Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jay Molumby

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looked like the typical Albion Connolly out there. Had a couple of decent chances. No composure. Didn’t score.

He’s def got ability but not convinced he’s ready for regular senior football yet.

But a Premier League manager and two Internatinal managers do?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Looked like the typical Albion Connolly out there. Had a couple of decent chances. No composure. Didn’t score.

He’s def got ability but not convinced he’s ready for regular senior football yet.

Yeah I have to agree. He's a kid, he is learning, but he isn't near ready to be a regular starter in the Premier League. Should be on the bench, used wisely, or even loaned out for a year, but needs must I suppose. Don't get me wrong, he has the potential, but I think we (and Ireland) are asking a lot of him- he isn't Mason Greenwood.
Re: Ireland, starting he and that Norwich kid up front shows an alarming lack of quality.
Absolutely love his energy.

I really think we should be learning from the White experience with our young players. Unless they are utterly, undeniably outstanding and ready at 19/20/21, a decent loan is likely to be far more productive for both them and us.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One game and people have made their minds up... do **** off :lol:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yeah I have to agree. He's a kid, he is learning, but he isn't near ready to be a regular starter in the Premier League. Should be on the bench, used wisely, or even loaned out for a year, but needs must I suppose. Don't get me wrong, he has the potential, but I think we (and Ireland) are asking a lot of him- he isn't Mason Greenwood.
Re: Ireland, starting he and that Norwich kid up front shows an alarming lack of quality.
Absolutely love his energy.

Yeah I agree on that. Connolly has definitely shown potential in doses but it seems he needs more time to get that top class composure needed to be the striker you rely on for goals. I think playing him wide will be good for his progression at this stage. Give him that role on the wing where he cuts in making him hard to predict for defenders. He could be one of those players who changes games coming off the bench like what March was similar to back in the Championship.

I thought Finland were definitely the better team. Surprised how poor Ireland looked. They're really lacking a top quality player like the days when they had McGrath or Roy Keane. Fingers crossed Molumby could turn into that man?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One game and people have made their minds up... do **** off :lol:

This. Also people are looking at a player we’ve just loaned out, one we’ve just got back from loan and someone with half a season of PL experience gained playing down the middle. It’s not like this represents Brighton’s chances in any way at all.

If Maupay, Lamptey and Dunk were Irish I’d be a bit more worried if they’d served that up. But I reckon those three changes alone would have won Ireland that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
But a Premier League manager and two Internatinal managers do?

I’d certainly argue that Connolly wasn’t regular last season (11 starts) and it remains to be seen if he will be next season. Are you actually claiming that the last Ireland manager had Connolly as a regular?

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I’d certainly argue that Connolly wasn’t regular last season and it remains to be seen if he will be next season. Are you actually claiming that the last Ireland manager had Connolly as a regular?

If Connolly wasn’t regular last season, maybe they should pay more attention to his diet.

I know my digestive system and its performance can have a big effect on how I get through the day. (Although I am lucky enough to be able to say I have never had any particular problems in that area).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Molumby looked decent , not showing as a flair player but does the simple things very well and consistently . Bit worried about Connolly for next season if we start to rely on him too much . With respect the Irish don’t have a wealth of talented options up front so shouldn’t really compare their strikers to a team like Spain or Italy etc

He is quite quick and gets into good positions but lacks composure. Ideally would like to give him another season with someone like Watford or Norwich but that’s not going to happen . He proved he can do it , as he did against spurs but as much as I would like to hope so , he is not going to score 10-15 goals next season unless he calms down in front of goal .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Each time Connolly gets in a good position, it seems he loses all composure. He had a decent chance v Bulgaria - failed to work the keeper. Decent chance v Finland - failed to work the keeper. Then muffed a cross that was dropping right onto his toe.

He's obviously a work in progress, but he's going to have to start getting more dangerous in the box. Maybe its a confidence thing and he just needs one or two of these to find the target. But at the moment, we definitely need an upgrade on him as a regular starter up front. He's clearly not going to cut it as a regular starter this season.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There's a lot more pressure playing for his country and, let's be honest, Connolly hasn't the same quality of support as he gets with Albion.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There's a lot more pressure playing for his country and, let's be honest, Connolly hasn't the same quality of support as he gets with Albion.

You think there is more pressure in what is basically a friendly against Finland than, say, a relegation six-pointer, Palace game, or the last few minutes away at a top 6 team?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

In fairness though, he's up against FAR better defenders in the PL than he is against the likes of Bulgaria and Finland. He's not made much impact this International week, and it sure ain't getting any easier from Saturday.

(sorry, Monday)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Connolly will play a lot and continue to improve.

Got a similar record to Greenwood, Abraham etc had in their first 25 or so league appearances. Even Rashford, after his first crazy special spring, had a 20 game streak or so when he didnt score.

Yes a striker will most likely be signed, but no he wont be sent to Watford while Brighton sign three "10-15 goals a season" like Pukki (how many did he score post December), Bournemouth striker of choice and Gary Doherty. You'll see a lot of Connolly so get a diaper and enjoy the ride.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Be surprised if Molumby is loaned out again after another good showing for the Irish team yesterday . Think he will be promoted to first team squad . Just my opinion .

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not seen any stats whatsoever but I wouldn't mind betting Molumby ran more miles than anyone else, bloody hell has he got a engine , let's be honest here the Irish look the weakest I've seen for years all over the park which is strange when you consider the solid names in the team from the premier league.

No way should we have let Molumby go out on loan this season , Bielsa met him in the car park once and turned him into a top player , so we keep him here , he reminds me a little of Declan Rice how he gets about the pitch and absolutely loves a tackle .

I reckon he will become a crowd favourite when crowds can once again gather at The Amex .

Another plus for the Academy more millions saved on transfers .

Connolly will be fine he has the tools to do the job but playing him out wide like that all the time is a waste of time , Potter will play him to his strengths and his goal return this season will reflect his growing maturity and understanding of the game hopefully.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Molumby played well last night - Connolly was his usual up and down. The ineptitude of the Irish performance didn't help either of them. As I said after the Bulgaria game - Kenny looks out of his depth. He will be given some time but the whole thing has a similar feel to the debacle of giving Steve Staunton the managers job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here