Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy McNulty says why he turned down Brighton

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
It is the fault of the Albion board for bidding for a player we have little or no hope of getting just to look ambitious...

Unbelieveable, absolutely cannot win, people moan about the signings not being could enough, so Adams and Knight go for someone who looks like he could be very good for us now they're accussed of going for someone 'we have no hope of getting', crazy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sub-text of McNulty's quote is that players who believe their careers are on the up are currently not going to look at the Albion. So we get lumbered with the rest. Great :rolleyes:
All the more reason why a decent start was required. All the more reason why THICKY's "I didn't realise I had to be in the top 6 in October" comment is looking f***ing stupid now.

So why didn't you realise? Didn't you know there was a transfer window in January where we'd be looking for promising players currently playing at our level?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It is the same as making a bid for Byfield when he was Millwall's only regular scorer.

Why waste time on trying to sign an ambitious player who is settled in the North West at a better team than us? Do our scouts etc not look beyond the on the pitch performances? Does nobody sound out agents etc about how happy someone is where they are or look at off the pitch factors?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It is the same as making a bid for Byfield when he was Millwall's only regular scorer.

Why waste time on trying to sign an ambitious player who is settled in the North West at a better team than us? Do our scouts etc not look beyond the on the pitch performances? Does nobody sound out agents etc about how happy someone is where they are or look at off the pitch factors?

Bloody hell mate! That sounds a bit professional!

This is the Albion, what the hell are you thinking?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
So are you saying that we shouldn't bid for anyone from a team in a higher league position and/or who are north of Watford?

We certainly shouldn't bid for someone who is in a better team than us, in a better league position than us, on the other side of the country, playing regularly and being watched by better clubs. We clearly arent going to be offering a bankbusting salary and we clearly don't have much else to offer.

Unbelieveable, absolutely cannot win, people moan about the signings not being could enough, so Adams and Knight go for someone who looks like he could be very good for us now they're accussed of going for someone 'we have no hope of getting', crazy.

Are you suggesting that we had a hope of getting him then?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
We certainly shouldn't bid for someone who is in a better team than us, in a better league position than us, on the other side of the country, playing regularly and being watched by better clubs. We clearly arent going to be offering a bankbusting salary and we clearly don't have much else to offer.

If the club came out and said something that echoed exactly what you've said there, this board would be full of angry criticism of them for not being ambitious, not wanting to pay the right money, etc., etc. Based on your thoughts, we should only be going for players in lesser teams than us! Not sure how that will help.

They really can't win with some people can they? And, of course, some really don't want them to.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I cant see the problem in us bidding for him. Infact it would show a complete lack of ambition if we set our sites on just Southerners.

The building of Falmer is an attraction. But what has let us down is our league position. Even midtable would have been better as Micky could have said "look son, we are building a new ground and although we are mid table I have the go ahead to build a new team to challenge for a play off place this season or the league next season. Look at our potential."

But the reality is that we may end up in Div 4. What decent player in Div 3 wants to take the chance of that?

A professional management/board would have alternatives as back up. So I hope we have plans for another left back and I dont mean Kerry Mayo.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
No shocks there, don't blame the bloke at all...but I suppose SOMEHOW it will be made out to be the fault of the Albion board...

Well, indirectly it obviously is. They are the ones who sacked a bright young manager and brought back a guy who has been hounded out of every job since he walked-out on us before. If we were at the top of the league McNulty may have been more interested?

The only way to get players to join us in this mess is to pay them over the odds. Like Man City are trying to get Champions League quality players - when they are miles away from qualification. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen with our Club's financial position.

To ba fair, if Adams could get the players we have playing to their ability (as against Millwall, Leicester and Man City), the Board would not be under so much pressure to spend money.

What I do not understand is, that if we are short of money - why are we looking to invest £150k on a full back when we have no quality in midfield and no third striker to cover for injuries and give the Manager options?

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton

How about you looking beyond the pitch performances to why Wilkins was sacked ..

attracting anyone until falmer is going to be very difficult.

With respect I don't agree. If we had a half decent team playing half decent football with a half decent manager going in an upwards direction I think we would attract the right sort of players - we did last season.

Word gets round very quickly in football about rubbish teams and who would want to come on loan to one and find they are either not played or played in the wrong position - perhaps only players who are used to the weird and not so wonderful MA?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here