Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

January Blues - Oslo vs Stockholm

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Looking at a few nights away in January.
Looking at Oslo or Stockholm as can go to either for same price.
I like it COLD when it is supposed to be COLD.
Advice please. Cheers x

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have been to both and would choose Stockholm over Oslo.

Both good in their own way but Stockholm has more to do. We went in the summer and were lucky enough to have 83 degrees in Oslo.

Good luck in January though it get damn cold up there.

Oh and take out another mortgage for your food and drink :)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Would agree with Rambo (and trying to be impartial even though wife Swedish!).

Stockholm more compact, more to do undercover and generally a more interesting city for me.

Also, whilst pound not fairing so well against Swedish Krona at present, still a good deal cheaper than Norway, and possible to get drunk/eat without needing to take out mortgage.

I think if you want Norway and the winter feel, you would probably be better off somewhere like Bergen than Oslo.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
sod them both and come to Trondheim. Its lovely here, snow and everything already :D

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's quite easy to get from one to the other. If you're doing six days I'd do two in Stockholm, out to Oslo to look at the forests and jump in the rivers, then back to Stockholm. As ace as Stockholm is, lots of other places in Svenska worth checking as well. Norrkoping, Malmo and Gothernburg are all amazing.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Went to the Vasa Museum in Stockholm last year. Brilliant

Great shout. Fantastic museum. Never seen the Mary Rose so can't compare but everyone says the Vasa is far, far better.

Went to Stockholm a few winters ago and had great fun. My wife isn't a snow lover but really enjoyed the blizzard
we walked through in the city.
Also went up through the islands on an ice breaker.

Went to both Oslo and Stockholm this summer.
Enjoyed both but think Stockholm has the edge as an all round enjoyable city.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Stockholm, one of The best cities I have been to, in a great country. I lovyed the people and felt so comfortable there. My only regret is that I have never been in the summer. It gets cold, but not as cold as it used to get years ago.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
okay, but we dont have residual snow, we have about 6 inches of the sodding stuff everywhere!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
An Albion fan in Trondheim!!!

out here seeing the wifes family atm. Sussex born and bred, although we are moving out here next year :D

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Been 2 all 3 Scandinavian countries, but i can honestly say Finland is the best of the bunch, Lakeland in particular.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Is it easy to get employment there as a non-Norwegian?

dunno, helps to speak the language though, i have a job interview friday for when we move out here so i'll let you know :)

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I've been to Oslo in December - loved it. Bitterly cold though! The type of cold where you really can't spend too long outside.

Some great Christmas markets at that time of year.

I've been to Norway a couple of times and haven't found it nearly as frightenly expensive as I'd heard it to be. If you're sensible its fine - more expensive than here, but not that bad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here