Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "It's not VAR, it's the people running it"

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
So i sit here tonight reflecting on " the goal that never was " and still feel bitter that a moment of great euphoria for an individual player , the team , manager , staff , owner and fans was cancelled out by what is simply nitpicking . A superb strike worthy of any occasion , goal of the season quality , expunged . Instead of being savoured and talked about endlessly down the years it was consigned to the dumpster like a piece of trash . Is this what we have come to ?
It even affected my reaction to the trossard goal as i could not celebrate wildly for fear of having more joy sucked from me .
VAR what a shitshow !!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the thing is, most of us in the crowd or watching on TV know when something is likely to need reviewing or not. That's why we all, still, instinctively glance over at the linesman to see if the flag is up. We know when something feels as though it 'may be offside', we know when something may have been a foul in the build-up, bot us, and the players know it. And in those instances, the celebrations are a little muted anyway - because you're half expecting a VAR look.

It's just these last three this weekend have been totally ridiculous. No-one would have minded at all if all three goals had stood as given by the on-field ref - not the opposition, no-one. The players looked totally bemused when waiting for a decision - when everyone assumed it was a perfectly good goal. I couldn't even celebrate Trossard's goal, as I just assumed that they would find something somewhere that no-one had seen.

And I suppose in direct answer to your question - it should be the on-field ref who decides whether he feels a need to go to the VAR. He could immediately make a 'goal' signal, or a 'hang-on, I think VAR needs to have a look' signal. Put the power back in the hands of the on-field ref.

Yep - unless perhaps VAR chappie has spotted a ‘clear and obvious’ error (in real time) that the ref has no clue about, in which case he’s on the mike instantly saying ‘hang on, we need to check that one’.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think the thing is, most of us in the crowd or watching on TV know when something is likely to need reviewing or not. That's why we all, still, instinctively glance over at the linesman to see if the flag is up. We know when something feels as though it 'may be offside', we know when something may have been a foul in the build-up, bot us, and the players know it. And in those instances, the celebrations are a little muted anyway - because you're half expecting a VAR look.

It's just these last three this weekend have been totally ridiculous. No-one would have minded at all if all three goals had stood as given by the on-field ref - not the opposition, no-one. The players looked totally bemused when waiting for a decision - when everyone assumed it was a perfectly good goal. I couldn't even celebrate Trossard's goal, as I just assumed that they would find something somewhere that no-one had seen.

And I suppose in direct answer to your question - it should be the on-field ref who decides whether he feels a need to go to the VAR. He could immediately make a 'goal' signal, or a 'hang-on, I think VAR needs to have a look' signal. Put the power back in the hands of the on-field ref.

And there you go - the Arsenal goal that was ruled out. It 'felt' like a foul on Erikkson straight away.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
**** alert, to be very honest:

View attachment 151554

Him and German Genius are always defending career-ending challenges as 'all part of a man's game', and can do one, do it now, right now, and keep on doing it, till their cruciates snap with a pleasing twang. ???

Was never sure about him and remarks like that HWt , but when you see better than him go that way ,you have to wonder what he was thinking , it annoyed me today to see keane the POS after ending Alf Inge Haalands career .

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I'll never understand why football doesn't have a cricket-style appeals system.

All eyes would be on the captain and benches for 10/15-seconds. Gonna appeal? No, right, we'll continue our celebrations...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
VAR was awful when it first came in, and various issues were immediately addressed eg the introduction of clear and obvious error . It seemed to improve but this season it’s gone back to being awful, and not just our game today. What has changed?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well the MOTD2 trio all said the Mac A thunderbolt should’ve stood. The Albion player didn't touch the ball and the LCFC player Justin’s movement occurred before the Albion player attempted to play the ball.

A case of VAR and then ref failing to see the wood for the trees. Examining the minutiae of detail and lines, missing the key part.

Mac A was robbed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just got to this thread and not going to read all through it, but it absolutely is VAR as a system to blame. Any system which routinely takes forever to pour through the minutiae is just totally incompatible with football fan culture. They've had years to tweak it or make it better and if they haven't by now they never will. As it stands it's intolerable.

It should be removed from our game.

It’s PICNIC

Problem In Chair Not In Computer

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I was so angry after the goal was ruled out that i took myself away from the action for 10 minutes and enjoyed a cup of coffee on the concourse - luckily i came back in time to see justice and a great last 20 minutes . But whilst i was on the concourse all alone i thought about handing in my season ticket - that is the effect of VAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t quite go that far, but did think about leaving after the ridiculous decision to disallow the goal. I instead sat in my seat looking at the ground trying to work out how I was going to continue enjoying the game and managed to slowly turn it around in my head that the fun killers mustn’t win.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was never sure about him and remarks like that HWt , but when you see better than him go that way ,you have to wonder what he was thinking , it annoyed me today to see keane the POS after ending Alf Inge Haalands career .

Point of order - Keane did not end Alf Inge Haalands career.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I thought the Mac Allister banger was going to be one of those where it looked inexplicable to rule out in real time but then made sense after watching it back.

Yeah, no, it's just a ****ing shite decision by a bunch of incompetent ****s.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Goal line technology is great, even if England may not have won the 1966 World Cup if it was in place at the time.

This VAR system should only be used on anything that is not subjective. I am furious despite the result that an incredible goal was ruled out by knit picking, and even that was probably wrong.
Imagine if that goal was scored at 2-2 90 minutes and 3 minutes in stoppage time.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
You've really got to hate the game of football to want to find fault with a goal like that soppy kaka should take up reviewing the prices in Lidl,sorry Lidl workers no disrespect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has there, or will there be, an official response from the on-pitch and/or VAR referee?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yep - unless perhaps VAR chappie has spotted a ‘clear and obvious’ error (in real time) that the ref has no clue about, in which case he’s on the mike instantly saying ‘hang on, we need to check that one’.

That would be quite a big change to the process. At the moment they hunt down ‘clear and obvious errors’ by spending sometimes four and a half minutes scouring slow motion replays. Is anyone on here defending that because that’s nothing to do with how good or bad the VAR refs are ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But you're not getting the right outcome. Look at these cock up's that have been happening this weekend. You're getting the wrong decisions made a very long time after the event.

There was also a penalty in the Brentford v Leeds game this weekend that took about 5 mins

If they were taking 5 minutes to achieve decisions which were fair, accurate and understandable, then there would be a case for retaining it, but they aren't, so there isn't.

Going round in circles here. I was acknowledging that some people see the solution to bad decisions made using VAR as removing VAR. I accept this is a view but I don't agree with it. That's all.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Going round in circles here. I was acknowledging that some people see the solution to bad decisions made using VAR as removing VAR. I accept this is a view but I don't agree with it. That's all.

But they've been continually trying to tweak or improve it since it's inception and it's still dragging the game down to new lows. We've got the officials we've got, so any solution along the lines of "we keep it, but use it better" are obviously doomed to failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here