluctance of jurors to convict in capital cases, there'd have been no chance of a murder charge sticking.

He's going to have a rough time of it for 20 years so I wouldn't have thought he had it easy.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
And will the perv be out before then, or transferred to a cozy (far more liberal) Dutch prison?

He shouldn't be let out until he is an old man. As well as the killing, the Yeates family will be destroyed forever by his sick and selfish deeds.

Have I missed something ? I know he is a murdering scum, but a perv ? was she sexually assaulted as well?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I believe in much of the US, conviction of first degree murder, that being premeditated murder, carries life with no parole.

Where as second degree murder, less/no emphasis on the premeditated side of things, gets you 20-30 years.

Currently being argued, by either side, here:-
Co-Worker Arrested in Murder of Lululemon Employee

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
My first reaction is that 20 years is not enough for taking someone else's life, especially that of a young woman, but if that is the tariff then the Judge's hands are largely tied.

Having visited various wings inside higher category Prisons for work matters over the years I fully expect it will be an intimidating stretch for Tabak. Not to be underestimated. He will receive a real hard time and a nasty shock from the loss of his liberty, the oppressive 'system' and from his fellow inmates. If there was a sexual element to his offence then it will be even worse.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The issue I have with the conviction is that in the British Criminal law system, matters have to be proved beyond reasonable doubt. If two jurors could NOT decide that he was guilty, how can it possibly be beyond reasonable doubt?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The issue I have with the conviction is that in the British Criminal law system, matters have to be proved beyond reasonable doubt. If two jurors could NOT decide that he was guilty, how can it possibly be beyond reasonable doubt?

Each juror has to decide on the basis of beyond reasonable doubt not the whole jury. In this case the judge allowed them a majority verdict and given he didn't allow evidence to be admissible which showed tabak had post murder, viewed internet videos showing woman being strangled, tied up in car boots and being left with their tops pulled up in similar fashion to how she was found, it seems he has to be seen a to be even handed.

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I hope the two jurors who didn't find him guilty are embarrassed and haunted by the evidence which was banned from being used. The restrictions on informing the jury of that information should have been lifted - it is ridiculous to say it wasn't relevant to the case. If they'd known about it the jurors' decision would have taken a lot less than 13 hours. He could have got away with manslaughter purely because of over-zealous press bans.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The sentance was life imprisonment as this is the only sentence that can be given for a Common Law offence.

I'm pretty sure there are other sentances available than life for Common Law offences. Kidnap/False Imprisonment are Common Law offences and they don't routinely get life.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tabak attempted to shift the blame towards the landlord, whom was effectively hung, drawn and quartered by the national press.

Let's hope he survives his miserable 20 years and is never returned to society. Killing someone because one is bored...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here