Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Saville: Disgusting

Lush

Mods' Pet
If that's the cost of preventing people being raped, yes.

Well you'd think so, and I'm obviously not condoning it. It was disgusting hateful behaviour. But those were different times, perhaps especially in the music industry.

'I know you're only 13 years old / but I don't wanna see no I.D.' Bet Mick Jagger doesn't sing Stray Cat Blues live anymore.

And while it's easy to hate Jimmy Savile, even god-like DJs like John Peel had questionable attitudes. Whatever you think of Julie Burchill's particular brand of spite, there are some uncomfortable truths in this article. Anyone want to launch a campaign against the memory of John Peel?

Rake's progress | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
those were different times, perhaps especially in the music industry.
As discussed earlier in this thread, I'm not judging the 70s by today's standards, but more the 90s - people could have done something then. If crimes had happened in the past, they were still crimes. Is it suggested that he had stopped his behaviour by the 80s/90s?
Anyone want to launch a campaign against the memory of John Peel?
Sure. Anyone guilty of these crimes should be prosecuted/dragged through the mud. In fact, the more that person was loved, the more uncomfortable, the better, such that the public learn that no one is untouchable.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Well you'd think so, and I'm obviously not condoning it. It was disgusting hateful behaviour. But those were different times, perhaps especially in the music industry.

'I know you're only 13 years old / but I don't wanna see no I.D.' Bet Mick Jagger doesn't sing Stray Cat Blues live anymore.

And while it's easy to hate Jimmy Savile, even god-like DJs like John Peel had questionable attitudes. Whatever you think of Julie Burchill's particular brand of spite, there are some uncomfortable truths in this article. Anyone want to launch a campaign against the memory of John Peel?

Rake's progress | Life and style | guardian.co.uk

Scary and very sad article about John Peel.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
ester rantzen is in some kind of world of shit, it's not like she built her reputation off of the back of protecting children whilst having had any connection with someone ... Like say .... Desmond wilcox (effectively sex pest sa-vile's boss during the 70s)

oooh, i'm coming over all 'daily mail'

thats life!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
And i thought my 'Jim'll Fux It' badge was a spelling mistake.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
From The Times:

In today’s Times story about the allegations surrounding Jimmy Savile, David Sanderson highlighted some quotes from As It Happens, Savile’s 1974 autobiography, that nobody else seems to have picked up on. It’s strange that they haven’t, because they are startling:

[Savile] writes of an incident at the Mecca Locarno ballroom in Leeds, where he worked as a DJ during the 1950s, when a female police officer came in with a photograph of “an attractive girl who had run away from a remand home”.

Savile writes: "'Ah,' says I all serious, 'if she comes in I’ll bring her back tomorrow but I'll keep her all night first as my reward'." He then writes that the girl did go into the club and "agreed that I hand her over if she could stay at the dance, [and] come home with me". He wrote that he did then hand her over to the “lady of the law…[who] was dissuaded from bringing charges against me by her colleagues, for it was well known that were I to go I would probably take half the station with me".

I repeat, this is Savile’s autobiography. It wasn’t winkled out of him by a cunning interviewer; he didn’t let it slip when he was pissed. It wasn’t a post-modern joke. Rather, these are words he wrote in a book, which were read by a publisher, and presumably by lawyers, and by reviewers, and by readers.

How can nobody have noticed? Right now, many are presumably wondering how his behaviour can have been concealed for so long. But it wasn’t concealed. It was right out there, in plain view, and nobody wanted to see.

It seems Savile's way of operating was to get to know local and national people of very high importance who shared similar tastes whom he could then use to help protect himself. A slimy character who would not hesitate to bring a load of others down if he went. Seem to recall he was incredibly litigious when it came to his public image.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Didn't Louis Theroux do a program with him? Did he ask any questions in relation to any allegations?

It seems that, like Hillsborough, a lot of people knew a lot but said nothing (allegedly, etc, etc).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Serious question:
What age does a man/woman have to be for them to be guilty of sex with a minor, and is the charge the same regardless of their age/gender, eg, if a boyfriend and girlfriend have sex on the eldest's 16th birthday, but a day before the other's 16th birthday, what is the crime, etc.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Didn't Louis Theroux do a program with him? Did he ask any questions in relation to any allegations?

It seems that, like Hillsborough, a lot of people knew a lot but said nothing (allegedly, etc, etc).

Yes, in 2000 - there's a brief clip in Exposure, where Louis asks and Jimmy casually denies being a paedophile, but it's half-hearted and ambiguous.

Just watched it, and have to say it's very damming of what JS did do, and other people didn't do. Ranzen is right about not blaming the victims, but plenty of adults seemed to ignore it.

Jul 20, 2003
I've never had sex with a teenager and never will (unless I become wealthy and famous)

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
David icke blogged about saville a few years back and even found a picture of saville at that school in jersey that was in the news because of abuse years ago. He reckoned saville denied ever going there but was in a photo that ike put up of the home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here