Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV Sport. Why?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Man of Harveys said:
Could someone please point out to those MONGTARDS at ITV Sport that the referee is not there in order to hype the game up further and make sure that the English side wins, but rather to enforce the rules of the game as he sees it and be fair to both sides?

Gangster Venables and those other two chubby TURDS weren't even THAT bothered afterwards about whether the decisions to send Lehmann off and not to give the first Barca goal offside were right (I think they both were), but whether they'd "ruined the spectacle"...I despair, I really do, as if that's the whole point and as if the European Cup Final needs bigging up any more.

Agreed.

But isn't it the Champions League Final;if it was still the European Cup,Arsenal would have got as far in it as the Albion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The standard of punditry and commentary on ITV and Sky is appalling.

For incisive, knowledgeable and fair views on football matters you can't beat Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement. It would be so refreshing to have, say, Brian Woolnough and Patrick Barclay in the studio at half-time, rather than the Laurel and Hardy show that is Townsend and McCoist.

And don't get me started on Ian Wright!...

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Man of Harveys said:
I would really, really like to watch televised football matches with no commentary but the crowd noise etc. Can't be beyond the wit of man these days, you'd have thought.

I remember seeing something about one of the US stations doing that as an idea this season in an NBA game - apparently the viewing figures were well up.

Maybe Sky should offer that as part of their Interactive service. Certainly listening to the Fanzone commentary is far more entertaining !

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Seagull over NZ said:
Certainly listening to the Fanzone commentary is far more entertaining !

Or "Ian Wright", as the BBC would call it. Not much entertaining about that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Man of Harveys said:
ITV Sport wasn't ALWAYS shite though. I'm not just saying it because he's dead but I always thought Brian Moore was an excellent commentator, primarily because of his genuine modesty and his knowing when to shut up.

Brian Moore sadly will be remembered for a few lapses in the latter years, when he was struggling - not least because his eyesight was not as good as it used to be.

However, in his prime he was surely the best. No poetry. No hype. Just genuine excitement at the drama unfolding in front of him, with the odd stat thrown in. The art of commentating on what's happening , rather than proving how clever you are all the time, seems to be dead.

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
Whats the point of those too idiots standing behind that stupid pod/podium thing...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Man of Harveys said:
I would really, really like to watch televised football matches with no commentary but the crowd noise etc. Can't be beyond the wit of man these days, you'd have thought.

Interestingly(or maybe not), I can watch dutch football with only the crowd noise. It's actually a little un-nerving.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Watched the game on Sky last night, and was slightly amused by the time and effort spent trying to prove Eto'o s goal was offside, whilst at the same time completely ignoring the fact that Campbell scored from a free kick given for a foul that wasn't.

Personally I feel ITV should be BANNED from any sort of sports coverage - give it all to the beeb if possible, Sky if not. Watching footy on the beeb and electing to listen to Alan Green and the other 5 llive chaps is far more entertaining.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Shirty said:
electing to listen to Alan Green and the other 5 llive chaps is far more entertaining.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Bag.

Anyone but Alan Green. He loves himself way too much.

with apologies to bag.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Terry Venables' comedy impression of Sven Goran Eriksson last night was utterly excruciating.

David Pleat is increasingly like a 94 year old resident of a care home, with his inane rambling and refusal to surrender to any kind of foreign pronunciation (though I did laugh when he said "the sight is in end" for Arsenal).

I never knew the surname Henry could be pronounced so many ways- Hen-ry, On-ry, Arn-ry, never mind the even more exotic names. JOhn Motson, with his "Drog-baaaaaaaaaaaaa" is the only person who comes close to Pleat's mangled English.

And Ally McCoist and Andy Townsend- well I just fail to see the point. i get the feeling some ITV exec imagines they bring a touch of wit and irreverence to proceedings, when all they do is add cringe-worthy pseudo-flirting with Gabby Logan and further proof that most football shows select their presenters purely on the basis of the old-buddy network.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here