Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesus Lewis

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
In the last lap Glock lost 25 seconds allowing Hamilton past so in Hamiltons case slicks helped him.

I only had the radio to go by as i was in the car at the time!!
But a couple of corners before Hamilton past Glock, Hamilton was 5th, and a back marker went past Hamilton and Vettel, and this is when Vettel went past Hamilton, and I think this back marker was on slicks, which is why he sailed past Hamilton & Vettel to unlap himself.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
But a couple of corners before Hamilton past Glock, Hamilton was 5th, and a back marker went past Hamilton and Vettel, and this is when Vettel went past Hamilton, and I think this back marker was on slicks, which is why he sailed past Hamilton & Vettel to unlap himself.

Didn't say that happened on the radio. Took them a while to realise Hamilton had won!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Yer, but appartently slicks were better weren't they?

Wasn't the driver who unlaped himself which caused Hamilton to lose 5th in the first place on slicks?????

Think you are getting confused, the car that un-lapped himself, by description "un-lapped" means he was over a lap behind, so by this car over taking Hamilton did not make Hamilton lose 5th Place he was still the vast majority of a lap behind Lewis.

It was Vettel that overtook Hamilton that lost him 5th place, all three cars were on on intermediate tyres.
not slicks

Slicks were not better at that time as there was rain and the track was wet, hence why Glock was very slow.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

That's a very fair point, I remember thinking at the time that Kubica was on slicks and that's why he was quicker than Lewis and Vettell! Hmmmm, has Mr Glock said anything?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

It wasn't a couple of corners, it was a couple of laps! It was raining at this time, but not hard. It started raining harder just as they were about to start the final lap, hence Glock not having the grip at the end.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
F1 cars go back to proper slicks next season so that will make damp/wet races much more interesting as the current Grooved tires can handle those conditions abit better.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Let's put it this way .... when it started raining, and everyone was coming in and getting intermediates not slicks, Glock was about 25 sec BEHIND Hamilton, so if his intention was to have Hamilton win, he would have come in as well, and still been 25 secs BEHIND Lewis. Then, even if Vettel passed Lewis he'd have been 5th and was World Champion.

Whereas, the reality is that Glock was way down the field and saw the pportunity to take a risk, in the hope of getting a result. If he'd followed everyone else into the pits he'd have remained down the field, but by staying out, the if the rain had held off for another 60 secs, he would probably have been able to limp around and ang on to 4th!

Conspiracy theories on this one, just don't make any sense. If they did have any validity, then the FIA(T) would have already punished Lewis!

Well done Lewis, that was SUPERB!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Times report today is claiming that it was a deliberate McLaren strategy to get Lewis tom ALLOW Vettel to pass him on the penultimate lap, as they'd calculated that Lewis would catch Glock before the end of the race to claim back 5th spot anyway.

Ummmm.

Bullshit.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Times report today is claiming that it was a deliberate McLaren strategy to get Lewis tom ALLOW Vettel to pass him on the penultimate lap, as they'd calculated that Lewis would catch Glock before the end of the race to claim back 5th spot anyway.

Ummmm.

Bullshit.

lol yeah blatant bullshit, Vettel was always gonna pass Lewis as he'd been the faster man for laps prior to the overtaking so would've gotten him eventually. Plus I seem to remember Ron Dennis in the interview afterwards saying they needed to make a call as to whether they would challenge Vettel or wait to pass Glock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here