Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] It's Not you, Its Me Musical Blind Spots

Jul 20, 2003
I'm with you on that. Like a lot of the grunge lot I see Pearl Jam as a dodgy metal band who grabbed their big chance on the back of the Seattle sound breakthrough. They always sounded like absolutely all of their influences were from huge classic rock bands in contrast with Cobain's love of the ephemeral underground. If one rock band is looking for inspiration from Led Zep and Kiss and another from the Vaselines and the Meat Puppets, its not hard to guess which is likely to produce something different sounding and interesting.

Eddie Vedder is the sort of **** who throws a towel into the crowd at the end of a show and Pearl Jam fans are the sort of twats who would fight (limply) over it.

Awful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I could probably make a list longer than [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION]'s of things I don't like, but the only one that I think I really should like and don't is Nick Cave.

And on that subject Harry, what aspect of Freddie Garrity's supreme and visionary musical talent is it that you think you should like but can't :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU6OmSK5v9g

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really like UB40s Signing off, cracking album.

I concur with the majority on their subsequent output, I don’t think there is one song they covered that they improved.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have no idea if he was right or not, but I spent a day in the company of a Pixies mega-fan (he was the friend of a friend & we all went to the Oval for a test match).

He had a MASSIVE bee in his bonnet about anyone calling them The Pixies, so it was amusing to 'innocently' keep referring to them using the definite article and watch him get slowly more worked up as the day wore on and the beers flowed. By the end of the post-cricket curry, he was ready to fight the other 4 of us, while we were in stitches. People are weird.

So, Mellotron, if you really want to get on board and enjoy Pixies, perhaps you need to drop the 'The' for starters?

Yeah, I think he’s right actually. Funny to get worked up about it though.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Try as I might, I just cannot get into The Fall.

It's just like olives or bone-dry fino sherry. You just have to work your way through the unpleasantness and then suddenly your world goes from black and white into full technicolor.

Admittedly a lot of their material was pretty awful. But for me the back catalogue is an almost bottomless well of enjoyment.

Personally I don't enjoy that Beach Boys sound, for what it's worth.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm also not that fond of The Who

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The one I always think of is AC/DC but I also can’t stand Def Leppard. I actually think the latter sound like a poor imitation of the former, so no real surprise there. Otherwise, I really like metal music and even went to the Monsters of Rock festival that AC/DC headlined. They were terrible!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
David Bowie.

I can see how influential he was but I just don't like him or his music. The Thin White Duke was a horrible character somehow immortalised by the fact it was Bowie who invented him.

And I thought Blackstar was awful - somehow made amazing because it was released posthumously.

I'm with you. I like a handful of his tunes but the man was a charlatan. A fake. He spent the early years of his career trying anything to get famous. From novelty comedy songs to children's TV presenter, he tried loads of avenues, most of it sell-out crap.
When you see interviews from the time he was huge, he is clearly quite confused how people were falling for it. And he spouts pretentious, art-school poncery in so many interviews.
Marc Bolan was a much more genuine performer, IMO.

Nick cave - Don't get it.

The Fall - Nope.

The Beatles - I keep trying to understand the appeal. Never can.

Michael Jackson - Genius? No dear.

Metallica - Music for teenagers who can't get laid.

Sleaford Mods - Just dire. Noise. I really don't see how anyone can get past two songs. I saw them live and thought this must be some kind of extended, demented intro. Three songs in it was clear that this was their entire act. oh. We left.

And in defense of Pearl Jam ( a tremendous band) they have stood the test of time, grown as musicians and continue to produce fresh, exciting music. IMO.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Radiohead.
Bob Dylan.

I've tried, I really have. And perserverance sometimes does pay off, as it took me years to "get" The Beach Boys and David Bowie, but now Low and Pet Sounds are two of my favourite albums, while Brian Wilson's Smile is quite simply a revelation.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I don't get the Bruce Springsteen love-in from Brits.

Toploader make me angry, but I guess they're non-entities. Most musicals make me cringe - relevant to me as my wife likes them.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Foo Fighters. I think they are unadulterated shit.
The Levellers - even though a good friend of mine is a member of the band.
Radiohead - God knows I have tried.
Idles, Yard Act - dull, trying too hard.
Muse, Queen, U2, bombastic nonsense

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Foo Fighters. I think they are unadulterated shit.
The Levellers - even though a good friend of mine is a member of the band.
Radiohead - God knows I have tried.
Idles, Yard Act - dull, trying too hard.
Muse, Queen, U2, bombastic nonsense

Agree with most of that esp Foo Fighters. Overrated dinner party rock.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw them at Wembley Stadium in 1986 at the Queen Kind of Magic tour with the Alarm and Status Quo. All four acts were great.

Me to! INXS opened and were new to most people. I knew of them as I had taped an Aussie gig of theirs off the tv a few weeks earlier. I was at the first of the two nights and remember someone throwing an orange and the Michael Hutchins caught it quite casually in his hand.

It was an amazing gig, and for me the Queen bit was quite life changing as it set me on my path to move to the bright lights of London.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually Blackstar was released two days before he died! Most of the (glowing) reviews were written without the journalists knowing how ill he was.
I remember listening to the album on the train to work, when the the news alerts came through on my phone about his death.
It was very hard to listen to after that, but it was definitely worth it.

I’m not a big Bowie fan but Black Star is quite a stunning contemporary album IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Music is an oddity for me. I can argue in an empty room about most things but music never gets my goat. If I don’t like something I just move on. If someone else likes or dislikes something I don’t, no problem. I’m of view that all music is valid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here