Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IT'S HERE !!!!! .... spoiler !!!!

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
As it's a contactless ticket reading system the club have, a visible electrical contact ( like with a SIM card ) isn't necessary. You only get them on debit cards because not ALL cash machines are contactless, some still require ( depending on the model of cash machine ) an electrical contact with the chip, rather than the 'transponder' contactless ones use ( i.e. the ticket transmits a radio signal to the ticket reader and is powered by electrical induction, in the same way a Oral-B toothbrush is charged up - the ticket reader emits a high power magnetic field that the ticket can use to generate the small voltage to power the transponder ).

I strongly suggest that you DON'T try to cut the card up to find the chip, as you will break the aerial used to power the chip and transmit the data.

so in summary, we can brush our teeth as we go in ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? Where used, which is pretty much everywhere in the UK now, it's simple 2 factor authentication - something you have (the card) and something you know (the PIN). Swipe and sign is only 1FA given you just need the card (the ability to roughly copy the signature already on the card adds no security at all).
But if the chip machine goes down, it is back to the old manual swipe and sign method.

And I'm sure there are shops who will accept swipe and sign in situations where you have "forgotten" your pin, so really what use is it?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
My ones arrived :)

my Stepdads , Sisters and Mums hasn't

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Mine arrived just as I had finished uploading the new timelapse.

albionite

May 20, 2009
But if the chip machine goes down, it is back to the old manual swipe and sign method.

And I'm sure there are shops who will accept swipe and sign in situations where you have "forgotten" your pin, so really what use is it?

It's to make the transaction more secure. If the shop uses the swipe and sign method, there is more of a risk that the transaction could be fraudulent, so greater the risk that money will be lost.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's to make the transaction more secure. If the shop uses the swipe and sign method, there is more of a risk that the transaction could be fraudulent, so greater the risk that money will be lost.
I know, but:

* there is nothing to stop the store accepting swipe and sign. It is no skin off their nose if the transaction is fraudulent as they are protected anyhow
* criminals are already capable of making copies of credit cards and extracting pin numbers from cash points because the pin is held on the card. They can now present one of these fraudulent cards into a chip and pin machine, type in the correct pin and nobody would ever no it was a fraudulent transaction.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Yay ! They're here!!

Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's offtoTheAmex we go ....

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'm waiting for the day when we all have to have chips and aerials installed under the skin, then there'll be no need for separate cards, passports or National ID cards at all.

Trouble is that the crims, instead of stealing your wallet, will just try to cut your arm off instead............ But at least turning up to a cashpoint with a severed arm might just arouse a bit of suspicion on the part of the CCTV operator, or the bank.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I know, but:

* there is nothing to stop the store accepting swipe and sign. It is no skin off their nose if the transaction is fraudulent as they are protected anyhow
* criminals are already capable of making copies of credit cards and extracting pin numbers from cash points because the pin is held on the card. They can now present one of these fraudulent cards into a chip and pin machine, type in the correct pin and nobody would ever no it was a fraudulent transaction.

The store has to follow the correct procedure as per the t/c's. The terminal will advise on how the card should be used. i.e. Chip and pin, Swipe and sign. If the store fails to do the correct procedure they will be liable for the loss (if charge has been disputed)
The pin number taken from ATM machines is taken from the magstripe...not the chip. The fraudster would need the original card to use in a chip and pin machine as of today the chip can not be counterfeited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here