Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Robinson!!!!!!!!

the hawkmaster

Oct 13, 2003
After tonites performance I feel that we should drop Leon becuses (I know its unthinkable but) he has overgrown his boots he thinks he is as they say "all that" and just doesnt seem to care anymore and jake 2day was very impressive when he came on and had passion any 1 else agree?!?!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Mark McGhee called Knight's performance "inept" and Jake's "different class".

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I heard that on the phone in too I agree with Mcghee the question is why?? On the phone in they reckon Knight will be out of here at the end of the season. Especially if we don't go up to Div1

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Was that GK a youth player?
Have these 2 met in youth games before?
How many other players have been sent off in their first pro game?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think McGhee was a bit harsh on Knight. He had at least three defenders on him most of the game - and good defenders at that - Brentford haven't had many scored against them this season. He's also cut out the diving as requested. I don't think he likes the cold weather much though.

What happened with Jake with the injury?

For one awful moment it looked as though he'd dislocated his shoulder :ohmy:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That comment was from the Hoddle school of management.

Calling Leon inept will not endear him to the club.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
McGhee is a twat if he said that, Leon was being marked by 2 and sometimes 3 blokes all night, i really do wonder about McGhee sometimes...

I'd still start with Leon & Benji for the next match and then bring on Robinson to change the game if needed coz that's what he's good at.

It's an interesting question whether Leon putting 80 per cent effort in is a better player for us currently than Jake Robinson. I think he still is.

But McGhee has been going down the public arse-kicking road now for a few weeks. He did it Trev and that seems to have worked there.

He's now dishing it out to Leon. I would never drop Leon, even an 80% Leon, but with Robinson looking so lively, it's a tempting option for McGhee. I wouldn't do it though. You can't drop your best player. He will come good again if given the chance.

Leon also got a bad smack in the mouth in the second half, similar to what happened against Plymouth. He went off the boil then and did the same today.

The contrast with Jake flat out on the ground and not being able to move one minute after that bad tumble, and then five minutes later darting around again like anything, well, it's a pregnant contrast to how Leon takes a knock.

McGhee is an old Presbytarian in his outlook on life and he's clearly not impressed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The trouble is and I know this is repeating things but strikers need chances created for them - Piercey.

Clearly not fully match fit or still partially injured - roll on next Wednesday with a fit Piercey

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Lush said:
I think McGhee was a bit harsh on Knight.
Jones was just as bad and Benjamin looked just as disinterested but if Knight doesn't want to play for us then we should sell him, play Jake and use the money to replace our totally inept midfield.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Falmer Dream said:
Jones was just as bad and Benjamin looked just as disinterested

Jones was not just as bad but worse IMHO.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Actually it's a moot point as to who will be feeling worse this evening. Knight after McGhee called him "inept" on the radio or Jonesy after the massive cheer that went up when he was finally substituted.

Having helped win us the match with that great cross, it looked increasingly likely that a poor pass from Nathan was going to lose us the game IMHO and it was good to see him finally taken off.

Sea

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
jones was laughable at some points of the match! Felt a bit sorry for him tho when the crowd cheered when he got announced to be taken off tho! knight just didnt seem interested in the match tonight, Robinson on the other hand ran after everything, was worrying tho when he landed awkwardly tho :nono:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
the only time leon seemed 2 move all night when he came off!.there was just no movement from the front 2 until jake came on and if he could av finished that chance it would av rounded of a great 25 mins from him.

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Transcript of interview between Andrew Hawes (BBC Southern Counties Radio) and Mark McGhee...

AH: "You made quite a noticeable substitution, Leon Knight coming off and Jake Robinson coming on. What were you looking for? What was the thinking there?"

MM: "Well, I thought that Leon was totally inept. I mean I think that he's come back from a suspension, I've given him the benefit of the doubt and I was looking for someone you know to give us a bit more life up front."

AH: "It's something you talked about before the game, the movement of the strikers. Was there more of that overall or not?"

MM: "I thought Jake Robinson was different class."

AH: "How impressed were you with the sort of build up and him keeping cool if you like for the sending off when he was put through?"

MM: "Well the little lad has - you know, in a sporting sense, I don't want to overuse the word - but he's got great courage. You know he got battered on the sideline there and it hurt the wee lad. And then he got pummelled again but he didn't pull out of that. You know there was no way he was pulling out of that ball. He knew he was going to get clattered or likely to get clattered by the goalkeeper and there was no way he was pulling out of that. You know he was going to try and win the ball and score a goal. Tremendous. You know I mean he's about 4 stone 7, you know, and yet he's as brave as a lion."

AH: "How much potential do you see in him?"

MM: "Well, you've seen it yourself tonight. I think great potential. Some players of his size it would go against them, but he has the ability and he also has the courage."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Trigger said:
Funniest moment was Harty's air shot by the corner flag in the second half, i nearly fell off my seat!

:jester:
2nd funniest moment had to be that Brentford players attempt at an overhead bicycle kick in the first half. Just launched himself backwards without even "peddling" his legs, and landed on his arse. Marvellous.
:lolol:

Lush

Mods' Pet
To his credit though, Harty didn't do the usual thing of glaring at the ground and kicking at an imaginary divot. He just trotted back as if it was an everyday occurence. He must have been SOOOOOOO embarassed though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lush said:
I don't think he likes the cold weather much though.

Maybe he should think of playing a summer sport such as cricket then ! :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here