Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Smith signs for another year

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Ah the grammar police, conveniently ignoring that many words change their meaning over time. Anyway what i dislike is the superior attitude of grammar pedants on a football message board. If you want to converse in a rigid language suffocated by rules then learn french. Leave the rest of us to our beautiful poetic ever changing English.

Great. But this isn't a word changing its meaning, it's people who don't understand the grammar of their own language. Of isn't an auxiliary verb, and isn't about to become one.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I understood what Luke17 was saying, isn't that sufficient?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It does make sense. It's common to substitute of in place of have. i do it myself sometimes. Of course if you want to make a petty point scoring jibe, then pull him up on it by all means. If you want to be constructive you could at least tell him where he's going wrong

You mean I could teach him something that 10+ years of schooling have failed to do? Do I get well paid for this?

Oh, of course, it is just a football message board so it doesn't matter. Silly me.

Anyway, on to the "your" and "you're" ignoramuses. . .

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
You mean I could teach him something that 10+ years of schooling have failed to do? Do I get well paid for this?

Oh, of course, it is just a football message board so it doesn't matter. Silly me.

Anyway, on to the "your" and "you're" ignoramuses. . .

Jesus. I like correct grammar as much as the next man but, talk about an overreaction!

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I'm going to stand up for Juan Albion here. I'm a pedant when it comes to the English language as well. Join us if you don't want our wonderful language to morph into some sort of chav txt spk. LOL. Innit.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Great. But this isn't a word changing its meaning, it's people who don't understand the grammar of their own language. Of isn't an auxiliary verb, and isn't about to become one.

Surely you've heard of the verb to 'of'

I of
You of
He/she ofs
They of
We of

Whats wrong with that?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm going to stand up for Juan Albion here. I'm a pedant when it comes to the English language as well. Join us if you don't want our wonderful language to morph into some sort of chav txt spk. LOL. Innit.

I agree. The use of 'of' in place of 'have' and saying things like "your a really good mate," or "I have found you're pencil," really pisses me off.

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

:clap: wot e sed.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Anyway, good luck to Jamie Smith. :thumbsup:

nasjaq

Jul 16, 2010
Long time listener, first time caller. I can't believe this is the issue that's prompted me to post.

What our friend mistakenly believes to be the common use of 'of', is actually the contracted form of 'have', 've'.

As in, 'I would've'. Sounds a bit like 'I would of' when you speak, but clearly when you write it down it's different. He needs to learn this, and should be humiliated until he does.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Long time listener, first time caller. I can't believe this is the issue that's prompted me to post.

What our friend mistakenly believes to be the common use of 'of', is actually the contracted form of 'have', 've'.

As in, 'I would've'. Sounds a bit like 'I would of' when you speak, but clearly when you write it down it's different. He needs to learn this, and should be humiliated until he does.

Oi, shut it, newb. If there's any grammar policing to be done, I'm sure I can handle it by myself.

:guitar:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Quality first post.
Stay on this topic in future and you are bound to attract plenty of responses.
Good luck

not sure I should of said that. It might not've been appreciated

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here