Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Magilton - could he do a job ?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I do think the side needs some experience in it, however of Oatway, Carpenter, Dodd and Butters, I could see only 2 of them being retained, partly due to the number of youngsters that have deals, an element of economics and that we have to budget for some of the wages of Molango, Jarratt and Kuipers being still paid by us next season.

So which two then ?

I would retain Butters and Carpenter certainly and would like to keep Oatway as well if possible.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We know Oatway will be offered a new deal so I'd keep Carpenter even though he's not been good this season and release Butters and Nicholas. Butters has been great but is very slow now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
So which two then ?

I would retain Butters and Carpenter certainly and would like to keep Oatway as well if possible.

I believe Oatway has been promised a new deal.

I suspect he would like to keep Butters, Oatway and Carpenter. However I guess you have to budget for paying the 3 that are not likely to figure and work round that and I guess they will want to keep some wages back to pay for a couple of new signings.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Sid James said:
Hart, Hammond and Mayo provide no leadership or guidance at all. Plenty of commitment there, but not a lot of nous.

Not leadership but experience. That is what is being discussed. Agree that they are not natural leaders but the have been with the club for a while and have been involved in Promotions and relegation battles so have the experience we need to help the youngsters come through. Personally I would like us to retain Charlie as he is club captiain and does wonders around the team in the way of spirit and Butters as from what I have seen recently has been actively involved in training and his experience is vital in aiding the younger defenders in things you can only learn through experience such as positioning.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
B.M.F said:
Not leadership but experience. That is what is being discussed. Agree that they are not natural leaders but the have been with the club for a while and have been involved in Promotions and relegation battles so have the experience we need to help the youngsters come through. Personally I would like us to retain Charlie as he is club captiain and does wonders around the team in the way of spirit and Butters as from what I have seen recently has been actively involved in training and his experience is vital in aiding the younger defenders in things you can only learn through experience such as positioning.

I thought what was being discussed was Hammond, Hart and Mayo helping the youngsters through and showing them the way and I just don't see it. Sorry.

Agree entirely regarding Butters and Oatway.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I believe Oatway has been promised a new deal.

I suspect he would like to keep Butters, Oatway and Carpenter. However I guess you have to budget for paying the 3 that are not likely to figure and work round that and I guess they will want to keep some wages back to pay for a couple of new signings.

But who would you like to see retained ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
But who would you like to see retained ?

I think Oatway will be retained and Butters should be of the veterans, however a fit Dodd will be an asset. Regarding Carpenter, his form has been poor this season and Fraser and Chamberlain have been given deals, which with Oatway and Hammond here, could spell the end for Chippy.

Last edited:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Sid James said:
I thought what was being discussed was Hammond, Hart and Mayo helping the youngsters through and showing them the way and I just don't see it. Sorry.

Agree entirely regarding Butters and Oatway.

Fair enough as that is your view and you are entitled to it. I thnk you are wrong and that their experience will be invaluable to the club. Saying that I think Kerry will be shown the door but who knows:shrug:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The thing about Carpenter, I am thinking, is it injury related? He started the season well, if I remember rightly and then the injury came, and he broke down at the Palace game and has seem sluggish ever since. Would a rest over the summer, and a good pre seasons training be adequate? I am thinking, that it might and he would be useful in League One, if that was the case...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
BarrelofFun said:
The thing about Carpenter, I am thinking, is it injury related? He started the season well, if I remember rightly and then the injury came, and he broke down at the Palace game and has seem sluggish ever since. Would a rest over the summer, and a good pre seasons training be adequate? I am thinking, that it might and he would be useful in League One, if that was the case...

I suspect with a pre-season behind him he has another year in him, but if you already have Oatway, Hammond, Fraser and Chamberlain and by the looks of it Nicolas could be retained, can you justify Chippy as well?

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
B.M.F said:
Fair enough as that is your view and you are entitled to it. I thnk you are wrong and that their experience will be invaluable to the club. Saying that I think Kerry will be shown the door but who knows:shrug:

Just to clarify, I agree with Hart and Hammond from the playing perspective just not as mentors. Kerry to go I'm afraid.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
I suspect with a pre-season behind him he has another year in him, but if you already have Oatway, Hammond, Fraser and Chamberlain and by the looks of it Nicolas could be retained, can you justify Chippy as well?

Probably not on our budget. In an ideal world we could keep them all and take the work load off both Chippy and Hammond. The future is bright, as far as the our youth teamers coming through, but they all tend to play too much, too early due to necessity.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
BarrelofFun said:

I also think that the injury and being rushed back in may have played it's part.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:

I think that depends on new additions. If you are not bringing in any other new central midfielders then that group lacks something for me, especially when Oatway is not available.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
But you also have Reid who can play in there.

I just wonder if Carpenter is going to be one of the unclucky ones.

This is true. It all comes down to whether you think he is a spent force or not. I think these predictions of his demise are maybe a bit hasty.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Sid James said:
This is true. It all comes down to whether you think he is a spent force or not. I think these predictions of his demise are maybe a bit hasty.

I think it also boils down to economics and the fact that position has some cover in it (even if it is vastly lacking in experience). His questionable form this season may well count against him.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep he was rushed back for action on boxing day when Oatway was carried off.

MM should have taken a gamble (as he has done with our team week in week out) and played someone else there like
Reid or Nicolas until chippy was actually 100% fit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here