Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Jay-Z is the greatest living hip-hop artist"

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Well, Carrots Me Old Mucker.

I Think You'll Find My Little Selection Includes 2 Of Britain's Finest Hip-Hopsters. And Not A Bling Bling Amongst Any Of Them.

And 2 Of America's Best Too. Could Have Had De La Soul Too.

Good point, however I posted that before I saw your mix.

And I would definitely include De La Soul :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure why there's so much of a problem with having a mainstream rapper headlining, all the the rock headliners are mainstream

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Hmm, that sounds good. The "must remember to renew my tax disk before Tuesday" rap. Or that other slice of life classic "tsk, what have I done with my keys?" Nah...I'd rather listen to the genius of James Brown without the boring braggards who can't even sing talking their shitey state-the-bleeding-obvious bollocks over the top of them.

Dunno why I bother biting but I will....

James Brown? Oh that awful grunting man? Always screeching and saying unintelligible things in his music....'take it to the bridge'? What on earth was that man talking about? Why can't he just sing a nice tune with a good melody?

I always wonder why people want to slag off such a brilliant thing as music. There's stuff I don't really care for but I will happily listen to most genres, some of the people here are just missing out really. Not sure why they're so proud of it?

And yes I love Hip Hop. Fantastic music. Plenty of shit out there but then there's plenty of shit in any genre. Say it's not your cup of tea but to imply it takes no talent is just utter bollocks. 'Can't even sing'? What rapper (worth listening to)would get by without having a good voice? And you think rapping is easy??? Idiots. And ofcourse there are no similarities in James Brown's style and a lot of Hip Hop artists are there? Each to their own, although I often wonder how people are unable to catch the infectious nature of a rhythmic voice.

Having said all that, I've never actually really listened to Jay-Z ;) Is he any good?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Goldie Lookin' Chain had the right idea.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The best rapper ever. Thread closed.

zipzaprap.jpg

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Overlord X - 14 Days In May Is A Commentary On The Execution Of An Innocent Man In America And A British Lawyer's Attempts To Free Him. A Brilliant Track. Truly Brilliant.

De La Soul And A Tribe Called Quest Could Never Ever Be Described As Cock-Rock Gangsta.

KRS-1 Is Without Equal In His Attempts To Stop Black On Black Murders And Gangsta Crime.

Eric B And Rakim Were A The Forefront Of Educating Black Youngsters And As For Chuck D...Well, Say What You Like But Their Message Is Strictly Political.

Roots Manuva Is Famous For His Turning Of Banality And Normalness Into An Art Form.

Good calls there, forgot about Overlord X.

I grew up listening to KRS-1 and BDP, plus had a big thing for Kool Moe Dee, Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy and Rakim. Also loved Stetsasonic, Pete Rock and CL Smooth and British rapper MC Mello.

This was an important Hip-Hop record, too...

r3954201194184086cl2.jpg

All of them WAY WAY better than any of the shit that both Jay-Z and Kanye put out these days.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Glasto headliners should be big big names, and Jay Z certainly is that. if I was going (I'm not) I'd be far more inclined to go see him than the f***ing Verve.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Never really been sure why Jay-Z has become such a 'big name'. It's weird. Must just be a clever marketing team. Cos his records are god-awful.

Come on, he's done a lot of forgettable stuff, but Big Pimpin, Dirt Off Your Shoulders, Roc Boys?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hilariously elitist thread over something very very ordinary.

At least nobody’s embarrassed themselves – yet! – by nominating Akon’s ground-breaking duet with Orville The Duck.

Lest we forget…

[yt]H1vaszd6NnA[/yt]

Booyakasha! :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here