Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

January city breaks?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can anyone recommend any nice European [or maybe even within the UK] weekend breaks for me and the missus in January?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We shall be going to INVERNESS again for a few days in January, which clearly counts as abroad. It's a great place, loads of cool pubs with live music, historical sites/castles, great countryside, but obviously bloody freezing that time of year. You just have to drink your way through it. Hoping to get a day's skiing at Aviemore, and going to Inverness v Rangers.

You can go from Gatwick with flybe.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Barcelona....& you can catch a game as well. Loads to do, great food, great shops, great sights, quality.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Barcelona....& you can catch a game as well. Loads to do, great food, great shops, great sights, quality.

What he said.

Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Las Ramblas, Barri Gotic and of course Camp Nou....what more could you want?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have been to Barcelona LOADS so not too sure! Will bare in mind, is anywhere on the Eurostar network any good? Brussels etc?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really price, just I fly nearly once a month including a couple of long hauls so fancy a change!

Lille looks quite nice too?

I would NOT recommend Sofia. Just been for the weekend and, nice enough place as it is, we got ripped off left, right and CENTRE.

Edit: Me and the missus are looking at a weekend in Helsinki next month. Decent flights with Easyjet, accomodation not the cheapest but good quality and apprently it's just a really nice place.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would NOT recommend Sofia. Just been for the weekend and, nice enough place as it is, we got ripped off left, right and CENTRE.

So no one pulled, then?

Edit: And of course not, rightly so...

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
budapest: it's a less busy, prettier and more interesting version of prague. with a fantastic WW2 museum

I was about to recommend Budapest, too.

It'll be cold in January, but the bonus is you get huge outdoor ice-skating rinks and you can also swim in the hot spas, which is really great when its freezing outside (apart from the getting in and out bit!).

My favourite city by far.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Just got back from Krakow, which was lovely.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
roma. naples, florence. all nice places for weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here