Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Jay-Z is the greatest living hip-hop artist"

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
So says Emily Eavis in the Independent today.

No he's not, you dumb arse. He's an overpaid, over-rated, talentless tosser.

That's why people are up in arms about him headlining Glastonbury this year.

Hip-hop my arse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone who has a name written in textspeak is a mong.

FACT.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Emily Eavis is obviously uneducated in the world of hip hop music me thinks!

Jay-Z may be one of the more successful businessmen to come out of the hip-hop scene. But no way the greatest living artist.

How about Nas, Eminem and Dr. Dre?? Dr. Dre may not be the greatest rapper in the world. However he is the greatest living hip hop artist in terms of his production and music.

And when it comes to rapping and lyrics, Eminem is a world beater.

I reckon Emily Eavis is one of these middle-class journo's who grew up with mummy and daddy, and never listened to a rap record in her life until she thought it was "cool"

She seems like the Peaches Geldof of the Journalistic world! :lolol:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
A frankly DISGUSTING statement to make.

They are just trying desperately to keep the talentless buffon from pulling out after all the negative attention he's received after bieng announced as a Glasto headliner.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Emily Eavis is obviously uneducated in the world of hip hop music me thinks!

Jay-Z may be one of the more successful businessmen to come out of the hip-hop scene. But no way the greatest living artist.

How about Nas, Eminem and Dr. Dre?? Dr. Dre may not be the greatest rapper in the world. However he is the greatest living hip hop artist in terms of his production and music.

And when it comes to rapping and lyrics, Eminem is a world beater.

I reckon Emily Eavis is one of these middle-class journo's who grew up with mummy and daddy, and never listened to a rap record in her life until she thought it was "cool"

She seems like the Peaches Geldof of the Journalistic world! :lolol:

She's not a journo, mate. She was writing a comment piece in the paper, defending her choice of music for this year's festival.

But yes, Emily Eavis knows jack shit about hip-hop. She's just desperately trying to get herself out of the hole she dug when her dad let her help modernise Glasto and choose the artists for this year's festival.

"We have a long history of attracting top rap artists, including De La Soul and Cyprus Hill," she says in the piece. Indeed you do, Emily. So why not pick a decent hip-hop artist again, then, instead of Mr Commercialization himself, Jay-Z?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Speaking as someone who a finds Jay-Z a little hit and miss, I think its perfectly reasonable to call him the "greatest living hip-hop artist". I don't think there's anyone else who has had as many great tracks, or even come close to achieving the level of success he has attained. There's plenty of people I like more, but I don't think you can compare Dre (nice beats, shame about the rapping), Eminem (nice rapping, shame about the beats), or Nas (too sporadic).

The only person that can come close at the moment is Kanye, but he's still got a bit of work to put in, despite having been around for a lot longer than most people think.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I don't think you can compare Dre (nice beats, shame about the rapping)

She said Jay-Z is the greatest living hip-hop artist.

I agree that Dre is not the greatest rapper, in fact far from it. But imo he is the greatest hip-hop artist.

He has done a lot more for a hip-hop than Jay-Z has. Jigga overhypes himself and believes his own hype. Dr. Dre has earned the hype.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All hip-hop is shit.

The Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" wasa nice novelty record back in the day, it should have been left there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree, but the world would be an even better place without the blight that is hip-hop.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Best Rapper?

Better Than KRS-1? Better Than Chuck D? Better Than Ol' Dirty Bastard? Better Than Rakim? Better Than The Beastie Boys?

No, No, No, No, No.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
.............personally I struggle to see what the fuss is about. He's not my cup-o-tea but I am interested to see him as I've never seen a big US rapper live. And if you dont like him there is plenty of other stuff to go see.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
For me Rakim is the best rapper there has been in both delivery and content. Just my opinion

For sure, in his day, Rakim was untouchable. You only have to listen to some of the stuff he's had out this year though to drop him down the rankings...

Best Rapper?

Better Than KRS-1? Better Than Chuck D? Better Than Ol' Dirty Bastard? Better Than Rakim? Better Than The Beastie Boys?

No, No, No, No, No.

As much as I love all those guys, Jay-Z has done a lot more...

curly

Jul 5, 2003
gosport
For me Rakim is the best rapper there has been in both delivery and content. Just my opinion

:bowdown: rakim, is regarded as the best hip hip artist by true fans, not that commercial rubbish, followed by wu tang clan, and cypress hill

38 and still love hip hop!!!! (from me early teens)

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Eavis is nothing more than a farmers daughter. She should stick to cleaning out the pig sty and milking cattle than commenting on something she knows nothing about. :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here