Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Looked class when he first came on the scene, just needs a goal to give him confidence again. Set plays tonight were poor.

He would need to kick the ball at the white posts to be able to get a goal and not, as appears to be his want, make dull, safe, backwards or sideways passes.

God help England if players of his ilk are I'm the U21's.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
One corner was decent. Move did not come off. Dunk could have had a hatrick as two crosses, at least one from a corner. So may be more than one was good enough.

I thought they could be a little better, but I don't think they were that bad at all. I'd blame the forwards.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I know that there is doom and gloom at the moment but I'm pretty confident we will sign some players. I would suggest TOKO but I haven't seen him play yet. I'm guessing he is still not match fit.

Oh, i'm confident as well. I'm just thinking in the short term of the type of player that'll fit the mould. We'll have one after the window closes, but not until then I guess.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He is hopeless at the moment, though last night I felt he was better than Saturday He should not be allowed to go near a set-piece ever again.

What I do feel though, is that he is better in a more advanced role than where we are playing hi.m. When he played against Southampton, he was arriving late in the box and scored twice and also scored and looked more of a threat for the England U21s.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
He was awful Saturday.[/

Overall he was poor last season. Passing is erratic and lacks creativity, and any goal scoring threat has seemingly disappeared. The fundamental qualities expected of all high end players, are sadly missing. We may all have to accept, this bright prospect, a Premier League star in the making, is perhaps no longer the prospect we had hoped for. It happens in football. How many 'future England stars' are now plying their trade, and very respectively, in the lower leagues?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Guessing he still wasn't being played in an advanced position last night? What a waste if we are never going to do that.

Ferg

Dec 1, 2012
Bexhill
Totally agree keep him away from our free kicks and corner look at the difference when Kaz started taking them who was awesome tonight compared to the rest.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
He does seem to have gone backwards this season. No urgency in his play and slows things down, reminds me a bit of Gary Dicker. Not helped by having Kemy alongside him though. He really is the poorest player I have seen in a Brighton shirt and that is saying something.

Richard Tilltman Glen Geard........

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
so harsh on a good local young prospect on the radio he certainly sounded better
than Augestien .Yes if Tonko and Stevens were fit he wouldn't be first choice but
without many new arrivals he will be a vital squad member.
If this year we are not challenging for the play offs I hope the young players like JFC
get a lot of time on the pitch it is the only way they are going to improve.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think he got overplayed last season and had a full summer with England, which was sort of unexpected. I amd not his biggest fan but he is young and provided he doesn't get too Billy- bollox he will be ok. Like others have said, I'd prefer to see him playing behind a front two. We just need to get a decently balanced side at the moment and I am not sure what Hyypia is going for at the moment and how long it will take him!

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
so harsh on a good local young prospect on the radio he certainly sounded better
than Augestien .

I must of been listening to a different radio station. As Both JC & Virgs commented on how he looked short of confidence & his distribution poor....

As others have said he was meant to be one of our top prospects but I have not seen any improvement over the last few seasons....

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Could one of our coaching staff take JFC aside after training one day and work on his set plays? Most appear to be aimed at the head of the first defender. I may not know much about football, but I don't think that's what's supposed to happen.

Also, I presume from that slightly frightened expression on his face outside the club shop (sorry, Nike store) that the pic was taken when he had the ball at his feet and all the options for passing square or back had been closed off. He obviously can pass forward, as we saw in the Toulon tournament, but he seems reluctant to do it for us.

He needs a lot more than free kick training. He needs to go out on loan again and come back next season that's if he's not sold ;)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
He's played a lot now and I fail to see any quality dribbling, dead balls, pace, forward passes, shooting, all he does all the time is the simple short ball!

Very much this. I think we all have high hopes for JFC but he constantly delivers a below par performance. Last night he was woeful but so were the majority of them. Chicksen and Agustein were laughable.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
than Augestien .Yes if Tonko and Stevens were fit he wouldn't be first choice but
without many new arrivals he will be a vital squad member.
If this year we are not challenging for the play offs I hope the young players like JFC
get a lot of time on the pitch it is the only way they are going to improve.

Guess what - the Championship will be even harsher on him. He was a good local young prospect, but he's not getting younger and I don't see much evidence that he's getting better.

And the fault is not JFC's but, as has been said elsewhere on this thread, a failure of our coaches. Playing time is important, but if a player is just going out and doing the same things every week with no attempt by the coaching staff to improve him, then what's the point?

Judging a player by radio commentary is all very well but I find the evidence of my own eyes more helpful. As JFC prepared to take a corner in the first half yesterday, I said to the bloke next to me "This is going straight to the first defender." It was obvious - his approach to the ball was all wrong. If I can see that, surely our highly-professional coaches can too? And if they won't help him, perhaps he should ask Kaz for some tips. His corners were top quality after he came on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here