Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Japan pre season

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
Think we may not be seeing Solly in the stripes of BHA this season. Out till October and then would have to really fight for a place in any match day squad and seeing the youngsters coming through I don't think a loan out for the rest of season to a championship side is the worst outcome for him. Shame as on his day he's a great player.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Sean Dyche you mean. We never beat his anti-football sides. From memory, is it just the 1 win against Burnely at the start of a season couple of years ago...?
I thought we'd beaten them a couple of times but I'm not much of a one for stats tbh so maybe...

But yes, that was my point. I think Everton will be a good test as we usually don't do well against anti-football sides. I'd like to see if that changes.

(I mean Everton as the fixture is coming up. I don't really get the "Sean Dyche you mean" bit, they're the same thing aren't they? Am I missing something?)

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Hard not to be impressed but if I could have one wish in terms of new recruits it would be a pacey central defender. I do think we are going to be asking a lot of Dunk this season, again.
If i were Dunk sitting watching that, my take on it might well be "looks like the new gaffer is going to play with 2 central defenders and with that first half performance by JPVH and Baleba i might have a fight on my hands to be an automatic starter"
There is a slight issue for anybody that has not gone to Japan in as much as those that have are constantly in the eye of the manager and consequently uppermost in his thinking.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I mean Everton as the fixture is coming up. I don't really get the "Sean Dyche you mean" bit, they're the same thing aren't they? Am I missing something?)

We beat them (comfortably) when Lampard was in charge in the 22/23 season. In the return game with Dyche in charge they thrashed us.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
So...I've not waded through all of 40 pages of comments here, but did Kashima actually put out their first team here? Or where they largely rested due to this being bang in the middle of their regular season?

Seems like some very important context before we get too carried away with trashing them.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
So...I've not waded through all of 40 pages of comments here, but did Kashima actually put out their first team here? Or where they largely rested due to this being bang in the middle of their regular season?

Seems like some very important context before we get too carried away with trashing them.
Commentator said it was their first choice XI.

Midget

Amexgemeinschaftsstadionhallebierschluckerinchen
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
We beat them (comfortably) when Lampard was in charge in the 22/23 season. In the return game with Dyche in charge they thrashed us.

Yes. I think the Everton game on 17 August, when they will be playing under Sean Dyche, will be a good test for us.

(Sorry, it must be me but I don't get what people are saying! We're playing 24/25 Everton, under Dyche, in a few weeks. I think that will be a good test of a new manager and a new style. People seem to be coming back on it just to say we play sh*t against Dyche Everton. We do, that's why I think it will be a good test. What am I missing here?! Not trying to be arsey, I genuinely don't understand what point people are making!)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Watching the highlights on youtube looked like we were playing Palace

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yes. I think the Everton game on 17 August, when they will be playing under Sean Dyche, will be a good test for us.

(Sorry, it must be me but I don't get what people are saying! We're playing 24/25 Everton, under Dyche, in a few weeks. I think that will be a good test of a new manager and a new style. People seem to be coming back on it just to say we play sh*t against Dyche Everton. We do, that's why I think it will be a good test. What am I missing here?! Not trying to be arsey, I genuinely don't understand what point people are making!)
I don't think anyone is having a go but it is quite simple.
We play shit against Dyche teams.
We play shit against anti- football teams.
Yes, it will be a good test. Nobody is doubting that.
End of conversation...🙂

The Perth Seagull

Apr 29, 2019
1-0 Minteh

1-0.gif

2-0 Sarmiento

2-0.gif

3-0 Ayari

3-0.gif

4-0 Cozier-Duberry

4-0.gif

5-0 Cozier-Duberry

5-0.gif
Goalie looks about 4ft!

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
How much coverage nationally is this tour getting in Japan?
Is it for example, hitting headlines on the news, or hidden away on page 8 of the sports pages?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Looked lively, aggressive, confident and quick. A very good work-out.

Too early to be absolutely sure but I'd say the current crop of players are better than those we saw at the Hailsham Town pre-season game in 1996-ish ... no offence intended to Stafford Browne and his mates.
July 23rd 1998 - 26 years and one day ago!

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
How much coverage nationally is this tour getting in Japan?
Is it for example, hitting headlines on the news, or hidden away on page 8 of the sports pages?
I took a look at the NHK sports pages, and from my nonexistent Japanese it would appear that they are more concerned with:

• the progress of the Japanese football teams at the Olympics
  • general football at the Olympics
  • general stuff at the Olympics
  • various happenings in rugger
  • seismic events in the world of Sumo
  • rounders Baseball news
  • people sitting around presumably discussing something to do with sport
So not much, really.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I had the joy of tiling a windowless bathroom, with no internet signal. So watched the match after dinner on Japanese Amazon Prime. Lovely, especially Barco.
And to the tune of the Jackson 5 hit:
A C D, It's easy as
1 2 3, as simple as
do re mi, A C D, 1 2 3
That's how easy goals can be!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here