Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Its finally over

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It does seem a shame when the potential pool of callers would have increased massively from next season, and yes that would have included Crawley fans too.

A phone-in lives and dies by the quality of the callers, and sadly it appears they were lacking in both number and quality. I think this situation would have changed next season, as indeed would the listening figures as the interest in the Albion has exploded within the county.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Absolutely crazy timing from the BBC, just when we might get a number of new callers, a much bigger fan-base and doubtless far more to talk about including perhaps coverage of our newest football league club in Sussex - Crawley. It was part of the routine to switch in on during the trip home from the game.

Harty might have been a bit non PC sometimes, but he was charismatic and passionate and that always came across. Ward, however, is probably the most unsuited person I have ever heard on a phone in and doubtless got the job through his media contacts. I am afraid he completely ruined it for me with his dull ramlings and that is the reason I switched off but it could be turned around so easily with a new presenting team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We'll all be hanging around in the bars at Falmer, drinking, talking and watching replays and highlights on the big screens and would miss the phone in anyway so all they'd have would be calls from people who weren't even there..probably.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Could never really see the point of it TBH. Why do I want to listen to the views about a game I've just seen from someone who wasn't even there? Only ever listened to it if I wanted to hear the manager's interview but each time reminded me why I hadn't tuned in for a while. Won't be missed by me.

Believe you me Ady is NOT posh. Alan would like to pretend he is but he is merely an appalling ponce.
Ady and Alan have what Harty had ... a combination of a fair amount of knowledge, a lot of sound opinions and a fair amount of rubbish opinions.

Sadly, the phone-in of late has been deficient in at least two of those qualities.

Mar 10, 2006
Could never see the point of the phone in starting at five. Most games didn't finish till that time. If you are gonna do a phone in have it starting about half five when most people have left the ground and got to their cars etc. That is why we ended up with so many phoning in who didn't go to the game

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Mike Ward is dreadful, and that Southern FM chump. But a bad phone in is better than no phone in, because it could always improve.

There was a note in one of the programs towards the end of the season about them possibly doing away with the commentary due to budget cuts, that would be a disaster.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is it part of the BBC cost reduction strategy ? No phone in after the game would allow Radio Sussex , Hampshire , Surrey and Kent to output a shared 45 minute long pre-recorded drivetime show.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Is it part of the BBC cost reduction strategy ? No phone in after the game would allow Radio Sussex , Hampshire , Surrey and Kent to output a shared 45 minute long pre-recorded drivetime show.

A shared hour-long football show would be the ideal. All the league and non-league action from around the four counties ??? Would get thousands of listeners I would have thought...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The phone in was at it's best when people were angry and had issues.

We had a great season and there was little to moan about, little controvesy but makes for a boring show.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
A shared hour-long football show would be the ideal. All the league and non-league action from around the four counties ??? Would get thousands of listeners I would have thought...

Maybe would work with just fans from different clubs ringing in...imagine an away fan giving one opinion then a home fan comes on and has a go. Not so sure about hearing reports from matches though...be too long winded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here