Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy (McNulty) on the Move

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
To be honest, pretty much all of these solutions would be ok with me.
I think playing el abd at right back would be a decent move, if he can do a job LB then surely he can at RB on his stronger foot as Whing and Hoyte have been poor, and therefore Mcnulty can come in on the left. Likewise could play him centre half with Tunni and bring mcnulty in LB, or even play El abd LB with Mcnulty in front as the argus suggests.
The issue for me is who plays left midfield, because i think this three cm's and Bennet leaves us unbalanced across the middle. Mcleod has'nt done enough to earn a start, and to put it kindly im not a fan of Cox. Mcnulty Left mid could work, as his delivery is good and he could also help out El abd if he's struggling. Only thing is, it takes us back to the problem of playing people out of position! We really do need a left winger in january.
Finally, please can Jake Wright be given a chance at centre half with Tunni, i've said many a time, he has had one game there, and was the best player on the pitch but was never given another chance.
Gus: El abd-- Tunni --- Wright --- Mcnulty
PLEASE!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Logical step IMO

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
AGAIN - Hoyte was GOOD against Colchester, so will keep his place.

This is the guy Arsene Wenger handed a 5-year contract to not that long ago. We haven't seen the best of him yet.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
This would be my formation at the minute. This way El-Abd plays and Bennett and McNulty would make perfect wing backs. And if we need to go more attacking bring Cox into midfield for Navarro.

---------------Kuipers

------Tunicliffe Elphick El-Abd

Bennett ------------------ ---McNulty

--------Croft Navarro Dicker

-------------Murray Forster

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This would be my formation at the minute. This way El-Abd plays and Bennett and McNulty would make perfect wing backs. And if we need to go more attacking bring Cox into midfield for Navarro.

---------------Kuipers

------Tunicliffe Elphick El-Abd

Bennett ------------------ ---McNulty

--------Croft Navarro Dicker

-------------Murray Forster

I actually think that might work but somehow doubt we would take the risk at the moment and especially not for an away game

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
McNulty set for switch From The Argus)
Jimmy McNulty has been earmarked for a new role with Albion, as a left-sided midfielder.

Boss Gus Poyet is considering using the adventurous left-back in a more advanced position as he plots the downfall of his old club Swindon at the County Ground on Saturday.

McNulty made an immediate impact from the left-side of midfield in Albion’s last away game at Exeter.

Brought on for the closing stages, he supplied the cross for Andrew Crofts to head a last-gasp winner.

Poyet said: “We have got an option to play him there. We have been playing a bit differently, unbalanced if you like, to be stronger in central areas, but that would be a very easy option as well.

“Apart from Kevin McLeod, who has not been involved lately, there are not many options on the left.

“He (McNulty) is pushing for a place in the team and I like that, I like those complications.”

McNulty has been restricted to one full appearance in the last nine months after losing a kidney and suffering a persistent ankle injury.

Playing him further forward would allow Poyet to retain Adam El-Abd at left-back, although the Uruguayan has no concerns about McNulty’s defensive capabilities after he replaced the injured El-Abd in the early stages of last Friday’s home defeat by Colchester.

“He defended well, even though we didn’t have much defending to do after the first 15 minutes,” Poyet said.

“I am looking forward to him playing for 90 minutes. That is something we will decide together. It won’t be only my decision, I want the player to feel right as well.

“He has got a very good reputation with the players and the fans. Everybody knows what he can do and you can see after five minutes training with him how comfortable he is on the ball.

“We are convinced he can defend as well. When people talk so much about a full-back going forward you always wonder about the defending but I don't think that is a problem.”

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Going back to El Abd, last time I saw him at centre back, he didn't win many headers, but did however make it very very difficult for the attacker to win and do anything with it.

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
why not put jake wright in the centre with tunny it is preferred position worth a shot

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do people keep on about Jake Wright he is not good enough for Div 1 in any position and should be sent out on loan or sold along with Whing. El Abd is not a good central defender as he is too small to win the headers he is best at full back or just in front of the back four.

3 at the back with Bennet and McNulty as wing backs will not give us enough protection at our worst point the defence, so that is a no go.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Tunnicliffe and Elphick are doing alright. :shrug:

The El-Abd love in is pretty funny, a few months ago everyone hated him and probably will again when he makes another mistake or has a poorer game. He is a decent utility player, he can play all across the back four or in midfield and do an adequate job, but there are better players than him in every position when everybody is fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here