Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jack butland

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Incidentally, on Sky Sports News they keep showing footage of Butland in his Birmingham warm up stuff strolling about. It looks suspiciously like the Amex, because Butland had been recalled from his loan at the end of the season and warmed the bench here.

Oh right, I didn't realise that. Well at least that's something.

I'm quite happy to accept Butland MIGHT one day be good and that he has POTENTIAL. However, right now, we're looking at putting together a squad to face Benzema, Ribery, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Xavi, Muller, Van Persie etc. What you're telling me is that somebody who's played two dozen games for Cheltenham Town could be selected in the most important position on the pitch.

JESUS f***ing CHRIST.

TCB in 'being negative' shocker. How many of the 16 3rd choice keepers do you think will play at the Euros, realistically? How many of England's have played at previous tournaments?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh right, I didn't realise that. Well at least that's something.

I'm quite happy to accept Butland MIGHT one day be good and that he has POTENTIAL. However, right now, we're looking at putting together a squad to face Benzema, Ribery, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Xavi, Muller, Van Persie etc. What you're telling me is that somebody who's played two dozen games for Cheltenham Town could be selected in the most important position on the pitch.

JESUS f***ing CHRIST.

Ha Ha, whats really funny about this, is that you're almost suggesting that it's our 3rd choice keeper that is really going to effect our chances! One thing is for certain, our goalkeeper will be busy!!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The fact is, goalkeeper is the most important position on the pitch. If one of the other keepers gets injured at any point then we've got this kid on the bench, just waiting for a red card or freak injury. Players like Carson and Green have crumbled under the pressure of playing for England in big games. I don't like either of them, but at least they had plenty of EPL experience backing them up. Taking someone without any of that is totally insane, whatever way you look at it.

Bet you were furious when Michael Owen played against Argentina, aged 17.

Seriously, if the experienced keepers have "crumbled" and you don't want highly rated younsters involved, who do you want? You don't seem to understand that England don't have many great choices after Hart

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fact is, goalkeeper is the most important position on the pitch. If one of the other keepers gets injured at any point then we've got this kid on the bench, just waiting for a red card or freak injury. Players like Carson and Green have crumbled under the pressure of playing for England in big games. I don't like either of them, but at least they had plenty of EPL experience backing them up. Taking someone without any of that is totally insane, whatever way you look at it.

So who are you taking then? Foster is retired, Green is there with Hart, who are you picking instead of Butland!? Don't just give it large about the selection, who should be 3rd choice?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bet you were furious when Michael Owen played against Argentina, aged 17.

Seriously, if the experienced keepers have "crumbled" and you don't want highly rated younsters involved, who do you want? You don't seem to understand that England don't have many great choices after Hart

I agree, it's a progressive selection that sends a positive message to young players representing the England youth teams, and for those prepared to get first team football in the lower leagues. Too many sides in the PL and Championship are opting for foreign keepers, it's no great surprise we're struggling for a keeper with top flight experience - hence Ruddy was in in the first place.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
A striker is totally different. You can afford wildcard picks, because their performances won't single-handedly lose you any matches. In fact, I encourage selections like Owen in 98 and Walcott in 06, which is why I'm happy Oxlade-Chamberlain is going this time.

And I'd have begged Paul Robinson to go as back-up keeper.

Robinson said no, and no doubt would have "crumbled", so who next?

Did he? Was he asked? He only retired because Steve McLaren is a clown, so I don't see why he wouldn't return in the right circumstances now.

You have a very selective memory. He retired less than 2 years ago, under Capello.
BBC Sport - Football - Keeper Paul Robinson retires from England duty
"Only now have I been able to make this decision as previously I haven't been in contention for selection," he said.
"I don't see myself as a number three or four keeper and find that role very frustrating."

As for who's next, even if we presume there are no more English keepers in the EPL (I genuinely don't know if there are), then how about every single English keeper in the Championship? They've got experience that is at least two divisions higher than anything Butland has. There is also Carson in Turkey. He may be shit at the top level, but at least he has some vague idea of how to play there.

Your logic is getting increasingly desperate. If you are routing round the Championship for keepers they are clearly not up to the required standard of playing for England, so what's the difference between having someone not good enough from the Championship and someone currently not good enough but with potential from League 2?

I thought the game that hacked him off was the Croatia disaster when he was overlooked at the last minute in favour of Carson.

I still think you can make a case for him being the best English keeper of all of them, including Hart.

And it is a desperate situation, I'm not denying that. You don't need to try and tell me that looking in the Championship is anything other than woeful. It's f***ing shit. But it's still better than looking in League Two I'm afraid.

I'm done here - all I'm going to say is that you and me have a very different perception of goalkeepers (particularly 3rd choice ones).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought the game that hacked him off was the Croatia disaster when he was overlooked at the last minute in favour of Carson.

I still think you can make a case for him being the best English keeper of all of them, including Hart.

And it is a desperate situation, I'm not denying that. You don't need to try and tell me that looking in the Championship is anything other than woeful. It's f***ing shit. But it's still better than looking in League Two I'm afraid.

Robinson being the best England keeper of all time? Are you really suggesting a decent case can be made for this?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Robinson being the best England keeper of all time? Are you really suggesting a decent case can be made for this?

To be fair to TCB, that isn't what he said.

Hart was number 3 at the world cup, and is now easily recognisable as first choice. Butland may look the obvious number 2 by this time next year. All goalkeepers have to start somewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here