Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV Highlights - pathetic with a capital PAH

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Bearing in mind it was bottom and second from botom, not actually going to pull in the crowds.

Two of the most newsworthy clubs in the country at the moment.. as the back pages of most of the papers this morning would also show. Newcastle v Spurs, sadly, is a guaranteed audience. Brighton 2 Man City 2 (5-3 aet) is possibly a better one, but Brighton 0 Man City 2 as a main game would have been an absolute switch-off.. and let's face it, pre-match, that seemed a lot more likely. The TV companies have to play the percentages according to likely results.. they don't have the luxury of sending one man and a laptop like the papers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Guardian didn't have ANYTHING on the match overnight.

Almost as if they finish work at 22.00, in fact.

The London Metro had "Brighton 1 Man City 1 (extra time being played)"

I mean what's the point in that eh? eh? eh?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
it was so so bad was really pissed off. Couldnt go to the match listened to it on the radio then sat through 2 predictable extended highlights games waiting up for our turn.
utterly useless

formerdutchmarine

Sep 25, 2008
Sky Sports news coverage was pretty good, they showed highlights every half hour or so last night, hopefully after last night the Derby game will get a bit more coverage

The London Metro had "Brighton 1 Man City 1 (extra time being played)"

I mean what's the point in that eh? eh? eh?

As it happens I gather the Portsmouth Chelsea match was so predictable as to be boring.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Bearing in mind the viewing figures would be higher for Brighton v Man City (due to combined support figures)the ONLY explanation for ITV showing extended highlights of Parmpy v Yawnski over our game is that they are unimaginative,unromantic numbnuts.And that is unforgiveable in the entertainment business.How are these people still employed?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bearing in mind the viewing figures would be higher for Brighton v Man City (due to combined support figures)the ONLY explanation for ITV showing extended highlights of Parmpy v Yawnski over our game is that they are unimaginative,unromantic numbnuts.And that is unforgiveable in the entertainment business.How are these people still employed?

Actually, thinking about it, its probably more to do with pre-booked advertising revenue. I would guess ITV have to tell their advertisers in advance which game(s) they will be giving top billing to in their highlights package, and set a price according to that. They can't then chop the Newcastle v Spurs down to the goals roundup and make our game the main feature instead, on the basis that it turned out to be a shock result. In hindsight our match was obviously FAR more interesting to the neutral than Newcastles, but had we slipped to a comfortable defeat, nobody would have bothered with ours either.

Damn, I think I've just bollocksed up my own BITCHFEST.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Drives me round the bend , ITV see us as some outpost of football, perhaps when we get Falmer and offer them padded seats and free prawn sandwiches they may change their view, however I doubt it....

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
fairly reasonable effort by Meridian , we got more airtime then Pompey :ohmy:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I couldn't find any paper that had the final result in today, other than the Argus obviously.

The Metro, Mirror and The Mail (not my choice, just papers that were lying around) all reported the match went into extra time and that was it.

Lazy bastards.

And now it's yesterdays news it's not going to get into any of tomorrow's papers is it?

Our big time moment of glory and none of the nationals have run the story

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
South East Today did a good job on it too :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
. They can't then chop the Newcastle v Spurs down to the goals roundup and make our game the main feature instead, on the basis that it turned out to be a shock result. In hindsight our match was obviously FAR more interesting to the neutral than Newcastles, but had we slipped to a comfortable defeat, nobody would have bothered with ours either.

If there'd been more cameras there, they'd have made it the lead match without a doubt. But you can't put a commentary on single camera coverage even for a short edit - let alone the main game. Put it this way, if someone could have said with certainty that League One Brighton would beat Man City, they'd have chosen the game for sure... it's not a personal vendetta...

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I couldn't find any paper that had the final result in today, other than the Argus obviously.

The Metro, Mirror and The Mail (not my choice, just papers that were lying around) all reported the match went into extra time and that was it.

Lazy bastards.

And now it's yesterdays news it's not going to get into any of tomorrow's papers is it?

Our big time moment of glory and none of the nationals have run the story

i picked up a current bun at 6.30 this morning and the full result was in that

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am so glad someone started this thread. My first thought watching ITV last night was how utterly dull it was to be watching Newcastle Spurs. Not only was I enraged by not showing more than 20 seconds of our game, I felt bloody awful for QPR, beating a decent Villa side away from home and gettin about the same coverage. Total garbage... at least the BBC would normally try and cover smaller teams in the FA Cup. GETS ON MY TITS

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
ITV even managed to make the highlights of their "main" games desperately tedious. The Newcastle game was like watching a pre-season friendly in an empty stadium. Neither of the teams were interested, none of the players showed any particular skill, and there appeared to be nobody watching (and I know there was supposed to be c19,000 there but in a ground that holds over 52,000 it looked almost completely empty). The Portsmouth game was just a waste of everyone's time. And as for the supposed "expert analysis" in between games, I have heard more profoundity coming from a bowl of rice-crispies.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
That's....because...Matt Smith...is...a...f***ing...chisla...who...is...incapable...of...finishing..a...sentence...in...under...5...MINUTES

city boy lee

Sep 25, 2008
It's the same but higher up over here in Oz. City are currently the least shown side in the premiership and after putting 6 past Pompey while Oz watched (myself included) the dire Man U Chelsea match, the sports roundup on pay tv here had highlights of their game and just showed our score. Unbeleivable. Thought it would be better in Engalnd, obviously not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here