Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Izquierdo - what’s going on?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If he still has the pace and will accept a lower wage, it would be decent business to keep him on for another year.

He's a different option and would add value to the squad as an impact sub,

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's difficult to see anyone else signing him so it may well be he gets +1 year on what I would expect to be much reduced wages.

Even then I suspect the next few weeks will be pivotal, if we can see off Leeds at the weekend we could see a lot more of him in the final 4 games as he's fully assessed

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'd like him to stay if he is still as quick but I fear the Covid downward pressure on the overall wage bill will mean a tough decision is made and we wave goodbye.

The other reason for his possible release - nothing to do with Covid or to an extent costs - and why he might be released is because we currently have a large ish first team squad even without long term injuries. Thus - without significant rotation - certain players are either not going to get game time or even make the match day squad of 20. Thats a challenge for the manager who needs to keep his players motivated, and match fit and for the players - who want to play first team football.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair, I do think we have a lack of pass in the squad, and the glimpses we saw on Saturday may bring something different that we don't have elsewhere

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If he's fully fit (and he absolutely must be, or very close otherwise our cautious medical team wouldn't have let him anywhere near the squad) and the prognosis for the future is good then he'd be a great asset to hold on to. For the next few games, bring him off the bench if the situation allows - instantly adds pace (and a decent long shot) to the team and one of the very few we have that can terrify defenders with it (I dream of him and Lamptey on the pitch together on opposite wings). Similar to, but miles ahead of Connolly as an impact sub option (for example - has the same tendency to cut in from the left and shoot) IMO.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Not a dig at you but why do people suggest pay as you play contracts? Is there or as there been such a thing.

I read this on so many football forums but never seen evidence.

I think Ricardo Fuller had a contract like that at either Stoke or Portsmouth (maybe both), but they're pretty rare I think. I've certainly never heard of the Albion doing it with anyone.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Not a dig at you but why do people suggest pay as you play contracts? Is there or as there been such a thing.

I read this on so many football forums but never seen evidence.

Almost all player contracts feature performance related bonuses, appearances, clean sheets, goals scored, assists, final league position, cup runs etc. It is only the media that like to make you believe each contract is a flat weekly salary. I'm not suggesting the entire contract is appearances, but certainly to get it up to a PL level of pay would be perhaps.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If he can make a positive contribution over the next 5 games, and perghaps pre season I don't see whay he wopuldn't get some offer for another season. he must have cost the club a fortune by now so we should at least try and recoup something!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Pretty sure they could measure his pace in training sessions, dont really need game time for that.

They almost certainly would know that and the comparison to where he was in 2017/18. They probably also have a fair estimate of the duration of a game that he can keep it up (his pace not an erection).

I thought there was something in his contract about an automatic extension if he played a few more games this season.

I think that this was all hear say and speculation based on the fact that he kept getting picked for the squad but didn't get any minutes, even though there were some ideal opportunities - e.g. 3-0 up against Newcastle with 20 mins to play.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Almost all player contracts feature performance related bonuses, appearances, clean sheets, goals scored, assists, final league position, cup runs etc. It is only the media that like to make you believe each contract is a flat weekly salary. I'm not suggesting the entire contract is appearances, but certainly to get it up to a PL level of pay would be perhaps.

Not so much nowadays - They tend to be squad bonus systems now. Based on things like staying up or reaching Europe or based on where they finish in the League

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Not so much nowadays - They tend to be squad bonus systems now. Based on things like staying up or reaching Europe or based on where they finish in the League

Ferran Soriano CEO of Man City actually wrote a book called 'Goal' based on his philosophy of performance related pay that he started while finance director of Barca. Barca are still said to employ his 2/3rds salary, 1/3rd bonuses, and that continues at ManCity. I think many PL clubs follow similar models, and as you say feature squad wide achievement bonuses. I don't think it would be unusual to have someone like Izzy, long term injured and potentially a risk on a low salary heavily weight to appearance bonuses.

Just my opinion like.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Injuries are clearly an issue. I doubt he’ll get another season but he can hit the target effectively unlike most of the squad.

A couple of goals between now and the end of the season and who knows?

I guess it all depends on what is going on in training but the fact that he has been named on the bench probably indicates we are assessing him . His cameo appearance was good but so was Ali J... maybe if they offered him some sort of pay for playing contract then it might suit both parties.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
You originally said apperanced based which I interpreted as pay as you play.

I know there are individual/team bonuses, but like I said, I'm not having a dig or calling you out, I just see this mentioned so much but never seen or heard of it in practice.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
You originally said apperanced based which I interpreted as pay as you play.

I know there are individual/team bonuses, but like I said, I'm not having a dig or calling you out, I just see this mentioned so much but never seen or heard of it in practice.

I didn't take it as such. :thumbsup:

I should have been clearer, obviously it couldn't be punitive on the player's part so I should have said a lower basic with a bonus package weighted toward appearances to bring him up to a level that would still be attractive to him, but not cost the club a fortune if he doesn't.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just seen a comment on Twitter.

"West Ham must be bricking it!"

Those two goals he scored against them must be in our top 10 Premier league goals.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's difficult to see anyone else signing him so it may well be he gets +1 year on what I would expect to be much reduced wages.

Even then I suspect the next few weeks will be pivotal, if we can see off Leeds at the weekend we could see a lot more of him in the final 4 games as he's fully assessed

Is it?

I dont think so at all, a very good player in Belgium and good player for Albion in the PL who has the ability to score worldies and a full Colombia International........

Recovered from a long term injury and available on a free, you think nobody is going to sign him if he can pass a medical?

He'll have plenty of suitors

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here