Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jimmy (McNulty) on the Move

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
........tease headline on the Argus web site for tomorrow's publication

presumably refers to a move into left midfield in front of el Abd?

Good idea? I think so :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't give a SHIT so long as McNulty plays. :clap2:

I tell you now, if McNulty starts, we win. If he doesn't we lose. Swindon's right is strong, Amankwaah is Glen Johnson playing in League 1 and McGovern ahead of him has got a brilliant understaning so they'll raid at our left back all match... if that's El-Abd then we ATLEAST need McNulty in front of him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would prefer him at left back and El Abd at right back and then signa left sided midfielder in January but until then I suppose he could do a job better than what we have at the moment at left midfield.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hmm, as good as McNulty is I think there is a difference between attacking from a fullback position and playing left wing. El-Abd has done pretty well in at leftback, but he's not the long term answer for that position, McNulty is, plus if we're sticking with the lop sided midfield it only makes sense to have him getting forward from leftback to give us some balance. I'd rather see McNulty come back in at leftback (when he is definitely 100% - looked like he was last Friday) and El-Abd either replacing Navarro or on the bench.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Has anyone read this in the Argus yet?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmm, as good as McNulty is I think there is a difference between attacking from a fullback position and playing left wing. El-Abd has done pretty well in at leftback, but he's not the long term answer for that position, McNulty is, plus if we're sticking with the lop sided midfield it only makes sense to have him getting forward from leftback to give us some balance. I'd rather see McNulty come back in at leftback (when he is definitely 100% - looked like he was last Friday) and El-Abd either replacing Navarro or on the bench.

I wholly concur with this. Lets keep square pegs in square holes as MUCH as possible - so many problems these last few seasons have stemmed from dicking around playing players out of position. McNulty is a superb leftback, and that is a FAR more important position than the left side of midfield in my opinion.

Oh, and can the Argus kindly f*** off with their tedious, shit-stirring headlines ?
Thank you.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Just what I thought.
Both Hoyte and Whing have been decidedly average so give El-Abd a go at right back with Jim at LB and we have a nicely balanced defense at last?

I'd have Whing at right-back, Tunnicliffe and El-Abd in the centre and McNulty at left-back. I think that gives us balance with two proper full-backs and two decent central defenders.

McNulty has to play at left back in my opinion. He gives us another dimension going forward and is fairly solid defensively. He also pegs back the opposition's right-winger as he makes them defend, something El-Abd doesn't do. I think we need to buy a good left-winger in January then we will have a decent side.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
By the way, where is Whing at the moment? Does big Gus simply not rate him?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Played shite for a while and Hoyte while not being much better has been better and he has a nice link up with Bennett

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agreed with most above, play Jimmy at left back and put El Abd in the centre of defence alongside Tunni.

Also, can Cox start the next game? The lopsided midfield doesn't work for me, purely because Navarro is not good/fit enough to start.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Evidently not, he's on the bench every game.
I think after a couple of shockers Hoyte's form has picked up a bit. He's definitely better than Whing.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Played shite for a while and Hoyte while not being much better has been better and he has a nice link up with Bennett

Fair enough. From what I've seen of Hoyte (the home games in which he's played) he really hasn't impressed me at all. I understand Arsenal have recently given him a new long-term contract so they must see something in him, but to me he looks weak defensively and lacks any real positional sense.

While Whing has not had his greatest season, I think he provides more solid defensive cover than Hoyte.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hoyte had a good game against Colchester, so should keep his place.

Last edited:

El-Abd is too short for the central role (other than covering occasionally) IMHO, better placed at RB

Isn't one of the main requisites for a modern fullback to assist with attacking play? This generally consists of putting in crosses, El-Abd cannot pass or cross a ball to save his life. If he should play anywhere it should be centreback.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Elabd is a centre back, his lack of height isn't obvious as he's still very strong in the air. At left/right back I always feel he gets turned too easily by nippy wingers but his positioning is obviously pretty good seeing as he's been so solid in the last few games at lb.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Isn't one of the main requisites for a modern fullback to assist with attacking play? This generally consists of putting in crosses, El-Abd cannot pass or cross a ball to save his life. If he should play anywhere it should be centreback.

I'm not saying he is the complete RB (and agree about his weaknesses) but maybe he's the best option we've got in that position right now?

He's always covered adequately at CB but whenever he has started in that position the opposition management seem to quickly target his lack of height and set their biggest forwards on him so he is not a long-term centre half.

Jimmy Mac at LB and a new RB (with Hoyte returning to the Arse) is probably what Gus has in mind which possibly leaves El-Abd just as a utility bench-warmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here