Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Robinson - 2 goals in 43 games

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
That is true, however Zamora was playing at a much lower level than we are now, and physically much more developed than Jakey.

He also was given a run in the side which breeds confidence, you can see that even now.... when he was in and out of the Spurs and West Ham team he was unwanted by the fans and was not scoring goals...now he has been given a run in the team he has scored goals.

We have chopped and changed our front two so many times i think both Jakey and CKR have had their confidence effected. If Jakey had been given the run that Gatting now seems to be getting then maybe he would have scored more

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
blockhseagull said:
That is true, however Zamora was playing at a much lower level than we are now, and physically much more developed than Jakey.

He also was given a run in the side which breeds confidence, you can see that even now.... when he was in and out of the Spurs and West Ham team he was unwanted by the fans and was not scoring goals...now he has been given a run in the team he has scored goals.

We have chopped and changed our front two so many times i think both Jakey and CKR have had their confidence effected. If Jakey had been given the run that Gatting now seems to be getting then maybe he would have scored more

Zamora was a different style of player to Robinson, but he was only a year older when playing at this level. The big difference was Zamora always looked like he would score, Robinson looks like a jigsaw when in the 18 yard area.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Look Gatting has been woeful in the 2 games I have seen. Lets now pretend he has been good as he hasn't. Its not the guys fault as he is clearly trying but he is hopelessly out of his depth. I do not blame McGhee as he has tried every other option and that has not worked but at the moment Gatting would struggle in Div 2.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Uncle Spielberg said:
Look Gatting has been woeful in the 2 games I have seen. Lets now pretend he has been good as he hasn't. Its not the guys fault as he is clearly trying but he is hopelessly out of his depth. I do not blame McGhee as he has tried every other option and that has not worked but at the moment Gatting would struggle in Div 2.
Gatting is younger than Robinson and he has the physical strength to play at this level. He has a lot to learn but the hope is that he will be scoring league goals as he has done at other levels in a year or so.
Robinson is no better now than when he first came into the team 2 years ago and is too lightweight to bother defenders.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:

Extremely harsh IMO.

Personally I think his performances in the two games I would guess you are referring to would make him our first choice striker right now when set against the alternatives.

I also believe that if CKR were to play around Gatting rather than drifting out wide quite so often then I think Gatting's benefit to the team would be illustrated even more. That said it is still a huge ask from one(s) so young.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Cant have helped the confidence of our young strikers when the likes of knight and big mac have been having little tantrums demanding to be first choice strikers.

I can see a future for Jakey, CKR and Gatting.

But the club needs to get fingers out of bottoms & bring in a been there & done it type of striker for the youngsters to look upto and learn from.

I think I disagreed with Stumpy Tim about whether a thread yesterday about Joe Gatting was negative.

Now this is a negative thread. Lots of blanket, summary judgements and lazy generalisations about our young players based on what is still very limited game time, 17 starts for Robinson and just a handful for Gatting.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pipe down ;)

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
if jake was at any other championship club probably wouldn't even be getting a look in its onl cos the predicament we find ourselves in that he finds himself getting so much experience.think a lot of people on here forget he really shouldnt be a pro yet should be a 3rd year trainee along with dean cox and lee carey! jake will come good im confident of that he's got 3 years after this left on his contract by witch time he will be 22 hopefully by then he should be making the most of the experience he's gained!

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Definitely well, well, well, over hyped, i still dont think he will turn out to be a good player, even when he is a 'finished article'.

Uncle Spielberg said:
Pipe down ;)
Oh if you insist Gareth!

But Gatting has had chances, shot over the bar at the end of the Leicester game, a header when well-positioned at Norwich, and a few other half-chances.

He's very raw, and maybe he didn't get much of a sniff against Watford, but I don't think a first goal is that far away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here