Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IT'S HERE !!!!! .... spoiler !!!!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Post arrived. Nothing for me, despite being early S/T holder, early AMEX purchaser etc.

What to do next?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The store has to follow the correct procedure as per the t/c's. The terminal will advise on how the card should be used. i.e. Chip and pin, Swipe and sign. If the store fails to do the correct procedure they will be liable for the loss (if charge has been disputed)
The pin number taken from ATM machines is taken from the magstripe...not the chip. The fraudster would need the original card to use in a chip and pin machine as of today the chip can not be counterfeited.
Ah right, I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
originally posted by spellfast

Any one tried to top up their smartcard. I logged on but can't find any smartcard logo to click on??

I found that too, the instuctions in the paperwork don't seem to be correct. There is, as you say, no ST/smart card logo to click on to. If you go into account details there is no logo and no obvious way of topping up.

Looks cool though !

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
poltergeist.gif

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Got mine!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It's to make the transaction more secure. If the shop uses the swipe and sign method, there is more of a risk that the transaction could be fraudulent, so greater the risk that money will be lost.

More secure is a debatable subject, the real difference is that with the chip and pin it is regarded as theft not fraud as it was with the magstripe. Therefore merchants have instantly reduced cases of fraud as they are now classed as theft which can be hidden in the figures for shoplifting. But as the magstripe still contains the same data as the chip - its it more secure?

I am guessing these cards are not smartcards but RFID tokens.

DanielT

I'm waiting for the day when we all have to have chips and aerials installed under the skin, then there'll be no need for separate cards, passports or National ID cards at all.

Trouble is that the crims, instead of stealing your wallet, will just try to cut your arm off instead............ But at least turning up to a cashpoint with a severed arm might just arouse a bit of suspicion on the part of the CCTV operator, or the bank.

From what I have read and heard, things like thumbprint readers and iris scanners (at least the ones where they matter, like passport, banking etc) detect heat and blood circulation, so the thumb or eye needs to be living. Criminals would therefore need you alive but can then kill you afterwards. Nice eh!!

But this knowledge still doesn't change the fact that my smart card didn't arrive :tantrum:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
not a sausage

:facepalm::tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Hooray...mine was waiting for me when I got home. It's amazing. I love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here