Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Jimmy Carr

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anthony Jesilnik?
That's the fella.

I was watching him on Netflix thinking 'this chap and Carr must share the same writer'.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
For everyone mentioning it's an old joke and people have been searching for offence, it appears it's from the new show that was released on Netflix on Christmas Day

As a "best of album" of a "best of tour" that he started about 3 years before COVID stuck. I saw the tour this was taken from and even then he explains that he's doing old material from previous tours that is considered his edgiest material. This particular joke would have originally been in a stage show about 10-15 years ago.

Not exactly breaking news.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
For everyone mentioning it's an old joke and people have been searching for offence, it appears it's from the new show that was released on Netflix on Christmas Day

A new show including some of his old 'worst' jokes entitled 'Jimmy Carr His Dark material' with an 18 certificate where he clearly warns the audience what they are in for at the start and sets out the context of the jokes. Yet someone still watched it, managed to get through lots of toxic jokes (maybe even laughed at a few) until it came to their particular group then they were offended ...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I saw a stand up show with Joan Rivers and the stuff she was saying about the holocaust was just as bad if not worse than anything Jimmy Carr was saying. Maybe she has a get out of jail card because she is Jewish or maybe because she spends as much time sending herself up about her plastic surgery etc. She received a lot of criticism and death threats because of what she said and her reply was that she uses humour to remind people of the holocaust, which is similar to what Mel Brooks said about the Producers and the Nazis. Whether or not comedians cross a line is nothing new and whether or not people dislike what they say will always be open to debate.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A new show including some of his old 'worst' jokes entitled 'Jimmy Carr His Dark material' with an 18 certificate where he clearly warns the audience what they are in for at the start and sets out the context of the jokes. Yet someone still watched it, managed to get through lots of toxic jokes (maybe even laughed at a few) until it came to their particular group then they were offended ...

They are not jokes though are they. That is a completely sick and racist slur. Trying to make light of racist mass murder.

We all say we're for "kick it out" in football, we take the knee (rightly imho to stand against all forms prejudice) and yet here is a self entitled prick, who thinks because his job is comedian that gives him a licence to say something as vile and sick as this. The holocaust was one of the largest stains on humanity, 6 million innoncents murdered, generations killed on the racist whim of a vile dicatator, as were 100,000's of innocent roma gypsies. What part of that do you find funny or open season?

Would it be feasible to suggest an advantage of the deaths in Greenfell tower was a few less people of ethnic origins? Of course it isn't, you'd be rightly arrested.

This is not funny, its not humour, it is debased, its sick and a person who has lost sight of his moral compass, going way beyond any normal boundaries to try and generate some cheap personal attention.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I like to think that Jimmy Carr and his I'll should not be taken at face value. As has been mentioned Jim Davidson stole one of his joke and told it without the 'duality of meaning' that Carr employs.

I don't believe that this joke as told in a hateful manner, nor do I believe that he means what he says about the subject or feels that way about them.

It really is a storm in a tea cup.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I saw a stand up show with Joan Rivers and the stuff she was saying about the holocaust was just as bad if not worse than anything Jimmy Carr was saying. Maybe she has a get out of jail card because she is Jewish or maybe because she spends as much time sending herself up about her plastic surgery etc. She received a lot of criticism and death threats because of what she said and her reply was that she uses humour to remind people of the holocaust, which is similar to what Mel Brooks said about the Producers and the Nazis. Whether or not comedians cross a line is nothing new and whether or not people dislike what they say will always be open to debate.

Jokes about the holocaust is one thing. A joke which seeks to celebrate that thousands of people from one particular ethnic group died in it is completely different, takes it on to a completely different - and in my view unacceptable (vile) - level.

Personally, though, I think the Producers is one of the funniest films ever made. One could say it is in bad taste, which it undoubtedly is, but you could hardly say it is glorifying Nazi Germany or Fascism - quite the opposite. It’s a masterpiece. Blazing Saddles was obviously about racism, arguably in bad taste, but very obviously the sheriff was the hero of the day, outwitting the dumb white townspeople at every turn.

Jimmy Carr is no Mel Brooks, or Joan Rivers, who was hilarious.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
These days a lot of people are almost clamouring to show others on social media that they are offended by x,y or z. They can't wait to display to everyone how not racist they are or how not homophobic, sexist, fattest etc they are. They must live their lives in a constant state of anxiety in case someone labels them a *insert*ist. I find the toxicity of the social media reaction far more troubling than the joke , the way normally fair minded reasonable people are prepared to spew venom and bile and wield a virtual broken bottle and slash the perceived offenders throat! I don't particularly like the term virtue signalling but the online responses appear to me to be largely that, people sit back after posting their offended opinion safe in the knowledge that all their friends and contacts have now been reminded that they are not a racist. They are probably the same people that claim not to be racist because they have a black friend..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
These days a lot of people are almost clamouring to show others on social media that they are offended by x,y or z. They can't wait to display to everyone how not racist they are or how not homophobic, sexist, fattest etc they are. They must live their lives in a constant state of anxiety in case someone labels them a *insert*ist. I find the toxicity of the social media reaction far more troubling than the joke , the way normally fair minded reasonable people are prepared to spew venom and bile and wield a virtual broken bottle and slash the perceived offenders throat! I don't particularly like the term virtue signalling but the online responses appear to me to be largely that, people sit back after posting their offended opinion safe in the knowledge that all their friends and contacts have now been reminded that they are not a racist. They are probably the same people that claim not to be racist because they have a black friend..

I said I thought Jimmy Carr’s joke was vile racist and sick because I thought it was vile racist and sick - nothing more, nothing less. To be honest, I even wondered if it was prosecutable if someone really wanted to.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Jokes about the holocaust is one thing. A joke which seeks to celebrate that thousands of people from one particular ethnic group died in it is completely different....
Could you explain where the line is here? If one joke about the Holocaust is unacceptable then surely ANY joke about the Holocaust is unacceptable.

I genuinely can't see past your paradox.

I like to think that no joke is off limits provided it meets the basic criteria of humour... Almost always for Jimmy Carr it's a juxtaposition of statement one and statement two. There are comedians who are dog whistling to an audience... This is wrong. There are jokes which just don't have any humour (I've seen comedians absolutely die on stage including some big names - Jack Dee being one - when other material of theirs is funny).. this is boring. But there is also crafted humour with an 'edge' - you know it's wrong, but it's still funny. Atmosphere has a lot to do with this and you just will not find the edgy stuff funny if it's told cold... It needs to be part of a full set. That's why 90% of TV comedy just isn't as funny as a comedy gig or a farce play where the whole pacing is carefully built up and there are lots of people around also laughing

That's my view, nothing is really off limits if crafted and delivered well, with the right context. If your view is there is a line, there are limits, please clarify. What's a funny Holocaust joke?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Could you explain where the line is here? If one joke about the Holocaust is unacceptable then surely ANY joke about the Holocaust is unacceptable.

I like to think that no joke is off limits provided it meets the basic criteria of humour... Almost always for Jimmy Carr it's a juxtaposition of statement one and statement two. There are comedians who are dog whistling to an audience... This is wrong. There are jokes which just don't have any humour (I've seen comedians absolute die on stage including some big names - Jack Dee being one).. this is boring. But there is also crafted humour with an 'edge' - you know it's wrong, but it's still funny. Atmosphere has a lot to do with this and you just will not find the edgy stuff funny if it's told cold... It needs to be part of a full set. That's why 90% of TV comedy just isn't as funny as a comedy gig or a farce play where the whole pacing is carefully built up and there are lots of people around also laughing

That's my view, nothing is really off limits if crafted and delivered well, with the right context. If your view is there is a line, there are limits, please clarify. What's a funny Holocaust joke?

My grandfather died at auschwitz

He tripped and fell out of the watchtower .........

Too soon ? ???

*edit* Having considered it, too old :wink:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The last few jokes are a good example of where the line might exist. It can be argued that they are in poor taste, but so what. The Jimmy Carr joke could be argued to be hateful towards a minority group.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I like to think that no joke is off limits provided it meets the basic criteria of humour... Almost always for Jimmy Carr it's a juxtaposition of statement one and statement two. There are comedians who are dog whistling to an audience... This is wrong. There are jokes which just don't have any humour (I've seen comedians absolutely die on stage including some big names - Jack Dee being one - when other material of theirs is funny).. this is boring. But there is also crafted humour with an 'edge' - you know it's wrong, but it's still funny. Atmosphere has a lot to do with this and you just will not find the edgy stuff funny if it's told cold... It needs to be part of a full set. That's why 90% of TV comedy just isn't as funny as a comedy gig or a farce play where the whole pacing is carefully built up and there are lots of people around also laughing

I take your point. To be fair, The Producers isn’t about the Holocaust. It’s about Nazi Germany. I would not be sure that the Holocaust or even the word Jewish is mentioned.

And I think I would probably agree with you that no joke about the Holocaust is likely to be funny. But Carr’s in particular was awful because it was specifically rejoicing in the fact that a certain ethnic group suffered - died!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I take your point. To be fair, The Producers isn’t about the Holocaust. It’s about Nazi Germany. I would not be sure that the Holocaust or even the word Jewish is mentioned.

And I think I would probably agree with you that no joke about the Holocaust is likely to be funny. But Carr’s in particular was awful because it was specifically rejoicing in the fact that a certain ethnic group suffered - died!

I think the problem is understanding your audience and understanding why the 'joke' is being told. I have two kids in their late twenties now, who are the most politically correct people I know, who pick me and my wife up (60s children) on anything we say which is 'iffy', (which I claim is a hangover of our age) and rightly so. It's their world, not ours, and the world will be all the better for it.

The tasteless jokes the four of us tell to each other, I would never repeat outside of the family, because we understand our audience and we are trying to 'outrage' one another.

And that Ski company where we thought it would be a good idea to name our pub quiz team 'The Michael Schumacher ski school' still won't take our bookings. Sometimes we all get close to the line.

I think if you do it for a living it's a whole lot more complicated and it often really isn't about the 'joke' :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here