Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Smith

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
You've pretty much given why I don't think he could play for a top League One side with the term "when he played for us". Because it wasn't very often was it? We were one of the best three sides in League One last season, yet apart from a three game run at the start of the season, he couldn't get in (injury accepted for the second half of the campaign). Even when LuaLua did his leg and we needed a creative replacement, he still couldn't get in. Even in the FA Cup in which we played weakened teams, the likes of Gary Hart and Cristian Baz were starting ahead of him

If he was good enough for a top League One side, then he would have shown it regularly for us. I'd love to be proven wrong and maybe was a bit harsh saying bottom of League One, but I couldn't see him being a regular starter in a side that has aspirations of being anywhere above mid table in that division

He must be terrible in training as when he did play he looked the part to me. He's not a winger so would never be a replacement for Lua Lua. He was a great attacking central midfielder, ran well with the ball and could pick a pass - the same style (obviously not same quality) as Iniesta for Barcelona.

I'm just surprised so many people have disregarded him as not good enough, when everytime he played - he did look good enough. Just can't see he's been given a fair crack of the whip - but Gus will know more than me so trust him completely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not suprised that we are releasing him more suprised that Gus even gave him the chance again this season. I would think that he should contact the likes of Gillingham or even Barnet and Dag & Redbridge as that is his level. As everybody said he looked good against Burgess Hill perhaps NF will look at him for Dover. Perhaps now people will see this in the right perspective he has a little skill but is very weak.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I read in the argus that jamie smith is expected to leave in January and I can't help but think we've lost a player with massive potential from what I've seen of him he was very good and at burgess hill he was good I think a chance to prove himself should be taken in the next few months because he can't doing a worse job than the current midfield

A friend of yours Jack?

Unfortunately, it's the way of things as we move on up. Players who once upon a time would have been key parts of teh squad, and show ability that we would have once lapped up, are now surplus. When we bring in players of the calibre of Vicente, a slow-burning young talent who may come good in a year or two, like Smith, is just not going to be getting much of a look-in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Out of contract in January I believe

If we have serious aspirations to be challenging for the Premier League, then Jamie Smith is plainly not going to be good enough. Keeping players on for sentimental value held us back in the past so it's refreshing to see Gus clearing out the dead wood no matter how harsh it may be or whether he had a good spell for a couple of games last season

Could easily do a job towards the bottom of League One/League Two and that is where you'd expect him to end up

Yet Orient didn't take him and Slade does have an eye for a player (Bennett and Crofts anyone?)

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I like him - think he's a decent player BUT we have to move on. It's not like when Dick Knight was in charge as I don't think there's very much sentimentality with Bloom and Poyet. Although this sounds like a criticism it is really a good thing just to judge players on their ability and Gus sees what they can do every day.
Same as Tunnicliffe who Slade "bought for the future" - whilst I thought he was OK obviously the powers that be didn't. As Gus said in the Argus today about Darren Carter "I like him but there's 150 players I like" and if Vicente is the standard we're aiming for I guess Smith is going to struggle

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Never quite happened for him but wasn't he unlucky not to be substituted off on a couple of occasions following sending offs?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Jamie Smith is going to be a great player. Will be GUTTED when he goes. Really intelligent player, fantastic reader of the game. I hope he gets himself fixed up soon. Could be a decent championship player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here