Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I've given up smoking for six weeks now!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Congrats DRF. As a social smoker (I can smoke 20 in a night when out and then have no desire for one until my next pub visit, which could be days or weeks away) I can't see myself ever quitting as I just don't have the day-to-day craving. Even putting aside the health benefits, the financial benefits of quitting must be a strong motivator for many.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Keep at it and don't go back.

You will feel better and be better off in your pocket.

I have been free of the weed for 13 years now.

Keep counting the hours, weeks, days since you last had one. And keep telling yourself you've given up for longer than you had yesterday.

But don't ever believe you've given up for good. It's a life long struggle (that I failed in, after nine years without one).

The trick is probably to find a way to lead a permanently stress-free life. Not easy.

But congratulations so far.

Crisp

Jul 11, 2003
Salisbury
Well done

My recent 37th birthday made me realise I need to give up soon. In my teens, I thought I'm young I'll give up when I'm 20. In my 20s, I thought I'll give up when I'm 30. But now, I'm thinking I have to give up soon or I'll be 50 and thinking Oh well might aswell smoke for the rest of my short life

200 duty frees to finish off, then I'm going for it!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Deano

not wishing to be a misery but you need to give up for at least a year before you can say you have cracked it!

I finally gave up at the grand old age of 30.

Anyway, keep going mate, you can do it!:thumbsup:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks Braders

(that was quick!)

Unfortunately i think I've had too many birthdays! :lolol:

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

well done. i've quit 3 significant times. This time i am at 6 months.

1 month 3 months 6 months and 1 year are the big ones.

they are the times you may start telling yourself - well my lungs must be better off for 3 months without smoking think i'll start again.

good luck

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
grats mate. I stopped 1 1/2 years ago. Like you just got up and said im gonan stop.

Keep it up. Dont be tempted to have a social one like i did the first time i gave up.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Wel done mate. Trying to myself but succumb every time I have a pint.

Scary sums help.

1 x packet Marlboro per day = £4.80p

7 x packet Marlboro per week = £33.60p

52 x weeks per year = £1747.20p

Double that for Mrs Pasty

Mr & Mrs Pasty spend £3,494.40p on cigarettes per year.

Now that's a week skiing in winter and a two week summer holiday taken care of........

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Thanks all.

Lord B and Buzza, I gave up for seven years before and started again :dunce: (divorce!) and since then I have had many futile attempts. THIS time (I know I'm tempting fate here) there is something different and I feel super confident, unlike any previous attempts. But yes, I will always be a "smoker" even if I'm a non-smoking one.

I'm 45 and I hate the thought of being a smelly old geezer with a roll-up hanging out of my mouth (apologies to any smelly old geezers with a roll-up hanging out of their mouth on here...).

And good luck to everyione else giving up.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Strangely enough DRF, I was going through my divorce when I stopped.

Just remember in future that 'just one' is back on the slippery slope. It's not worth it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Go on DRF

You can do it! :clap:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I just decided to give up one day about 15 years ago and have never missed it. Don't know what the fuss is about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here