Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've (stupidly) agreed to do the 3 peaks challenge....!!

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Ok so the other night while a bit p!ssed i kinda agreed to do the 3 peaks challenge with a girl from work and some of her clients. :D

I've read up on it and it sounds HORRENDOUS!

Climb 3 mountains in 24 hours between Scotland, the North and Wales.

Has anyone here done it....got any advice please (apart from maybe cut down on the fags the day before!!!)

Three Peaks Challenge

Muchos :)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Very jealous always wanted to do it but never got the group together. Will be a blast

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My other half has done it. She said it was quite a slog but most people with a reasonable degree of fitness should be OK. You'll want a (non-climbing) driver so you can all just chillax when on the road between mountains.

Or, do it the NSC way (make claims about doing it and come back here in a year or so and say you're not really).

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
As long as you do a bit of hill training before, I understand you should be fine. Will, though, depend if you want to get inside 24 hours or just do it. And you can only go as fast as the slowest member of your party!

The most dangerous bit (presuming you will have a guide directing you particularly for the walking at night bit/s) will be trusting whoever is driving between mountains. Therefore make sure its either a corporate organised event, or that you can trust the drivers (you must have more than 1 for that distance) not to fall asleep at the wheel!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My other half has done it. She said it was quite a slog but most people with a reasonable degree of fitness should be OK. You'll want a (non-climbing) driver so you can all just chillax when on the road between mountains.

Or, do it the NSC way (make claims about doing it and come back here in a year or so and say you're not really).
That's a bit harsh. How many times has that happened?

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Thanks guys

I think we're doing it Mid July - so i need to cut down the fags at some piont !!

I havent got any walking gear at all, but have been told not to scrimp on the boots!! :D

Definitely want to do it within 24 hours

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Ok so the other night while a bit p!ssed

The only people I've known that have done three peaks challenge have used that exact phrase. They have also all given me good feedback and said it is a very forfilling experience.

Good luck!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Would love to do it, but have never managed to get a team together.

A fast driver gives you more time on the hills. Not sure that two are needed, as they can sleep while you walk and should therefore be ok. However, thinking about it, it may be quicker if they drive to the other side of Scafell Pikes, which limits the sleeping opportunities.

Enjoy!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Dear Brighton til I Die

Did 3 Peaks a few years back, well within 24 hours. Drove up from Brighton in the morning, started Snowdon early same evening, Scafell Pike later that night and finally Ben Nevis the following midday, finishing around late PM on day 2. Followed by not a few beers and a curry in Fort William, job done. Really satisfying but not to be underestimated.

Do look at the advice on relevant websites. I am not an expert but a lot is common sense and recall the following were helpful for us:

1. Use a reliable vehicle preferably with room to stretch out and grab some rest / sleep between climbs - ideally a mini bus.
2. Try to have 2 capable non-walking drivers - the road mileages involved are feat of endurance, especially on unfamiliar roads, stray sheep etc.
3. Loads of suitable dry clothing, underwear, socks and waterproofs etc - you will need it, especially if the weather is bad on all 3 peaks. Expect to be walking through several inches of snow on the summit of Ben Nevis, even in June/July. It was seriously cold up there.
4. Plan the timing / sequence of the walks to give you maximum use of daylight - however one of the climbs/descents may well be partly in the dark. Make sure all have headtorches and know how to map read and follow the routes in the dark / low cloud / mist.
5. Comfortable walking boots - don't break in a new pair for the first time.....
6. Good idea to do some practice walks up the South Downs in the preceding weeks - also helps team members understand what sort of pace they can manage.
7. If in doubt don't do it - there is potential for serious injury unless all members are fully focused. You are not climbing Everest but on the otherhand it is certainly not a jolly along Brighton prom. Thats why it is regarded as a proper acheivement.
8. Resist the temptation to carry a piano, beer barrel, go dressed as Gully or other similar burden, it may seem like a good idea at the time but.......
9. Have somewhere sorted for a hot shower and bed after eg B&B or possibly the YHA.

Finally don't plan too much for the following couple of days after 'cos you will feel shagged, but very happy!

Good luck.....and enjoy it.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I know someone who did it a couple of years ago. He was pretty fit, but very late 40's.

I would love to do it. Anyone seriously interested enough to look at putting a team together?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One word of warning, though. The route off the top of Ben Nevis is LETHAL in very poor conditions. Make sure you know the bearings and distances to walk if you are faced with zero visibility. The BMC lost their National Officer down Five Finger Gully back in the 90s (I think he actually survived the fall, though).

To find the path in the nil visibility of a white-out on the almost flat plateau of the Ben's summit is the most difficult feat of navigation in British mountaineering. Climbers must walk exactly 150 metres on a bearing of 231 degrees from the summit triangulation point, then change direction and follow another bearing of 281 degrees to clear the plateau and begin the descent on the Tourist Path.

Making that 50-degree change of course to the west- north-west at the correct point is crucial. To get it right, accurately measuring the steps for 150 metres while trying to read a plastic micro-navigation map and a compass in a blizzard, is extraordinarily difficult. Turn after too few steps and you fall over the cliffs you have just climbed; walking too many steps will put you on course for Five Finger Gully.

I think it unlikely that there would be snow in June / July, by the way. No more than the odd patch anyway. However, in winter, there's many feet of the stuff on the Ben.

Last edited:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Dear Brighton til I Die

Did 3 Peaks a few years back, well within 24 hours. Drove up from Brighton in the morning, started Snowdon early same evening, Scafell Pike later that night and finally Ben Nevis the following midday, finishing around late PM on day 2. Followed by not a few beers and a curry in Fort William, job done. Really satisfying but not to be underestimated.

Do look at the advice on relevant websites. I am not an expert but a lot is common sense and recall the following were helpful for us:

1. Use a reliable vehicle preferably with room to stretch out and grab some rest / sleep between climbs - ideally a mini bus.
2. Try to have 2 capable non-walking drivers - the road mileages involved are feat of endurance, especially on unfamiliar roads, stray sheep etc.
3. Loads of suitable dry clothing, underwear, socks and waterproofs etc - you will need it, especially if the weather is bad on all 3 peaks. Expect to be walking through several inches of snow on the summit of Ben Nevis, even in June/July. It was seriously cold up there.
4. Plan the timing / sequence of the walks to give you maximum use of daylight - however one of the climbs/descents may well be partly in the dark. Make sure all have headtorches and know how to map read and follow the routes in the dark / low cloud / mist.
5. Comfortable walking boots - don't break in a new pair for the first time.....
6. Good idea to do some practice walks up the South Downs in the preceding weeks - also helps team members understand what sort of pace they can manage.
7. If in doubt don't do it - there is potential for serious injury unless all members are fully focused. You are not climbing Everest but on the otherhand it is certainly not a jolly along Brighton prom. Thats why it is regarded as a proper acheivement.
8. Resist the temptation to carry a piano, beer barrel, go dressed as Gully or other similar burden, it may seem like a good idea at the time but.......
9. Have somewhere sorted for a hot shower and bed after eg B&B or possibly the YHA.

Finally don't plan too much for the following couple of days after 'cos you will feel shagged, but very happy!

Good luck.....and enjoy it.

Yes, Cant disagree too much except we went Ben Nevis, Scarfell and then Snowdon.

The key thing is making sure you have a driver and then the rest will fit provided you are up for it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here