Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jayson Molumby

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
I hope he gets his chance soon, after seeing a few times last season at the Den, I want to see if he can make the step up.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
In the late drama of that breathless finish, let's not lose sight of the fact that Jayson Molumby made his Premier League debut today (albeit as a 90th + 6th minute substitute). But, he can say he was a part of an historic Albion win at Villa Park.

By my reckoning he becomes the fifth former Albion scholar to play in the Premier League for the club this season (White, Dunk, Connolly, March and Molumby). It really is six, as Robert Sanchez joined the club during what would have been his 1st-year scholar season, but I believe there were issues that meant he wasn't officially registered by the club until he signed a professional contract at the start of the following season.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In the late drama of that breathless finish, let's not lose sight of the fact that Jayson Molumby made his Premier League debut today (albeit as a 90th + 6th minute substitute). But, he can say he was a part of an historic Albion win at Villa Park.

By my reckoning he becomes the fifth former Albion scholar to play in the Premier League for the club this season (White, Dunk, Connolly, March and Molumby). It really is six, as Robert Sanchez joined the club during what would have been his 1st-year scholar season, but I believe there were issues that meant he wasn't officially registered by the club until he signed a professional contract at the start of the following season.

The investment in the academy is really starting to pay dividends and will get better. They have done a remarkable job IMO when you consider how far behind the other teams we were only a few short years ago...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

To put that in to perspective,I think that's more than we had play any league football under Hughton in the 4 1/2 years he was here. Dunk, March, Caskey, Rob Hunt, James Tilley being the only ones?

That's not meant as a dig at Hughton, just thought it was interesting to show just how much the youth academy has came on in quite a short space of time. Very promising signs for the future.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To put that in to perspective,I think that's more than we had play any league football under Hughton in the 4 1/2 years he was here. Dunk, March, Caskey, Rob Hunt, James Tilley being the only ones?

That's not meant as a dig at Hughton, just thought it was interesting to show just how much the youth academy has came on in quite a short space of time. Very promising signs for the future.

Fair comment.

I think it was early days in terms of the academy for Hughton, but there was certainly no guarantee he would have played them.

Potter is very good with the younger players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

Fair comment.

I think it was early days in terms of the academy for Hughton, but there was certainly no guarantee he would have played them.

Potter is very good with the younger players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't think that's a fair comment at all. It's not like Hughton had a whole host of talented young players ready to play in the team who simply didn't. Look at Forster-Caskey, Hunt and Tilley's careers for a justification of why they didn't play more for Hughton. If they'd been better players, they would have. I think the timing of replacing Hughton was crucial, we just started having the youngsters ready to start making an impact in the team and we needed a manager with a track record of blooding the younger players. Does anyone really think that Hughton wouldn't have played Ben White if he were still here this season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, I don't think that's a fair comment at all. It's not like Hughton had a whole host of talented young players ready to play in the team who simply didn't. Look at Forster-Caskey, Hunt and Tilley's careers for a justification of why they didn't play more for Hughton. If they'd been better players, they would have. I think the timing of replacing Hughton was crucial, we just started having the youngsters ready to start making an impact in the team and we needed a manager with a track record of blooding the younger players. Does anyone really think that Hughton wouldn't have played Ben White if he were still here this season?

White would have struggled to get picked ahead of Dunk and Duffy.
He most certainly wouldn't be an obvious replacement for Stephens and Propper.

It could go either way, but I certainly think not playing White is a possibility.

That said I think it would have been impossible for GPott to not play Ben, in much the same way it's impossible for me not to buy a bag of Licorice Alsorts, once I've seen them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Who knows what kind of career they would have had with a different manager.

What I do know is that anywhere Potter is, talents are given a chance and usually turn out really well. Either he is incredibly lucky or he got something to do with it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Who knows what kind of career they would have had with a different manager.

What I do know is that anywhere Potter is, talents are given a chance and usually turn out really well. Either he is incredibly lucky or he got something to do with it.

It cannot be lucky that he develops youngsters and gives them first team appearances whilst being prepared to let experienced players leave knowing he has the talent available when called upon.

I wonder if Molumby & Alzate were sat on the bench feeling disappointed that Lallana came off and was replaced by a centre back and a reshuffle

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It cannot be lucky that he develops youngsters and gives them first team appearances whilst being prepared to let experienced players leave knowing he has the talent available when called upon.

I wonder if Molumby & Alzate were sat on the bench feeling disappointed that Lallana came off and was replaced by a centre back and a reshuffle

Molumby... probably, though I think he ended up quite happy as he got his debut. as for Alzate I have a growing feeling that something is wrong and that he wont play unless desperately needed in chasing a goal. At first I thought it was perhaps just a Potter decision but his absence from the Colombia squad after playing a fair amount in their last games tells me he is struggling with some injury or something.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

I just don’t think you like Potter. For whatever reason you’re always making digs at the guy.

The one thing you can’t deny is that GP has no qualms about throwing young players into the team.

CH had the chance to play White and Connolly and didn’t, and I believe still wouldn’t. It’s not his bag. If Hughton was still here we’d have Dale in CM, Duffy and Dunk part of a back four and maybe even dear old Glenn up front.

[tweet]1330272595300806660[/tweet]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I just don’t think you like Potter. For whatever reason you’re always making digs at the guy.

The one thing you can’t deny is that GP has no qu

CH had the chance to play White and Connolly and didn’t, and I believe still wouldn’t.

I think you're a little biased against Hughton and for Potter. Potter didn't pick White until he'd sent him out on loan for a year, was on of the players of the season and we wanted by other teams. And after he'd signed Webster for £20m. Connolly was on the edges of the squad in Hughton's last season before he got injured

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think you're a little biased against Hughton and for Potter. Potter didn't pick White until he'd sent him out on loan for a year, was on of the players of the season and we wanted by other teams. And after he'd signed Webster for £20m. Connolly was on the edges of the squad in Hughton's last season before he got injured

Firstly, Hughton is a legend. I love the guy.

That said the facts speak for themselves. Once we got to the Premier League we became increasingly defensive and unwilling to take any risks whatsoever.

How many young players broke into the team in the Hughton PL era? And if you say, “well we didn’t have anyone?” We’ll never know will we. There’s a reason why Uncle Tony wanted to change.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Well Connolly was on fire at an early age, Tilley was training with the firsts but didn’t get the nod, Walton.

It’s not always about starting them either, it’s about putting them on the bench to give them the experience of mixing with the first team.

So no, I don’t agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here