It's Snowing in Walsall again!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
says on my Walsall ticket

Ticket will be valid on re-arranged date in case of postponement

No refunds will be given. <<<<

Oh yeah?, see you court Mr Bescot!

Blatantly illegal.

:D Your lawsuit will fall at the first hurdle, as you will be wishing to sue Mr Bonser. I am pretty sure that Bescot is the area in which the stadium sits.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
:thud: Oh joy. Another one.

Really?

When did you first hear about the inspection or possibility of one?

It didn't matter for me as I don't leave home until 1:30 or so

But it's a courtesy to fans outside the area (including away)

At least fans can make their own minds whether to risk a long journey or not.

But to spring an inspection on people 4 hours before a match is incompetent at best, then the f***ing ref blanks the groundsman and says it's on just compounds the issue (club not at fault).

I believe the club should have informed the relevant media on Friday that depending on overnight conditions there may be a possibility of an inspection.

At least long distance travellers could have checked in again either before they left or en route!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really?

But to spring an inspection on people 4 hours before a match is incompetent at best, then the f***ing ref blanks the groundsman and says it's on just compounds the issue (club not at fault).

I believe the club should have informed the relevant media on Friday that depending on overnight conditions there may be a possibility of an inspection.

At least long distance travellers could have checked in again either before they left or en route!

Not forgetting that it took over half an hour for the announcement that the match was cancelled to make Radio 5 Live who were giving regular updates.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Still took over half an hour for the announcement that the match was cancelled to make Radio 5 Live who were giving regular updates.

Well I guess they have more important things to discuss, like Ronaldos latest pay rise!

On a personal note I will be going direct to the source by phone if the match is in doubt, Walsall FC general office!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Really?

:thud:

You wanted results of a pitch inspection BEFORE it takes place? You want a pitch inspection BEFORE it's relevant to do one? A pitch inspection is at the behest of the referee.

The pitch inspection took place at 1pm. At the time of the inspection the pitch was actually playable. In the referee's opinion, it would have been unplayable for later. It was that fine cut a decision. The information was in the public domain by 1.10pm. That's pretty fast going.

Even if the club had informed the media of a possible pitch inspection in the following morning, what difference would that have made to away fans coming along? They still wouldn't have known until the decision until the pitch inspection took place.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
:thud:

You wanted results of a pitch inspection BEFORE it takes place? You want a pitch inspection BEFORE it's relevant to do one? A pitch inspection is at the behest of the referee.

The pitch inspection took place at 1pm. At the time of the inspection the pitch was actually playable. In the referee's opinion, it would have been unplayable for later. It was that fine cut a decision. The information was in the public domain by 1.10pm. That's pretty fast going.

Even if the club had informed the media of a possible pitch inspection in the following morning, what difference would that have made to away fans coming along? They still wouldn't have known until the decision until the pitch inspection took place.

I understood that there were two inspections?

One at 11:30 (game on) the other at 13:00 (game off).

Although it's the referees decision ultimately, he was told by the groundsman at the first inspection that the pitch would not improve due to the sun level.

Ref disagreed and the rest is history.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I understood that there were two inspections?

One at 11:30 (game on) the other at 13:00 (game off).

Although it's the referees decision ultimately, he was told by the groundsman at the first inspection that the pitch would not improve due to the sun level.

Ref disagreed and the rest is history.

I agree the referee's first decision was baffling in the light of the second one.

But why are you blaming the club? The ref chose to ignore the professional advice.

The club got the information out very quickly.

I was told at just before five past one, admittedly through luck rather than judgement - I was in the Club Shop at the time and Ian Green, the shop manager was on the phone and bawled across to me that the game was off. The Club SMS text was in by 1.10. You can thank 5 Live for the tardy notice of 1.30 seeing as all media (press, radio, TV, club text, website etc) would have been told at the same time.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
But why are you blaming the club?

The club got the information out very quickly.

I think my only real beef with the club is lack of advance warning.

As in, the temperature was forecast at way below zero for Friday night, as it had been all week. Fans, although we could make an educated guess as to the state of the pitch surely the club could have said via the website, text etc that the pitch was well protected but due to the forecast there might be the possibility of a pitch inspection (similar to horse race meetings) then at least fans could be forewarned.

As said, it didn't affect me, I'm thinking more about the out of area travellers!

But to an earlier point you made. I guess the club was in a no win situation.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
yes, but only for the earlier lack of communication. No other reason.

I reckon that's VERY generous of you Mr C. If the game had actually gone ahead & we'd lost: I'd have blamed The Club for not calling it off! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here