Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ivor Caplin.......a question.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Even with Falmer very much on the horizon, I find myself in yet another pub argument on Sunday when one of the Gulls Eye team puts his hands up and admits to shopping at the Goldstone Retail Park.
With Bellotti themed threads elsewhere on this board, even nearly 15 years on from the Goldstone sale being revealed, I can neither forgive nor forget.
Am I stubborn and narrow minded? Probably, I even made SCR link up a mic in Newtown Road on the 10th anniversary in 2007 because I cannot go in there.
But talking to Chartlon fans and looking at the sitauation with the Valley could Ivor Caplin and the then Council have done more with the Goldstone site?
As the council with Charlton did, could they not have ringfenced the Goldstone site with some kind of planning ruling, telling Archer and whoever bought it,(Probably Mrs Archer in another guise) "Yes you can build on there, but only when Brighton have a new stadium within the conurbation?"
It worked with the Valley so why not with the Goldstone?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The council were very limp wristed, but I guess they wanted to get the site developed as soon as possible and create some jobs.

How many jobs were actually created? Whenever I have been into Toys 'r' Us or Comet, there NEVER seems to be that many working there.

I would love it (not going to happen) if the three/four firms moved out and the council purchased the site and turned it into an all weather training centre for Brighton & Hove Albion and sports facilities for the city population.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What would to do if someone wanted their ashes sprinkled on the centre circle of the Golstone Ian? thats under the washing machines in Currys or whatever it is. Would you solemny march through the white goods holding the urn? or would you give the job to the Co-Op?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have NEVER even been past the site since walking away from the ground after bating Doncaster Rovers. In my minds eye the Goldstone still exists, because I've never replaced the vision with one of bulldozers, building sites or Toys R Us etc.

Once Falmer is built I may just about be able to stomach it.

You are neither stubborn, nor narrow minded Harty. We were wronged, very badly wronged, and no-one is obliged to either forgive of forget.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
With the snow recently I had to get to Hangleton from my flat in central Brighton, which meant having to drive past the old Goldstone site.

I have only driven past it a few times in all these years and will still make diversions not to see it. Even once Falmer is built I will probably avoid it.

Yes the council could have done more, but they have helped since. How about Pompey I hope their ground stays protected while the latest moneymen look at making a profit from a ground and its land.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have NEVER even been past the site since walking away from the ground after bating Doncaster Rovers. In my minds eye the Goldstone still exists, because I've never replaced the vision with one of bulldozers, building sites or Toys R Us etc.

Once Falmer is built I may just about be able to stomach it.

You are neither stubborn, nor narrow minded Harty. We were wronged, very badly wronged, and no-one is obliged to either forgive or forget.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I went there once a few years ago, felt bad about it ever since and would never shop there again.

The Council could and should have done much more in those years.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
What would to do if someone wanted their ashes sprinkled on the centre circle of the Golstone Ian? thats under the washing machines in Currys or whatever it is. Would you solemny march through the white goods holding the urn? or would you give the job to the Co-Op?

I'd get a member of staff who has no interest in football to do it.

I'm still mulling over the idea of having me ashes scattered, freely, at the Toys R Us checkout at Hove at 4pm on the last Saturday before christmas, in the December after my death, hopefully it would shut the shop on the busiest day of the year.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
think this reinforces my point about you not being funny or interesting :wozza:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Even with Falmer very much on the horizon, I find myself in yet another pub argument on Sunday when one of the Gulls Eye team puts his hands up and admits to shopping at the Goldstone Retail Park.
With Bellotti themed threads elsewhere on this board, even nearly 15 years on from the Goldstone sale being revealed, I can neither forgive nor forget.
Am I stubborn and narrow minded? Probably, I even made SCR link up a mic in Newtown Road on the 10th anniversary in 2007 because I cannot go in there.
But talking to Chartlon fans and looking at the sitauation with the Valley could Ivor Caplin and the then Council have done more with the Goldstone site?
As the council with Charlton did, could they not have ringfenced the Goldstone site with some kind of planning ruling, telling Archer and whoever bought it,(Probably Mrs Archer in another guise) "Yes you can build on there, but only when Brighton have a new stadium within the conurbation?"
It worked with the Valley so why not with the Goldstone?

Prior to Archer coming along, Hove Borough Council could have done much more - but then so could the club.

After planning permission was approved, they had an unwritten agreement about not being allowed to build on the Goldstone site until the Albion found a new home. It was one Archer had no intention of honouring when he later became chairman.

However, why you should round on Ivor Caplin for what was a council-wide f***-up leaves me baffled. He was one of only three Labour councillors (out of 30), and he - and they - had very little clout at the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really have not got the energy or inclination to ponder this. It was a long time ago and I'm now too focused on the fact that it's now 2010 and next year we will be moving into a cool, gleaming new stadium.

It might not have been the perfect route but we are on the verge of getting what we wanted. In this sense, and in my opinion, everything has turned out just fine.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I really have not got the energy or inclination to ponder this. It was a long time ago and I'm now too focused on the fact that it's now 2010 and next year we will be moving into a cool, gleaming new stadium.

It might not have been the perfect route but we are on the verge of getting what we wanted. In this sense, and in my opinion, everything has turned out just fine.

I guess you could say the say the same about WW2 if you want to debate it like an idiot would. But must people would want to discuss the impact of millions dying to achieve that outcome. :dunce:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, why you should round on Ivor Caplin for what was a council-wide f***-up leaves me baffled. He was one of only three Labour councillors (out of 30), and he - and they - had very little clout at the time.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess you could say the say the same about WW2 if you want to debate it like an idiot would. But must people would want to discuss the impact of millions dying to achieve that outcome. :dunce:

:wozza:

Slightly different I'd say.

But, now you mention it, there's also a lot of people who could do everyone a favour by moving on from WW2 as well.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004

What?

• 14 years without a stadium
  • Nearly went bust and out of the league
  • Lost a whole generation of fans
  • Spent over a decade watching our club in a wet and horrible stadium

Yeah, brilliant.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Prior to Archer coming along, Hove Borough Council could have done much more - but then so could the club.

After planning permission was approved, they had an unwritten agreement about not being allowed to build on the Goldstone site until the Albion found a new home. It was one Archer had no intention of honouring when he later became chairman.

Al have you got your dates wrong old boy? (Last thing we want is you pregnant)

I thought Red Ivor had been swept to power at Hove Council in May of 1995, in a borough wide protest vote against the Tories.

I don't think I'm really 'turning on' him, its just he was high profile, who can forget him giving it 'large Ibiza' along with President Dick on the pitch at Hereford.

Sorry Al but part of me thinks he and the council could have done more, with perhaps the whole ring fence issue being an example.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've mentioned this before when I pointed out that the Tory-controlled Hove council could and should have done more to protect the Goldstone. I can't be bothered to dig up the threads but it's a reminder that, whatever else they say, Tory politicians have never been friends of the Albion.

Merton Council stopped the development of Plough Lane for many years. I used to live near there and walk past the rusting and dilapidated stadium. I'm not sure why they finally gave in and allowed development? Was it after the formation of MK Dons?

EDIT: Just seen Tim's comment and he's right. It was a Labour-led council at the time of the election, although I think it was still Tory-controlled when Archer took over the Albion

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here