[Technology] *** James Webb Space Telescope ***

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
All going well so far - Next is unfolding the large mirror

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“All four science instruments on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope have achieved "perfect alignment" in advance of the telescope's official debut this summer, project officials said in a news teleconference on Monday (May 9).”

NASA have released a comparison image of stars in another galaxy. You can get a real idea of the upgrade from retired Spitzer space telescope.

700177f42692cd95cb0f836b6ba05146.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The Danny Webb telescope, however, spent a couple of months going round in circles without finding its target and has since been transferred from small country space agency to small country space agency.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
First full colour science grade image to be unveiled tonight at 9pm.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Of what...

... Uranus?

Let’s get to the bottom of this:

“What will the first Webb images show?

Yesterday NASA confirmed these five objects will feature in Webb’s first images:

Carina Nebula: one of the largest and brightest nebulae in the sky, located approximately 7,600 light-years away in the southern constellation Carina.

WASP-96b (spectrum): a giant planet outside our solar system, composed mainly of gas. The planet, located nearly 1,150 light-years from Earth, orbits its star every 3.4 days. It has about half the mass of Jupiter, and its discovery was announced in 2014.

Southern Ring Nebula: The Southern Ring planetary nebula – an expanding cloud of gas surrounding a dying star - is 2,000 light-years away from Earth.

Stephan’s Quintet: About 290 million light-years away, Stephan’s Quintet is a group of galaxies located in the constellation Pegasus.

SMACS 0723: an extremely distant and intrinsically faint cluster of ancient galaxies imaged using gravitational lensing.”

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Further images being unveiled today. This from the BBC:

'Nasa is holding a webcast on Tuesday to showcase further imagery from the new telescope. There are many places where you can view this presentation, including on the European Space Agency's web TV channel. Programming starts at 14:45 BST, 15:45 CEST; 09:45 EDT. Other viewing possibilities include the Canadian Space Agency's YouTube channel; and on Nasa Live. BBC Two television will air a special programme on Webb - Super Telescope: Mission to the Edge of the Universe - on Thursday at 20:00 BST.'

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is the game changer for me:

WASP-96b (spectrum): a giant planet outside our solar system, composed mainly of gas. The planet, located nearly 1,150 light-years from Earth, orbits its star every 3.4 days. It has about half the mass of Jupiter, and its discovery was announced in 2014.

The spectrometer could be able to decipher the atmosphere of this planet. If successful, we could identify other planets with an atmospheric composition that would suggest life.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
View attachment 149598

“This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground”

4.6Bn LY away.

Just astounding.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/...livers-deepest-infrared-image-of-universe-yet

Is it just me that thinks that the processing of this image had gone beyond what’s needed and dived into Walt Disney world. I’m sorry (and I know nothing) but I just don’t believe the “twinkle twinkle little star” thingy in the middle. Either the camera’s got some grease on it or someone’s got carried away with photoshop.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Age of the universe is pretty much established as approximately 13.8 billion years old. James Webb telescope is reported as being able to see 13 billion years into the past. Wonder what James Webb 2.0 would see if it could see, say, 14 or 15 billion years into the past? Ulloa penalty maybe?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Is it just me that thinks that the processing of this image had gone beyond what’s needed and dived into Walt Disney world. I’m sorry (and I know nothing) but I just don’t believe the “twinkle twinkle little star” thingy in the middle. Either the camera’s got some grease on it or someone’s got carried away with photoshop.

They are called diffraction spikes. Everything in that photo that has one is a star (effectively a point source). Everything else...is a galaxy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

:lol:

Being serious for a sec: The ‘twinkle twinkle little star’ thingy is in fact, errr, a star. Only, much nearer than the lensing galaxy cluster (4.6Bn LY) in the centre, and the red smears which are the much more distant (c13Bn LY) galaxies that have been focused and magnified by the lensing cluster.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fascinating stuff. I hadn't realised it was a) so far away and b) orbiting the sun in an L2 orbit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here