Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jan Paul van Hecke - contracted to June 2027

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He's kicked on sensationally in the last 12-18 months, it's been glorious to see. He was legitimately behind Colwill when we had him, and it doesn't feel like that long ago that JPvH's name on the team sheet would make me feel a bit nervy. Now it's more like "we'll be alright, Van Hecke's playing" whoever our opponent is.
Never gonna write Dunky off, but on current trajectories, I doubt it will be to long until JPVH is considered the best centre half at the club by the majority of fans

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Do you remember when he first started playing for the first team? The away game at Newcastle springs to mind, got a lot of stick on here for that performance. Yet even in that game you could see his potential. I think he is our most under-rated player. He really has been outstanding for us over the last year or so.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
He was described as a novice and bound to cost us points when he emerged last season.

Now he's almost a full international and we are pondering which of the mega clubs will take him off our hands in the next window.

Funny old game, football.
He's the perfect example of how being patient with a young player and accepting that they may make mistakes, pays off over time. When you think that we have players like Hinshelwood (19), Buonanotte (19), Ferguson (19), Baleba (20), Barco (20), that are already at a a fantastic level. I have no doubt that they're all on the same trajectory as Van Hecke. We really do have some seriously good young talent at the club.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's kicked on sensationally in the last 12-18 months, it's been glorious to see. He was legitimately behind Colwill when we had him, and it doesn't feel like that long ago that JPvH's name on the team sheet would make me feel a bit nervy. Now it's more like "we'll be alright, Van Hecke's playing" whoever our opponent is.
I remember a game a few seasons back, maybe 18 months, against Newcastle where the opposition were marking Dunk when we were trying to play out from the back in order to force possession & passing onto Van Hecke because he looked pretty nervous & unsure what to do with the ball. They were happy for him to have the ball as they assumed a mistake or misplaced pass would come. But he’s now one of the most confident & comfortable players on the pitch. Such improvement so quickly.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Do you remember when he first started playing for the first team? The away game at Newcastle springs to mind, got a lot of stick on here for that performance. Yet even in that game you could see his potential. I think he is our most under-rated player. He really has been outstanding for us over the last year or so.
I remember more the 1-1 against CIty a couple of weeks later - where we still needed either a point or to not get heavily beaten to assure Europa League instead of Conference - and he kept Haaland fairly quiet all game.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This. JPVH's performances are eclipsing Dunk's on a regular basis nowadays. Would it be harsh to suggest that we've now moved on a bit from Dunk in the same way that we moved on from Duffy? Feels like it
not for me , have seen this campaign starting a little bit but for me this is just lazy.

Dunk still one of the first names on team sheet and is crucial this season. No worries there at all

Of course due to this mumering campaign people are on him for everythign.

Dunky is fine

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He was described as a novice and bound to cost us points when he emerged last season.

Now he's almost a full international and we are pondering which of the mega clubs will take him off our hands in the next window.

Funny old game, football.
The 180° by fans from after the 22/23 season Newcastle game to after the next game (Southampton) - and then more following the one after that (Manchester City) - was genuinely hilarious!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
not for me , have seen this campaign starting a little bit but for me this is just lazy.

Dunk still one of the first names on team sheet and is crucial this season. No worries there at all

Of course due to this mumering campaign people are on him for everythign.

Dunky is fine
This.we have a great CB pairing, no need to think about whether one is better than the other

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
He bullied him and didn’t let Haalands physicality dominate ..totally agree with you
That was his coming of age game. He’d gone from a couple of shaky performances to marking the world best striker out of a game. He took so much from that performance and has got better and better from there.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Screenshot_20240902-150417~2.png

Elite.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Would it be harsh to suggest that we've now moved on a bit from Dunk in the same way that we moved on from Duffy? Starting to feel like it
Lewis Dunk played 90 minutes two days ago. Don't know if its "harsh" or not but it appears to be wrong.

If we've "moved on a bit from Dunk" it suggests we have at least two central defenders that are better than him and I don't see that. None of Webster or Igor are likely to displace Dunk and there's no 20-year-old superkiddo challenging for it either.

Next summer could be a "defense makeover". Van Hecke will leave, he looks a Manchester City (if they still exist by then) player to me. Igor should also be out by then. Veltman going back home to Ajax. Dunk and Webster will be around and a real grown footballer along some Swedish or Danish 20-year-old kid will be brought in as the new defenders - and Dunk will remain safely in the starting eleven.

Lets revisit the subject in 2026.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The 180° by fans from after the 22/23 season Newcastle game to after the next game (Southampton) - and then more following the one after that (Manchester City) - was genuinely hilarious!
Yep. For some either our players are not fit to wear the shirt, or are obviously off to pursue the irresistible lure of Big Club Money during the next window.

Jun 21, 2011
This. JPVH's performances are eclipsing Dunk's on a regular basis nowadays. Would it be harsh to suggest that we've now moved on a bit from Dunk in the same way that we moved on from Duffy? Starting to feel like it
I was thinking we should be looking for a long term Dunk replacement this summer so we can put him on the pathway but I still think Dunk will be great for us this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here