Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

J J Akotcha........

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
sorry can't get link to work but story goes as posted on 8 july 2008 :

Former international and Super Eagles' skipper Austin "Jay-Jay" Okocha has quit the soccer stage. In a testimonial match organised to honour the soccer legend in Warri, Delta State, recently, Okocha led past and present Eagles' stars against an all-star 11. It was to be the end of a quite fantastic career on the pitch.

Okocha has distinguished himself as a worthy ambassador of Nigeria and a proud son of Delta State. The mercurial midfielder started playing football in Enugu before he moved to Germany to seek a career with Borussia Neunkirchen. When he moved to Eintratcht Frankfurt he scored a memorable goal against Karlsruche that was voted the Goal of the Year in 1993. He also played for Fernabahce, P.S.G., before joining the Bolton Wanderers where he helped to save the club from relegation in the 2002-2003 seasons and its onward march to the final of the League Cup. Back home, Okocha remained a pillar in the midfield of the Super Eagles for almost two decades.

If there is a role model to be recommended for the youths, especially those from the Niger Delta, it is Austin Okocha. We wish him well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quit the INTERNATIONAL soccer stage maybe...?

Perhaps - but if he's back in Nigeria, he's not going to be sorting out a contract here at the moment. Sounds unlikely, anyway.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Perhaps - but if he's back in Nigeria, he's not going to be sorting out a contract here at the moment. Sounds unlikely, anyway.

Or maybe he wants to break the exciting news to his mother in person. I believe she's been a lifelong fan and used to have a picture of Dennis Foreman on her wall for many years. It has long been her dream that "ickle JJ" (as she calls him) could one day run out in the stripes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes. Them.

My heart is now set on seeing JJ run out at Withers, and anybody suggesting it JUST MIGHT not happen, is clearly LYING.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
They're clearly LYING.

I read it on the BBC a month or so ago that he had a "farewell Testimonial" in Nigeria as he was retiring from football, but I just don't think that means very much. Plenty of sportmen announce their retirement only to change their mind and play again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He's only 34.
International retirement - YES
Albion retirement - 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here