Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy McNulty says why he turned down Brighton

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Jimmy McNulty told Stockportcounty.com earlier today that he has turned down the opportunity to move to League One rivals Brighton & Hove Albion.

Although the two clubs had agreed a fee for the popular defender, McNulty felt he had a better opportunity of furthering his career by staying at Edgeley Park.

"I was told last week that I could talk to Brighton, but I turned the chance down," said Jimmy.

"There are a number of factors involved in a move. One was that Brighton was a long way from my home, and another was that County are in a much better position and pushing for the playoffs."

Our full interview with Jimmy Mac will feature tomorrow (Jan 23) on Friday Night County Night.

Meanwhile, Anthony Pilkington is currently in talks with unnamed club about a potential move away from Edgeley Park that could be concluded before the weekend.

Full details will appear here on Stockportcounty.com as soon as they are available.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It was pretty obvious from the start he wasn't going to leave a team near the play offs for a team at the other end of the country scrapping for survival.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But still remember everyone, if Wilkins was in charge we'd be on 8 points right now. Honest.

:thud: :thud: :thud:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No shocks there, don't blame the bloke at all...but I suppose SOMEHOW it will be made out to be the fault of the Albion board...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sub-text of McNulty's quote is that players who believe their careers are on the up are currently not going to look at the Albion. So we get lumbered with the rest. Great :rolleyes:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Sub-text of McNulty's quote is that players who believe their careers are on the up are currently not going to look at the Albion. So we get lumbered with the rest. Great :rolleyes:

Indeed. We're pretty much f***ed if we are stuck with this squad for the rest of the season.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No shocks there, don't blame the bloke at all...but I suppose SOMEHOW it will be made out to be the fault of the Albion board...

Poor post.

The BOARD sacked Wilkins who got us to 7th last season. They brought in Adams who has brought us to relegation danger so far this season.

We didn't get him because we are a worse side than we were last season. Agreed?

And the reason why we're a worse side than last season is...... *drumroll*.... we sacked our successful manager, and replaced him with one who has failed so far.

Whose fault is that?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It is the fault of the Albion board for bidding for a player we have little or no hope of getting just to look ambitious...

So are you saying that we shouldn't bid for anyone from a team in a higher league position and/or who are north of Watford?

Oct 20, 2004
walsall

or instead of looking in the championship, find another player like Murray on the way up from league 2, but all we hear about now is players with championship experience who turn out to be injured has beens.

Also you would have thought it good PR to get the news out on seagulls world before the player confirms it, ie say something on the lines of. Our bid for the lad was unsuccesful due to personal reasons of the player'.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Don't blame him.

You can argue about if it was a realistic target?

I hope that Micky and the ream have earmarked potential signings in the months before and that they will all become a reality in the days leading up to the transfer deadline :shootself

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone know what happened to that Leeds left back we were going to get on loan?

It's a shame we didn't get him - it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would turn us down, if Stockport were really wanting to offload players they might have encouraged him to look elsewhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it plan B go back for Richards or harding from Ipswich especially if they sign McNulty. Leeds have a Stoke left back on loan.

What about a Pompey reserve do they have anybody any good.

Or look at the club that buys one from Man City now they have Wayne Bridge a domino knock on effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here