Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've hardly any food in the house. What can I cook with this?

425g tin of Pilchards in tomatoe sauce
Similar sized tin of chopped tomatoes
Plenty of dried pasta and spaghetti
Tin of chestnut puree (needs eating soon!)
Whole lemons (need eating now!)
An onion
Instant mash

Some sort of Pasta bake? The recipes I have looked at all require some sort of fat or oil which I do not have.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
use the mash onion and drained fish to make a rosti, use the tinned toms as liquid to cook the pasta,squeeze the lemon onto the fried rosti's and the chestnuts as a door stop(about all they are fit for)

job done and loadsa room for some proper food in your larder

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
posh name for a hash brown

make a potato and onion based fish cake,should be enough moisture in the fish to hold it together,and fry it

tomatoes insted of water for flavour

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And what's rosti?
Its potato , boiled and then grated , form into the shape of a large burger adding butter and a pinch of salt and lightly fry until golden brown. I prefer the easy solution , they come ready made (found in the freezer cabinet at your local supermarket) and you can pop them into the oven or fry.

posh name for a hash brown

make a potato and onion based fish cake,should be enough moisture in the fish to hold it together,and fry it

tomatoes insted of water for flavour

Would take too long, and I need to something in oven so I can stay on NSC! How long do I boil the pasta for and how long in the oven at which gas mark. please?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Howsabout making up that instant mash; pipe thin lines of it onto foil; drain sauce off & rinse the tinned pilchards - & stick the lot in a hot oven 'til crispy.

Et voila: mini fish n chips. :thumbsup:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Chop the onion, boil it with the pasta. When the pasta is just about ready (when it stops sticking to your teeth when you bite a bit) drain it, and stir in the tomatoes. Heat it up and eat. Squeezing the lemon juice into it at the same time as adding the tomatoes won't do any harm, and you couls take a couple of pilchards out of the tin and add them for protein.

Keep the rest of the pilchards for breakfast. No idea what to do with the chestnut puree - have you got any furry pets to feed it too?

As for the instant mash - have you got any cracks in the woodwork which let in a draft? Mix up the potato, carefully work it into the gaps and leave it to set.............

Keep the rest of the pilchards for breakfast. .
Kippers, yes. Pilchards, yuk!

No idea what to do with the chestnut puree - have you got any furry pets to feed it too?.
I have mice in the house!

As for the instant mash - have you got any cracks in the woodwork which let in a draft? Mix up the potato, carefully work it into the gaps and leave it to set.............
I have mice in the house!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here