Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy Melia on the radio

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Jimmy Melia helped to create an FA Cup bandwagon that proved unstoppable. His enthusiasm for it, especially after Liverpool away, was infectious. Unfortunately everyone leapt aboard and no-one bothered too much about the league form. That said, what fantastic memories on that FA cup run. I don't know if we'll ever get there again, while I do believe we will one day get to the Premiership - so thanks Jimmy for a brilliant memory filled cup run. Legend in my book.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Did Melia invent those great big foam hands that everyone had on at Wembley? I don't remeber seeing them before '83, but see them all over the shop now at sporting events.

I cannot be certain but I think it was intriduced before then. we did have those dreadful polystyrene bowler hats!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
According to Wikipedia - he managed Leatherhead in 1996 but that was his only involvement with football after Brighton.

Mike Bailey was with Leatherhead, a mate of mine played against them around that time and he was there. But his role at that time was more a 'Director of Football' and not exactly the Manager, so he told me.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I respect that many posters will have fond memories of Melia. I for one found his publicity antics embaraasing and think that he was part of the reason we were relegated. the players managed themselves and were a lot more up for the cup than turning in decent performances in the league.

i recall that on a few Fridays before league games a 'clique of players' alledgedely were on the town in a worst state of wear.

Also his stunt when he was dismissed was acutely embarrassing.

Could you elaborate on his publicity antics and stunt on dismissal, Carwash?

I was only 11/12 in 1983 , so although I remember the onfield stuff and being at games, I don't recall the off-field TV stuff as much.

I don't care if he was a chancer, an embarrasement or whatever. He gave us the best day out ever as an Albion fan. And all his daft antics just added to the feeling that something special was going on.
I'm sure others must agree that the feeling of standing at Wembley watching Brighton walk out onto the pitch against Man U in the FA Cup Final more than made up for Melia's querks (sp?)
Bloody hell it gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

Funny but when Barry Lloyd dd the same thing itd idn't quite have the same effect..........:D

I was only 11/12 in 1983 , so although I remember the onfield stuff and being at games, I don't recall the off-field TV stuff as much.

He was in the North Stand during a game .........................

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I respect that many posters will have fond memories of Melia. I for one found his publicity antics embaraasing and think that he was part of the reason we were relegated. the players managed themselves and were a lot more up for the cup than turning in decent performances in the league.

i recall that on a few Fridays before league games a 'clique of players' alledgedely were on the town in a worst state of wear.

Spot on Car Wash, Melia was no more than a cheer leader, the cup run was about the team being steered by a small committee of senior players aided and abetted by the late George Aitken.
It worked on one off games, bar the last one, but clearly league form suffered as a result.
Jimmy's nickname with the media at the time was 'FIFA' because there was a fee for this and and a fee for that.
When it comes to the opening of Falmer, I'd have the likes of Brady, Gritt and even Jeff Wood in the queue before the old disco dancer!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Cap'n..it went like this.

He stood in the then uncovered North Stand and courted publicity in Cattlin's first game. The camera's were there for the visit of Sheff wed ( I think). He looked like coco the clown with his slaphead and rosy cheeks.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
i remember that game , it was Sheffield Weds and there were about 2k Wednesday supporters in the north east corner singing "you're just a bald headed bastard"

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Cap'n..it went like this.

He stood in the then uncovered North Stand and courted publicity in Cattlin's first game. The camera's were there for the visit of Sheff wed ( I think). He looked like coco the clown with his slaphead and rosy cheeks.

:lolol::lolol:
Ta :thumbsup:

i remember that game , it was Sheffield Weds and there were about 2k Wednesday supporters in the north east corner singing "you're just a bald headed bastard"

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War

In the 1982/1983 season, our away form was diabolical. We just couldn't hold onto leads, and we were just dreadful.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

:lolol:

That came back to haunt them in our cup semi final! :D

Strangely I recall more vivid info from that GLORIOUS day at Highbury than I do for Wembley!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here