Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jez Bird RIP

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
From the local Lewes rag for anyone who knew him or saw him play

A WELL-known Lewes musician has died.
Jez Bird, 50, passed away on Wednesday (August 27) following a battle against cancer.
He was the former lead singer of the 80s mod band the Lambrettas, and a very popular performer in the town where he had lived since the age of seven.
His family told the Express full details of his funeral service, which is to be organised by Cooper and Son funeral directors, will be announced at a later date

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
f*** me that is TERRIBLE news. I knew him from his time at Rocket records; an extremely good, very underrated songwriter.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
"Page 3, Page 3, get a load of that, page 3 in the factories and the laundramat, page 3 page 3, have you seen todays page 3!"

Famously The Lambrettas had to change the title of the this song from 'Page 3' to 'Another day, another girl', cos The Sun complained.

Fine band from that whole Mod revival era, The Lambrettas.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He was a couple of years above me at Priory School & I saw him play many times down the Alhambra. Then he used to do Sunday nights in the Pelham which were a right laugh.

Bloody hell, that's quite a shock; sad news.

Jan 30, 2008
He was a couple of years above me at Priory School & I saw him play many times down the Alhambra. Then he used to do Sunday nights in the Pelham which were a right laugh.

yes sad news, ah the pelham smudge????

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thought he had died last year but turned out it was a hoax. Sad news as he always put on a great show at the Witch in Lindfield virtually every Xmas Eve.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
RIP Jez

Will be sadly missed around Lewes and Friday nights at the elephant and castle and Sunday nights in the pelham arms were a must when he was playing.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

A year below me at Priory. Cheeky little chap (was then anyway). Always had a soft spot for him.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Then he used to do Sunday nights in the Pelham which were a right laugh.

Not sure if same era, but i used to see him in Pelham or Elephant about..Ooo..18 years ago.. ?! As you say some very good, very pissed up, nights..

Sure we had him out the Abergavenny Arms a few times in late '80's too.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
He was a great songwriter, it's a pity he's most remembered for the cover of Poison Ivy.

Back in the early 80s he was experimenting with drum loops and sampling way before anyone else in the UK. Check out a track called Good Times if you get the chance - it is excellent.

I never got to see him live, it was one of those things I always meant to do.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
FFS .. I was a few years (5) below him at Lewes Priory too. I inherited his Geography text books...

I have always kept a soft spot for the Lambrettas - from my time a teenager in the Lewes Rebel Army in 70/80's. Lewes Priory's finest. In fact they are amongst my top 25 most played songs on my ipod.

Jez - you are a legend and you'll be sorely missed. :bowdown:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I saw him at the Pelham a few times....sadly missed!

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Very sad news, i used to go and see the lambrettas at the Alhambra along with the vandels.
I had some very good nights there. [may he rest in peace]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here