Jeff Minton - Midfield Dynamo

Jeff Minton

• A class act

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Best of a bad bunch

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters

Jul 20, 2003
I'll never forget the impact he had on me as a kid, 'attack of the Mutant Camels' was one of my favourite Commodore 64 games.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
never had anybody since that has been an aggresive goalscoring playmaker like jeff was in his albion days.in that final season under nobby he'd scored 9 or 10 goals by xmas but would have never fitted in under micky.

remember seeing him play on sky in 1 of his 1st games for vale only watched it for 15 minutes and he played 2 fantastic balls through the defence for vale to score and he looked class but think that must have been the best 15 mins of his vale career.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I remember a game at the Goldstone against Wrexham, where we whipped them 4-0, and I think it was Jeff Minton who picked the ball up on the half way line, ran the length of the half and chipped the keeper from the edge of the area. Might have been Junior McDougald. Can anybody remember? We then played Cardiff on the Wednesday, which was a crap match that ended 0-0, with Cardiff having only about half a dozen fans, with an enormous Welsh flag - the only atmosphere came when that was booed.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That photo brings back memories. Anyone else in the Albion end when a few Albion peed off at an impending FA Cup exit against Canvey started to dismantle the perimeter wall, concrete block by concrete block and lob them onto the pitch area? Cue some very heavy handed policing in our end with men, women and children getting clubbed like baby seals (bit of an exaggeration that last bit but it seemed like bedlam all around at the final whistle)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A player who thought that he was better than he actually was and deserted us when Nobby took him to Port Vale and paid him the outrageous sum of £2k per week. But then who could blame him it is only when I watch a video of the times at Gillingham that I realise how bad we really were.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
West Hoathly Seagull said:
I remember a game at the Goldstone against Wrexham, where we whipped them 4-0, and I think it was Jeff Minton who picked the ball up on the half way line, ran the length of the half and chipped the keeper from the edge of the area. Might have been Junior McDougald. Can anybody remember? We then played Cardiff on the Wednesday, which was a crap match that ended 0-0, with Cardiff having only about half a dozen fans, with an enormous Welsh flag - the only atmosphere came when that was booed.
i remember both of those games not that there was much to remember bout the cardiff game!.it was 0 0 at half time in the wrexham game and stuart munday came on and set up all 4 goals

Stumpy Tim

The best Jeff played was under Nobby when we had the 3 man midfield of Minton, Arnott & Rod Thomas. However, IMHO Minton was the weakest of those three. Rod was the playmaker & was a genius! Arnott did the hardwork while Minton kept the ball moving. They worked well together.

He was nothing more than a Div 2 player at best though

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Cheeky Monkey said:
That photo brings back memories. Anyone else in the Albion end when a few Albion peed off at an impending FA Cup exit against Canvey started to dismantle the perimeter wall, concrete block by concrete block and lob them onto the pitch area? Cue some very heavy handed policing in our end with men, women and children getting clubbed like baby seals (bit of an exaggeration that last bit but it seemed like bedlam all around at the final whistle)
i seem to remember a few bottles being thrown at us as we made our way through the narrorw exits outside the ground and through the housing estate on to the main road.then there was a long wait as they bused us out to south benflet train station

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Remember glimpsing him as a Spurs sub some time in the Eighties. Never really likely to displace the likes of Hoddle, Waddle, Ardiles, even Hodge, Galvin or Paul Allen.

Frankly, he was always a bit of rough in the diamond. . .

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Best of a bad bunch.

He has not really made any impact since leaving Vale.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A wannabe big time charlie-the only reason he looked half as good as he thought he was was because of the crap in the side around him.

Never thought too much of him personally-his last few seasons show just how good he really was(n't). Hopefully he won't go down in Albion history as a 'great'. He may have had some of the talent he kept telling us he had but he rarely gave anything like 100%.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:

I remember after the game nearly being brained by a flying beer bottle :)

Bit of a "set to" between Brighton and Canvey fans, with a couple of poor policemen in the middle trying to break up the fighting!! Do remember some blokes carrying ripped down wooden fencing, so some poor resident was minus his garden wall that afternoon!

Canvey Island, what a shithole

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here