Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] James Tilley to Yeovil Town?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Must be absolutely brilliant then. Every time I've watched the U23s (which I have whenever there's been a stream available), Cox has been one of the stand out players on the pitch.

I realise there's competition for the LB spot (and not a lot of vacancies for a LB at the moment) although Cox looks perfectly capable of playing LWB too. Got a feeling if we let him go it'll be another Steve Cook situation.

Cochrane is really good, Cox delivers a great ball, but I think Cochrane is the complete package.

He was outstanding towards the end of last season when Cox went out on loan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I was rather looking forward to some sordid stories from the Gulls Eye coach tours. Anyone? Or are they best left on the coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Apparently he’s now signed for us, though it’s still yet to be officially announced. Appreciate you lot probably haven’t seen loads of him, but is he any good?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Apparently he’s now signed for us, though it’s still yet to be officially announced. Appreciate you lot probably haven’t seen loads of him, but is he any good?

At one point, alongside Jordan Maguire-Drew, he was probably the most promising youngster on the Albion's books. He made his league debut as a (very late) substitute in a dead rubber of a match in May 2015; he featured in a league cup match the following season and scored in another league cup match after coming on as a substitute the season after that. He just never pushed on from being a promising youth prospect to establishing himself.

After he scored that goal against Barnet in the league cup in August 2017, the development squad manager Simon Rusk said "James has made great progress. He went on and had a good impact against Barnet in the Carabao Cup. I think (on Tuesday) against a level of League One player, he showed he can be very dangerous. He made his debut a long time ago. He is a project, not an overnight fix."

He certainly has something, but whether he'll ever establish himself as a decent league player remains to be seen.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
At one point, alongside Jordan Maguire-Drew, he was probably the most promising youngster on the Albion's books. He made his league debut as a (very late) substitute in a dead rubber of a match in May 2015; he featured in a league cup match the following season and scored in another league cup match after coming on as a substitute the season after that. He just never pushed on from being a promising youth prospect to establishing himself.

After he scored that goal against Barnet in the league cup in August 2017, the development squad manager Simon Rusk said "James has made great progress. He went on and had a good impact against Barnet in the Carabao Cup. I think (on Tuesday) against a level of League One player, he showed he can be very dangerous. He made his debut a long time ago. He is a project, not an overnight fix."

He certainly has something, but whether he'll ever establish himself as a decent league player remains to be seen.

CnFtuRGWIAAzdd2.jpeg
DKrGkaOXUAIomCB.jpeg

Picking your brains squire, can you name any of these players, that are still with the Albion.
Images were taken in 2016.
My brains gone :lolol:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Off topic but probably not worthy of its own thread.

Just heard from a Swindon fan that we’ve signed a 16 year old from them called Markus Ifill for 250k. Got on the bench for Swindon when he was 15 so presumably a bright prospect.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
View attachment 119141
View attachment 119142

Picking your brains squire, can you name any of these players, that are still with the Albion.
Images were taken in 2016.
My brains gone :lolol:

In the first picture, the two nearest the camera are Isaac Hutchinson (now at Southend United) and Alex Cochrane (who was on the bench against Wednesday in the cup). The two behind that are goalkeeper Tom McGill (still at the club) and, I think, Luis Garcia (who moved to Sevilla but is now at Las Palmas). Too blurry to make out any of the others.

The second picture wasn't taken in 2016! The two playing table football are Mamadou Kone and Jordan Araujo, both of whom joined the club in August 2017 (and have now moved on). The three at the back, from left to right, are Antef Tsoungui, Nathan Odokonyero and Marley Marshall (who is a 1st-year scholar at Colchester United this season but has just had a loan spell at Worthing).

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In the first picture, the two nearest the camera are Isaac Hutchinson (now at Southend United) and Alex Cochrane (who was on the bench against Wednesday in the cup). The two behind that are goalkeeper Tom McGill (still at the club) and, I think, Luis Garcia (who moved to Sevilla but is now at Las Palmas). Too blurry to make out any of the others.

The second picture wasn't taken in 2016! The two playing table football are Mamadou Kone and Jordan Araujo, both of whom joined the club in August 2017 (and have now moved on). The three at the back, from left to right, are Antef Tsoungui, Nathan Odokonyero and Marley Marshall (who is a 1st-year scholar at Colchester United this season but has just had a loan spell at Worthing).

My mistake, that was the return invitation to the Lancing academy in 2017.
Thank you for that AZ, it shows how quick a turn around the academy has :thumbsup:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Thanks! Sounds like he could be a prospect for us with the right experience and coaching.

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
Marley Marshall has extended his loan at Worthing for another month.

He scored a cracking volley last Saturday v Merstham, local lad apparently and looks a decent player in his few appearances so far for Worthing.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Marley Marshall has extended his loan at Worthing for another month.

He scored a cracking volley last Saturday v Merstham, local lad apparently and looks a decent player in his few appearances so far for Worthing.

Yep, attended Worthing High School. This from their December 2016 newsletter (he is third from left in the back row):-

1234.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Feel a bit sorry for James Tilley. It was a big move for the young lad to sign for Grimsby and relocate to the cold, Lincolnshire coast. Ultimately, he was sold a dream by Ian Holloway, and that dream turned out be a dudd. No shame on young James, we all got sold the same dream by Holloway (now interchangeably referred to by Town fans as Hollow words or Runaway), a man who it transpired is a dangerous fraud; a fraud who may well cause to us lose our league status a second time but could have potentially seen us lose much, much more had the intended narrative played out further.

Tilley started well when he first signed, looking tricky, energetic and a real prospect. Then Covid struck. The team he returned to was markedly poorer than the one he was playing in before football’s spring and summer hiatus. The lineup changed constantly and he picked up an injury that saw him miss a good chunk of games early in the season.

It never really happened for him after that. One or two fans remarked that he hadn’t looked interested in recent games, and while I’d probably back up that observation I think it’s entirely understandable. For a young man to be playing so far from home in such a dire side is going to drain confidence and enthusiasm at the best of times, and at these very worst of times, with no social life and no way of seeing family, it must be incredibly tough. Fans are quick to forget that players are human beings too, and they’re struggling with current events as much as the rest of us.

At the present time, a move to Crawley makes all the sense in the world and I wish him well. I have a feeling we may look back on James Tilley as one who got away; I hope for his sake, we do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here