Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Carragher to start for England...... in MIDFIELD?

Uncle Buck said:
This is England we are talking about, so go away, you have made it clear you have no time for England.

Bollocks I have - when? Making things up again Bucky!

Uncle Buck said:
I do not think Carragher is the answer there, but like Mayo at the Albion he started out as a midfielder.

Ah yes, there's always an excuse for your double standards against McGhee. Did Ingimarrson start out life as a midfielder when Coppell played him there then?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Bollocks I have - when? Making things up again Bucky!

Ah yes, there's always an excuse for your double standards against McGhee. Did Ingimarrson start out life as a midfielder when Coppell played him there then?

Steve what are you trying to prove?

This stinks of petty points scoring.

A thread about football, not much bitching on it and then you came along and start making it personal.

Any reason? It just seems that once again you are going to ruin a thread.

Well done.

Uncle Buck said:
Steve what are you trying to prove?

This stinks of petty points scoring.

A thread about football, not much bitching on it and then you came along and start making it personal.

Any reason? It just seems that once again you are going to ruin a thread.

Well done.
Oh come on - please tell me you are not offended. I wasn't the first person to divert in this thread to McGhee, was I? But, look, I apologise if you think I was being bitchy as I don't want our little banter to run into bad feeling. I do respect your strong opinions even though I disagree with a few of them :) :drink:

There is a genuine point to be made here though, isn't there, leaving aside our disagreements? That McGhee has been crucified for something that every manager does, even managers you like such as Sven?

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Oh come on - please tell me you are not offended. I wasn't the first person to divert in this thread to McGhee, was I? But, look, I apologise if you think I was being bitchy as I don't want our little banter to run into bad feeling. I do respect your strong opinions even though I disagree with a few of them :) :drink:

There is a genuine point to be made here though, isn't there, leaving aside our disagreements? That McGhee has been crucified for something that every manager does, even managers you like such as Sven?

Bloody hell LI, thats a bit reasonable for you. I'm actually liking it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

I did feel you were aiming at me as you were naming me.

Still I guess what Sven has done is played players in positions that they have played in for the club before. Carragher has played in midfield and Gerrard has played quite far forward at Liverpool. McGhee does at times play people in positions completely alien to them, such as Reid at left back. The other difference is you are talking about highly talented players being asked to do something a tad different not journeymen players.

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
MM also played Virgo up front, and he was our best striker that season. OGH was reasonable at right back, and Mayo started off life in midfield before converting to centre back and left back, with varying degrees of success depending on the size of his arse.

It can be done, some work and some don't

Uncle Buck said:
I did feel you were aiming at me as you were naming me.

Still I guess what Sven has done is played players in positions that they have played in for the club before. Carragher has played in midfield and Gerrard has played quite far forward at Liverpool. McGhee does at times play people in positions completely alien to them, such as Reid at left back. The other difference is you are talking about highly talented players being asked to do something a tad different not journeymen players.

I would say the actual real difference reflects poorly on Sven and well on McGhee - that Sven has a host of alternatives to pick from and McGhee has a bare-bones squad that he cannot get, for whatever reason, the financial backing to enlarge.

Hence the fundamental unfairness of flaying McGhee for his hand being forced with square pegs in round holes.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
I would say the actual real difference reflects poorly on Sven and well on McGhee - that Sven has a host of alternatives to pick from and McGhee has a bare-bones squad that he cannot get, for whatever reason, the financial backing to enlarge.

Hence the fundamental unfairness of flaying McGhee for his hand being forced with square pegs in round holes.

Do not really agree with you there. What Sven is guilty of is shoe horning his star players in and to an extent that criticism might be true of including Carragher.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Just had to go through a whole season of this, cant this just be about England!?

Look at your second post in this thread! :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here